file Scry the Hearthstone - Clarification

22 Aug 2012 23:38 - 22 Aug 2012 23:39 #35252 by Kude
Scry the Hearthstone

Reaction

Only usable during a (D) action against you.
:tha: +1 intercept.
:vis: As :tha: above, with an optional maneuver in the resulting combat if this vampire successfully blocks.
:VIS: Cancel an action card or action modifier card that requires Chimerstry :chi: or Obfuscate :obf: as it is played (no cost is paid).

So the question is, can it only be played during D action against you even on superior? This slightly confuses how it is actually printed in the card, so decided to ask for clarification.

Thank you in advance.

:trem::DOM::AUS::THA::cap7:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2012 23:39 by Kude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2012 00:20 #35253 by Adonai

Scry the Hearthstone
Reaction
Only usable during a (D) action against you.

So the question is, can it only be played during D action against you even on superior?

The bold text above the discipline specific text applies to all levels.
At superior visceratika :VIS:, you may cancel an Obfuscate or Chimerstry action card or action modifier when your opponent attempts to bleed you or rush your minions or burn your locations (or other directed actions against you).

It is great to defend against that Elder Impersonation or Lost in Crowds that would make your block fail.

More
23 Aug 2012 03:31 #35254 by Kraus
I'll have a follow up question.

Can I cancel, say, Domain of Evernight as it is played using :tem: as the card requires obfuscate as well, at outferior? I'm pretty sure I can, just want to be doubly sure.

Domain of Evernight
[obf] +1 stealth.
[tem] If this action is blocked, all damage done to vampires in the resulting combat is aggravated.
[TEM] Only usable when an action is successful. Untap this acting vampire. A vampire can play only one Domain of Evernight at superior each turn.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
23 Aug 2012 04:17 #35257 by Ankha

Can I cancel, say, Domain of Evernight as it is played using :tem: as the card requires obfuscate as well, at outferior? I'm pretty sure I can, just want to be doubly sure.

No, because it doesn't use the obfuscate effect.
If obfuscate was required when played at [tem], a vampire without obfuscate couldn't play it...

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
23 Aug 2012 04:25 #35259 by Kraus

No, because it doesn't use the obfuscate effect.
If obfuscate was required when played at [tem], a vampire without obfuscate couldn't play it...

Well, the funny thing is that Scrying the Heartstone doesn't cancel EFFECTS requiring obfuscate, but CARDS that require obfuscate. Domain does require obfuscate as outferior, even if it's effect is not used.

I can see your reasoning, and it would make sense, but there is still room for another interpretation, so I'm not bought just yet. :)

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
23 Aug 2012 04:47 - 23 Aug 2012 04:47 #35260 by Ankha
Well, if the whole card did require obfuscate (and not only at the [obf] level), the reasoning would be the same: a vampire without obfuscate couldn't play it at all.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 23 Aug 2012 04:47 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds