file Superior Domain of Evernight timing

03 Oct 2011 17:36 #11404 by AaronC
Domain of Evernight
[Action Modifier] Action Modifier
[Temporis] Temporis
[Obfuscate] Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[tem] If this action is blocked, all damage done to vampires in the resulting combat is aggravated.
[TEM] Only usable when an action is successful. Untap this acting vampire. A vampire can play only one Domain of Evernight at superior each turn.

When is the superior version of this played? Forced March is played after the resolution of a successful action, but its card text says so specifically. Yesterday we said that it was played before the action was resolved, because the rules simply says that when an action is not blocked, it is successful (If action was not blocked, then the action is successful. [6.2.3]).

I interpreted that to mean: When not blocked = when successful.

I imagine that the official ruling will be that Domain of Evernight at :TEM: is played after the resolution of the action, but let's see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2011 17:45 #11405 by Ankha

You're right. Even an action that fizzles is successful for instance, as long as it is not blocked.

Interesting question, especially when comparing it to Freak Drive and the following ruling:

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/9320828c79b51aef?hl=fr&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Oct 2011 18:00 #11406 by Pascal Bertrand

When is the superior version of this played? Forced March is played after the resolution of a successful action, but its card text says so specifically. Yesterday we said that it was played before the action was resolved, because the rules simply says that when an action is not blocked, it is successful (If action was not blocked, then the action is successful. [6.2.3]).

I imagine that the official ruling will be that Domain of Evernight at :TEM: is played after the resolution of the action, but let's see.

Well, an action isn't successful nor unsuccessful before resolution. So we must reach resolution to determined.
But anyways, you were correct. Sup' Domain of Evernight is after resolution (it would matter for actions such as Domain Challenge).
I'll add that to the list of changes to do.

More
03 Oct 2011 19:07 #11414 by AaronC
So, are you going to change how the rules describe when an action is successful? Or are you going to revise the text of Domain of Evernight so it says "after resolution"?

It sounds like you don't agree with Ankha that a fizzled action can be successful.

And besides Domain Challenge, it also matters for issues of card cycling. The guy playing the :TEM: minion yesterday couldn't untap using the Domain of Evernight he drew during the combat that was the resolution of a successful enter combat action.

More
03 Oct 2011 20:25 #11420 by Pascal Bertrand

So, are you going to change how the rules describe when an action is successful? Or are you going to revise the text of Domain of Evernight so it says "after resolution"?

The latter.

It sounds like you don't agree with Ankha that a fizzled action can be successful.

Fizzled actions are successful ( Outline II.C.1.b., II.C.1.c ).

And besides Domain Challenge, it also matters for issues of card cycling. The guy playing the :TEM: minion yesterday couldn't untap using the Domain of Evernight he drew during the combat that was the resolution of a successful enter combat action.

Sup' Domain of Evernight should be played the same way inferior Freak Drive, and other untapping action modifiers, is played.

More
04 Oct 2011 00:04 #11430 by Dorrinal

Well, an action isn't successful nor unsuccessful before resolution. So we must reach resolution to determined.
But anyways, you were correct. Sup' Domain of Evernight is after resolution (it would matter for actions such as Domain Challenge).
I'll add that to the list of changes to do.

How do you know when to resolve an action? When it is successful.

I disagree that you should change the card text. So what if it is different from Freak Drive?

Assuming you can't be swayed, when will the new card text / ruling be in effect for tournaments?

:trem:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds