file Timeouts are boring

29 Nov 2012 02:33 #41979 by Wedge
Timeouts are boring was created by Wedge
Timeouts are boring, more the playing of such games is boring. Below I have included the rules for winning a game of V:TES and V:TES tournament. To be fair I have never played without a time limit nor do I want too play a single game for more than a couple of hours. But the winner of a game of V:TES is the one with the most VPs(not less than two). Last weekend my playgroup tested the the change I had suggested in Finals are boring 1,2 or 3. In ten games there were no timeouts without a game win.

So here once again,

If there is no winner at 2 hrs, time will continue until the moment there is.
If the game ends with a 2vp/2vp/1vp split, Seed will break the 2vp tie.

I cannot say if it was rule changing the mindset or the player themselves, but I'd like to think it was the former.

9.1. Victory Points

When a Methuselah runs out of pool counters, she is ousted from the game. If you are ousted, all the cards you control are removed from the game. Any of your opponents' cards you control are returned to them at the end of the game. Any of your cards controlled by other Methuselahs remain in play as normal (see The Golden Rule of Card Ownership, sec. 1.3). The game continues until only one Methuselah is left. You get a victory point whenever the Methuselah who is your prey is ousted (no matter how or by whom your prey was ousted). You receive an additional victory point if you are the last player left. At the end of the game, the winner is the player with the most victory points, even if she has been ousted. Along with a victory point, you gain six pool from the blood bank when your prey is ousted.

EXCEPTION: If a player is ousted at the same time that her prey is ousted, the player gets the victory point but does not gain 6 pool.

When your prey is ousted, the next Methuselah to your left (the ousted Methuselah's prey) becomes your new prey, and you become her new predator.

3.1.1. Round Time Limits

Each round in the tournament has a time limit. The minimum time limit used in V:TES rounds is two hours. The time limit must be announced before play begins. The final round may last longer than the preliminary rounds, at the judge's option.
When the round is over the judge will direct all players to put their cards down. All play must immediately cease.

3.7. Determining a Game Winner

There are three different types of scoring points in V:TES tournaments:

Game Wins are awarded to the winner of each game.
Victory Points are awarded when a player's prey is ousted and when a player survives a round (or as otherwise specified in the game rules or by effects of cards played, but with only a half Victory Point awarded for withdrawal).
Tournament Points are awarded based on a player's table ranking at the end of a round.

3.7.1. Game Win Scoring

A player receives a Game Win at the end of a game in which they have received at least two (2) Victory Points and have more Victory Points than any other player in the game. (No game win is awarded in the case of ties.)

3.7.5. Final Round Scoring

The player with the highest total of Victory Points from the final round only is the tournament winner. In the event of a tie, the players' rankings at the end of the preliminary rounds will be the deciding tiebreaker. The rest of the finalists tie for second, with no additional criteria considered to attempt to break that tie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2012 17:07 #42026 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Timeouts are boring
Red emphasizes the rules we already have.

I like your suggestion:

If there is no winner at 2 hrs, time will continue until the moment there is.
If the game ends with a 2vp/2vp/1vp split, Seed will break the 2vp tie.

I'd like something a bit like this however:

If there is no game winner at the end of regulation time, the game will continue until the moment there is.
If the game ends with a 2vp/2vp/1vp split, last man standing will break the 2vp tie.

The only sticking point with this rule is that some venues absolutely must close at a certain time. But, again, since this is a final, I don't see why this method of determining a winner could not be chosen by the tournament organizer based on the characteristics of their event.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
29 Nov 2012 17:58 - 29 Nov 2012 20:20 #42030 by Wedge
Replied by Wedge on topic Re: Timeouts are boring
Your wording is clearer, thank you.

While I like the idea of last man standing, a game can end with 2/2 split and not have one. i.e. votes or fame/tension

As for time going over, it is less likely, because people will not be playing the clock, as we do now. It is interesting that we must play the clock(stall) or be guilty of not playing to win(maximize V.P.s) in some instances. I could see this version of sudden death included in the preliminary rounds. Based on the one day we playtested it, rounds would end quicker not longer.

Matt
Last edit: 29 Nov 2012 20:20 by Wedge. Reason: color to claify

More
29 Nov 2012 19:23 #42031 by Dorrinal
Replied by Dorrinal on topic Re: Timeouts are boring
Did you notice wall decks being more aggressive in backousting? I would do it if there was no risk of losing a timeout to my grandpredator.

:trem:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pendargon

More
29 Nov 2012 20:00 #42032 by mirddes
Replied by mirddes on topic Re: Timeouts are boring
i like it very much, i like jeff's refinement also.

last man standing as a tiebreaker seems obvious.

these changes breathe life into tournaments?

More
29 Nov 2012 20:26 #42033 by Pendargon
Replied by Pendargon on topic Re: Timeouts are boring
that is, effectively, playing without time limit. And it would favor immensely heavy wall decks with permanent resources.

Not sure it is a way to go

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds