times Darkness within + S:CE

27 Aug 2011 02:25 - 11 Feb 2013 12:36 #9093 by TorranceCircle
If Darkness Within has been played and a minion stikes to end combat, does the minion with Darkness Within in play put a blood on it (during strike resolution) from the other minion? and then do they get that blood?

Darkness Within [SW:U, Third:U, HttB:PKia2]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Obtenebration
[obt] Put this card into play before range is determined. Once each round, during strike resolution, move 1 blood or life from the opposing minion to this card (even at long range). When combat ends, move half the blood (rounded up) on this card to this vampire and burn this card. A minion can play only one Darkness Within each combat.
[OBT] As above, with an optional maneuver.
Artist: William O'Connor

Shadow Body [Sabbat:C, SW:PL2]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Obtenebration
[obt] Strike: combat ends.
[OBT] As above, and if this vampire was blocked while performing an action other than a political action or bleeding, the action continues as if unblocked.
Artist: Mike Dringenberg
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 12:36 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2011 02:43 #9095 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Darkness within + S:CE
No because s:ce happens before the normal strike resolution.

More
27 Aug 2011 02:59 - 27 Aug 2011 03:09 #9096 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Darkness within + S:CE
Hi Andy.

I don't see why S:CE would prevent any of the effects of Darkness Within from happening.

During strike resolution, you have three steps:
a.Order the strikes.
b.Apply effects of strike(s).
c.Prevent damage and then resolve any unprevented damage.

You could choose to have the blood be lost before the effects of the strikes are applied, since the card doesn't say when during strike resolution it has to happen. The card even tells you, the player, to move the blood, which implies you have active control of the process. When the effect of S:CE is applied, you go to end of the round, then the end of combat. During the combat ends step of combat, the blood from Darkness Within is moved to the vampire and the card burns.

EDIT/ADD: To Klaital: Darkness Within is not itself a strike, so the order in which strikes are applied is irrelevant.

RAW, you should be able to use Darkness Within and Shadow Body together to remove a blood from a blocking vampire at the same time you do your Shadow Body sneakiness.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 03:09 by AaronC.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:23 #9099 by AaronC
I did a little quick research about effects that occur "during strike resolution". All the other effects I found were damage dealing effects, such as Carrion Crows or Murder of Crows.

S:CE protects a minion from such damage because the rules say "Damage isn't handled until step c.", and S:CE makes sure step c. never happens.

Since Darkness Within is moving blood and not damage, it shouldn't have to wait until step c.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:35 #9101 by Mael
Replied by Mael on topic Re: Darkness within + S:CE
I did a little digging and found this ruling from LSJ.

DW's effect is applied during normal strike resolution. If
combat ends before that (First Strike sending someone to torpor,
S:CE, etc.), then DW doesn't happen.

DW's effect has the same timiing window as Carrion Crows.

I think that if something is said to occur "during strike resolution" it means "during normal strike resolution" unless it specifically says otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TorranceCircle

More
27 Aug 2011 04:17 #9103 by AaronC
Oh, I was certain there was a ruling that was against what I just said.

LSJ "virtually" changed the card text, then, because RAW, you should be able to apply the blood movement whenever you want.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds