exclamation-circle Mirror Walk and Slave rule

11 Aug 2011 19:30 - 25 Mar 2013 12:41 #7935 by Xaddam
I'm wondering about the interaction between Mirror Walk and the slave rule. If an action is blocked with a Mirror Walk played can the acting minion's methuselah use the slave rule to untap the acting minion and have a gargoyle start a combat with the blocking minion?

I'd argue no because the action ends at the time the action is blocked.
I'd argue yes because (in some cases) you're allowed to choose the order in which to resolve your own effects (end action vs. slave rule in this case).
Which one is correct and why?

Thanks in advance.

Slave: Some minions are identified as slaves to a specified clan. A slave cannot take a directed action if his controller doesn�t control a ready member of the specified clan. Also, if a member of the specified clan controlled by the same Methuselah is blocked, the controller can tap the slave to cancel the combat and to untap the acting vampire and have the slave enter combat with the blocking minion instead.

Mirror Walk [Third:C, KoT:C]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Do not replace until your discard phase.
[tha] +1 stealth.
[THA] As [tha] above, and if this action is blocked, the action ends (with no combat).

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro
Last edit: 25 Mar 2013 12:41 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2011 19:43 #7937 by Pascal Bertrand

I'm wondering about the interaction between Mirror Walk and the slave rule. If an action is blocked with a Mirror Walk played can the acting minion's methuselah use the slave rule to untap the acting minion and have a gargoyle start a combat with the blocking minion?

Assuming superior Mirror Walk: no.

I'd argue no because the action ends at the time the action is blocked.
I'd argue yes because (in some cases) you're allowed to choose the order in which to resolve your own effects (end action vs. slave rule in this case).
Which one is correct and why?

The latter, due to the "instead" word in the Slave rule. If the acting vampire isn't entering combat, the Slave can't step in for him.

More
12 Aug 2011 11:57 #7984 by Forhead
I got a similar question concerning the Slave rule and Stone travel.

1) Is the same true for stone travel? (since there is not "end action" text)
2) Is it possible for the salve to use the "choose to cancel the resultning combat"?

Stone Travel
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Mytherceria/Obtenebration
[obt] This vampire burns 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
[myt] +1 stealth.
[MYT] +1 stealth. If this action is blocked, this acting vampire may choose to cancel the resulting combat.

Isak Esbjörnsson Bjärmark

More
12 Aug 2011 12:15 - 12 Aug 2011 12:16 #7986 by Pascal Bertrand

I'm not sure what "the same" is, but if a vampire is blocked after playing sup'Stone Travel, a Slave to that vampire's clan can't step in for a combat that was cancelled.

2) Is it possible for the salve to use the "choose to cancel the resultning combat"?

No - the Slave mininon stepping in doesn't become the acting minion: the Slave can't play Freak Drive, As the Crow, Momentery Delay, ..
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 12:16 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
12 Aug 2011 12:18 #7987 by Klaital
Well Stone Travel gives you option to cancel the combat, you don't -have- to cancel it like you do for Mirror Walk.

More
12 Aug 2011 12:27 - 12 Aug 2011 12:30 #7988 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Mirror Walk and Slave rule

Stone Travel
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Mytherceria/Obtenebration
[obt] This vampire burns 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
[myt] +1 stealth.
[MYT] +1 stealth. If this action is blocked, this acting vampire may choose to cancel the resulting combat.

IANF, but anything that cancels the resulting combat of a blocked action, ends the action if it doesn't add anything else to do.
So, if the Stone Traveler chooses to cancel combat, he cannot trigger the Slave Rule.
If he chooses not to cancel the resulting combat and has a ready Slave that meets the requirements, the player can use the Slave Rule.

Right, mr. Floppy?

EDIT: I started writing this before there where answers ;)
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 12:30 by Brum.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds