file Misdirections

02 Aug 2012 13:47 - 02 Aug 2012 13:54 #34185 by mirddes
Replied by mirddes on topic Re: Misdirections
Is "tap x minions for 2x-1 pool where x does not exceed the number of Methuselah in the game" better than "tap x minions for x pool"?

Is "tap x minions for 2x-1 pool where x does not exceed the number of Methuselah in the game" worse than "tap 1 minion for 1 pool'?

Worst-case scenario?

Best-case scenario?
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 13:54 by mirddes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2012 13:55 #34187 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Misdirections

Is "tap x minions for 2x-1 pool where x does not exceed the number of Methuselah in the game" better than "tap x minions for x pool"?

Is "tap x minions for 2x-1 pool where x does not exceed the number of Methuselah in the game" worse than "tap 1 minion for 1 pool'?

Worst case scenario?

That's the wrong question to be asking. It doesn't matter which of those is better or worse. It matters whether it's a worthwhile card to be printed. It clearly doesn't address the problem you think it should solve - ousting weenies. Why not spend time creating a card that's more appropriate to that goal?

More
02 Aug 2012 14:09 - 02 Aug 2012 14:11 #34193 by mirddes
these are however, the questions i have asked, from a fresh perspective with no prior context.

No new card needs to be printed, only a valid ruling.

i shall reiterate;

Worst-case scenario?

Best-case scenario?

Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 14:11 by mirddes.

More
02 Aug 2012 15:10 - 02 Aug 2012 15:11 #34203 by mirddes

with this in mind, i request someone move this thread to Card Balance & Strategy Discussion

Balance is my aim.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 15:11 by mirddes.

More
02 Aug 2012 15:21 - 02 Aug 2012 15:30 #34204 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Misdirections

these are however, the questions i have asked, from a fresh perspective with no prior context.

Erm, shutting your eyes really, really hard and pretending there's no context doesn't make it so!

The questions are still wrong in any context. Cards are not - in general - printed, just because they're better than an alternative, nor not printed because they're worse. The card itself has to be useful. Card A may be better than Card B, but still be useless - it's just they're both useless. Card C may be worse than Card D, but still worth printing, because they can stack in useful ways, or are available to different decks. For example, several Obfuscate stealth cards might 'worse' than the others, in an objective sense. You can have both in a deck because they stack usefully. But no amount of arguing over whether Eyes of the Dead is better than the Deadliest Sin would make either worth printing - they're both just garbage.

Cards are almost never errata-ed (changed without a reprint) just because someone comes up with an idea they think is cool. They actually have to demonstrate a need for change, not just that they think the change would be cool. Otherwise, 3000 cards would change on a weekly basis, as everyone got a new way of making it better.

No, that would be errata.

Balance is my aim.

In which case, you'll be thrilled to know that the current version of Misdirection is well-balanced - it is competitive without being problematic.

As such, no errata is likely to be forthcoming - it's a good card that performs well, without being a 'no-brainer'. It turns up reasoanbly regularly in Tournament Winning Decks.

Errata is typically reserved for problems (massively overpowered cards, or cards with holes in them - typically caused by really bad wording, or something wildly inappropriate). Since Misdirection is causing precisely zero problems and is a useful, well-balanced card, you will obviously support leaving a well-balanced card alone. Balance is your aim, yes? We're already there.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 15:30 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ohlmann

More
02 Aug 2012 15:29 - 02 Aug 2012 15:34 #34206 by mirddes
nerf =/= balance

i again reiterate my simple questions that can be answered with simple yes/no

in algebra

is C better than A?
is C worse than B?

IMO

C>=A
C>B

errata,errata,errata,errata,errata

context=balance
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 15:34 by mirddes.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds