file Regarding unplayable or overpowered cards

09 Mar 2013 07:19 #45915 by Ashur

Its so bad, it could grant 987 intercept and be just as unplayable.

I agree that Eyes of the Dead might be a lost cause, unless you do some very ugly redesign, like replacing
"Only usable when a reacting vampire you control attempts to block a vampire who is attempting to diablerize one of your vampires."
with
"Only usable during a (D) action against you (or a card you control)."
And that is probably stupid för nec anyway.

But there are other cards, that might become playable with just removal or adding a single word or cost.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed ... no, I mean Ashur Tablets should only affect minion cards.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2013 15:38 - 09 Mar 2013 15:40 #45919 by AaronC
Based on what the Eyes of the Dead ritual did in the original roleplaying game, I would rewrite it like this:

Eyes of the Dead
Combat / Reaction
Only useable if you control a wraith ally or retainer.
:nec::combat: The opposing minion's controller plays with an open hand for the remainder of combat. Only one Eyes of the Dead may be played per combat.
:NEC::reaction: +2 intercept.

Another idea might be this:
Eyes of the Dead
Reaction
Only useable during an action to commit diablerie or enter combat with an ally.
:nec: +1 intercept. This reacting vampire attempts to block the current action, ignoring the normal prey, predator or target restrictions for blocking actions. Useable by an tapped vampire to untap and attempt to block.
:NEC: As above, except with +2 intercept.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 15:40 by AaronC.

More
09 Mar 2013 16:28 #45920 by Izaak
Ye, sure let's make a card at necromancy that's 2nd Trad and Eagle's Sight rolled into one and then make it cost no blood.

Good idea.

More
09 Mar 2013 16:44 #45921 by Ohlmann

Ye, sure let's make a card at necromancy that's 2nd Trad and Eagle's Sight rolled into one and then make it cost no blood.

Good idea.

And let's not read the card too :p

The first one is the combination of two auspex effect. It borrow from neither 2nd trad not Eagle sight.

The second one have the text :

Only useable during an action to commit diablerie or enter combat with an ally.

Which mean the card is not significantly better than the original Eye of the dead.

More
09 Mar 2013 18:08 #45922 by AaronC
Thanks for coming to my defense, Old Man!

I researched what the power of Eyes of the Dead did in the original version of the RPG. It allowed the necromancer to use the "Deadsight" of nearby wraiths (aka ghosts). Deadsight is kind of like Aura Reading from the Auspex discipline, but less detailed and more storytelling oriented.

In my first suggestion, I made it like a good Auspex card, but, like in the RPG, there has to be a wraith nearby. It suggests a Masquer/Potence wall deck archetype. I think Necromancy should have been more reactive since so many Necromancy powers in the RPG involved divination.

In my second suggestion, I took the fact that Deadsight indicates which beings are close to death. In VTES, the beings that are closest to death are vampires about to get diablerized and allies somebody is prepared to rush. I think that was the concept of the actual card. My version isn't great, but at least there's a lot more flexibility, and it allows ally-heavy Giovanni decks an efficient means to protect key allies.

More
09 Mar 2013 20:47 #45923 by Izaak

And let's not read the card too

Whoops :o

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds