times Counters Remembering Text

14 Sep 2011 22:14 - 25 Mar 2013 13:26 #10211 by Robert Scythe
With all these Shatter The Gate ideas I started thinking about counters remembering their text since shattered counters stay in play even if the Meth who played them is ousted. Vampiric Disease, Tegyrius Allegiance, et al. LSJ's ruling on Tegyrius counters is sound, though he had to double back when his first ruling was questioned groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/dc79355fe61285f7 . Well, what about Corruption counters? The ruling that the final counter used to steal the minion required the text to do so does not fit this logic. As long as even one counter on the minion had the text when placed it should remember it and be the counter 'used' when enough have gathered on the minion for it to be stealable, since (currently) the final counter does not care whether the others had the text or not.

Relevant text on Corruption, Venenation, Reformation, Contagion, Revelation of Ecstasy & Despair after the sentence placing the counter (same form used on Vampiric Disease, Shatter The Gate, Deploy The Hand, Tegyrius, etc):

If the number of your corruption counters on the minion equals or
exceeds the blood capacity of that vampire or the cost of that
ally, you may burn all of your corruption counters on that minion
to gain control of him or her.

Note: Reformation is only vampire.

I'd truly like to see Corruption counters given their text in the rules but even so, I do not see how they wouldn't be set off this way.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2013 13:26 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2011 03:52 #10219 by KevinM

I'd truly like to see Corruption counters given their text in the rules...

Just as with my friends that believe that Maleficia and Striga need to be codified in the rulebook, I don't understand this logic.

You use some cards/text to put a corruption counter upon a target and you use some cards/text to trigger the Corruption counter(s).

Why is more text and/or more rules and/or more rulings needed?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
15 Sep 2011 04:17 #10222 by Robert Scythe
That is not my main point for writing this, Kevin. I do not mind if corruption counters are not in the rules, though I'd like them to be, I was only questioning the logic behind not allowing the counters to remember their text like all the other cards that give counters do. I'm not trying to make Weigh The Heart, Nerfititi and the like more playable in this regard, just asking a rules question which doesn't follow the logic of other rulings. Perhaps you've asked a rules question before, why? Since you don't see a reason for anymore "rulings needed". It isn't about you or what you feel, be more objective. I know you can, you've done it before. You've only quoted the part that bothered you and not the rest of the sentence which shows that I'm not pining for such a rulebook change. Out of context you try to make me a fool, just stop, unless you have a reasonable argument on why these counters should forget their text, unlike the others.

More
15 Sep 2011 07:04 - 15 Sep 2011 07:06 #10236 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Counters Remembering Text

That is not my main point for writing this, Kevin. I do not mind if corruption counters are not in the rules, though I'd like them to be, I was only questioning the logic behind not allowing the counters to remember their text like all the other cards that give counters do.

Corruption counters *do* remember their text. The thing is that they have *no text* associated to them.

By design, other cards are needed to interact with corruption counters.

Shatter the Gate(s) creates a permanent effect "A Methuselah with any shattered counters burns 3 pool during his or her untap phase."
Same thing with Vampiric Disease "Each time a vampire with a disease counter is in combat at close range with another vampire..."
And Tegyrius "Any Assamite with an allegiance counter is considered..."

No Corruption card create a permanent effect such as "Minions with a number of corruption counters..."

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 07:06 by Ankha.

More
15 Sep 2011 08:16 #10243 by Suoli
Replied by Suoli on topic Re: Counters Remembering Text

That is not my main point for writing this, Kevin. I do not mind if corruption counters are not in the rules, though I'd like them to be, I was only questioning the logic behind not allowing the counters to remember their text like all the other cards that give counters do.

Corruption counters *do* remember their text. The thing is that they have *no text* associated to them.

By design, other cards are needed to interact with corruption counters.

Shatter the Gate(s) creates a permanent effect "A Methuselah with any shattered counters burns 3 pool during his or her untap phase."
Same thing with Vampiric Disease "Each time a vampire with a disease counter is in combat at close range with another vampire..."
And Tegyrius "Any Assamite with an allegiance counter is considered..."

No Corruption card create a permanent effect such as "Minions with a number of corruption counters..."

To elaborate, Corruption etc. do two things: first they place a corruption counter, then they check the number of corruption counters on the targeted minion. The second effect is a one-time effect of the Corruption-action, not an ability of the corruption counter.

More
15 Sep 2011 09:50 - 15 Sep 2011 09:52 #10249 by Pascal Bertrand
Correct.
We can imagine cards such as

"Bleed. If the bleed is successful, take control of a vampire who has at least X of your corruption counters ...".

Or "Strike: take control of the opposing if has at least X of your corruption counters ..."

Corruption counters are nothing but counters with a specific name (in this case, "corruption"). They have no effect by themselves.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 09:52 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds