file the 5th edition precons

06 Jan 2022 16:01 #104389 by TobyB
Ok, so I bought the box set with the five precons just to be done with it. Are these considered ok balanced, fun and good for learning the game?

If not, ill still build the ones on Bretts homepage for my little demo tomorrow.

gamingwithbs.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/demo-deck-series-clan-brujah/

Actually, now that I look at them, they look rather similar. Better and more interesting crypt in the new ones, though. Maybe a bit more complicated?

also, is it going to be annoying for us, that the 5th ed precons are so big? I sort of liked that Bretts precons were only 60 card libraries.

Long story short; have any of you guys tried these out and if so how do they play?

thanks for all the super meningfull help the last couple of days.

best,
Tobias

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2022 17:28 #104390 by kschaefer
Replied by kschaefer on topic the 5th edition precons
Yes, this box set is designed to be balanced and good for learning the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TobyB

More
06 Jan 2022 18:07 - 06 Jan 2022 19:51 #104391 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic the 5th edition precons

Ok, so I bought the box set with the five precons just to be done with it. Are these considered ok balanced, fun and good for learning the game?

Yes, that box was designed to be balanced and entertaining to play as a "stand alone game" before diving in to more advanced stuff. It was tested in several rounds with 100-ish playtesters. However, note that the decks showcase different deck types (stealth-bleed, wall, toolbox and two political variants), because VTES is an asymmetrical game.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 06 Jan 2022 19:51 by Ashur.

More
06 Jan 2022 18:50 #104392 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic the 5th edition precons
The decks are the size the are since that number or cards fits into a tuckbox.

In many, if not most cases, decks tend to function better and more consistently the less cards they have.

Then again, depending on deck type, you might run out of deck so experience will show you which deck types have a better card flow and eat up more cards than 60.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
06 Jan 2022 19:55 #104394 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic the 5th edition precons

also, is it going to be annoying for us, that the 5th ed precons are so big? I sort of liked that Bretts precons were only 60 card libraries.

They´re not very big, they´re 77 cards. Most of my decks is around 72-77 cards. Some are thinner, some a bit thicker. I assure you, running out of cards is not a nice experience for a new player - and that is far from impossible if you play for example stealth-bleed or combat and wants to sweep the whole table :)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
06 Jan 2022 20:11 #104395 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic the 5th edition precons
We played them in my group when they first came out for the fun of playing precons that are balanced against each other which they are....I would say as usual if the stealth bleeder is left alone it will be the easiest deck to win with. Political we found a bit more difficult (as there are plenty of titles around in the decks) but still playable and fun as it really creates the need for negotiations highlighting this part of the game well.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds