file Card idea: City Archives - The Deep Levels

30 Sep 2011 11:52 #11209 by Ashur

Boris/Ashur, why do both of you believe that the only way to help !bruj!

I don´t. What makes you think that? There are plenty of ways. My point is that card recursion should be restricted. One way of doing that is to limit it to certain clans, for certain card types.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2011 11:58 #11211 by Ashur

Do I have a problem with card recursion: No. Do I have an issue with being able to rebuild your library to hold exactly what you want in the late game? Yes. That was my problem with Waste Management plus the proposed card, the ability to completely customise your hand and library throughout the game.

This I agree with though. It is also a problem with those damned Tablets.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
30 Sep 2011 12:21 #11217 by Suoli

Constant Immortal Grapples?
Jacko Grapples, 2x H1 (or more), Taste, Take up Grapple.
Range is close, Grapple, 2x H1 (but probably more)...

That sounds fairly broken to me.

Not significantly more broken than permanent Signposts, Bum's Rushes, additional strikes etc. Grapple is just one more card in the chain. In a combat deck, it doesn't matter which part of the transient chain you replace with a permanent effect, the end result is pretty much the same: increased consistency. This card basically bolts a combat special on one of your minions once per turn. Compared to usual combat specials, it has the huge advantage of versatility and the huge downside of being a unique master (!) in a !Brujah combat deck. It's a great 1-of for a pretty weak deck category.

More
30 Sep 2011 12:25 - 30 Sep 2011 12:27 #11218 by Ankha

I can think of other ways to use the title.
The card concept, well I can think of other titles.

City Archives
Master
2 pool
Master Location.
Once per turn you may tap this and burn a blood on a vampire you control to move a card from your ashheap to your hand (discard afterwards). You may not tap this card during combat.

Quite strange suggestion coming from someone who said:

Recycling Plant
Master: Unique Location. !bruj! Brujah Antitribu.
Cost: 1 :pool:
Tap during your discard phase to move the bottom card of your library to the top of your library.

Um, Waste Management + this card = customise hand. Too powerful.

Because Ankha, I can see the value of this (City Archive) card being available to *every* clan, and not just a !Brujah toy. Also, as a general location it should cost more (i.e. 2 pool). It also means that if it is such an "automatic inclusion" it will be more likely to be contested like Dreams of the Sphinx, Pentex, Ivory Bow, etc. That also mitigates its power. It should probably be unique as well.

If you want to avoid auto-inclusion, do not leave it available to everyone in the first place. Making it unique or what else won't make it less autoinclude if it's a strong card (and what you're suggesting is a very strong card).
Furthermore, it is much more easier to make it balanced if it's restricted to a clan.

Do I have a problem with card recursion: No. Do I have an issue with being able to rebuild your library to hold exactly what you want in the late game? Yes. That was my problem with Waste Management plus the proposed card, the ability to completely customise your hand and library throughout the game.

There must be something wrong somewhere. Your suggestion allows far more easily to completely customize your hand and yet you say that you're against that? There's a big contradiction there.
And don't tell me that it's customizing the bottom of your library that is broken.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 30 Sep 2011 12:27 by Ankha.

More
30 Sep 2011 13:03 - 30 Sep 2011 21:44 #11224 by Juggernaut1981
Actually, I'd prefer it to be a near-auto-include in decks than not. If its going to be created, I'd want it to appear on every table and be contested regularly. I would want that thought to come into the card's design.

Read me carefully Ankha, I am not against card recursion. I am against the idea that any one clan should be given the tools to basically control the contents of their library and/or hand limitlessly for the remainder of the game. The previous version I had would be limited in the early part of the game by the size of the ashheap; it is also susceptible to interference by things such as Trochomancy. The hand customisation is limited in the beginning, but does not allow for the "fishing for the card I need but haven't seen" like you get from Spirit Summoning Chamber. It still costs resources and it is a once per 'round the table' effect combined with the fact that you still have to discard afterwards.

EDIT: Also, this card doesn't 'incease the size of the library' but allows you to effectively rearrange the contents of the library. It give you the ability to slightly customise the hand/library without increasing its effective size. 3 Ashur Tablets effectively increases a library by 12 cards (12 to library, one to hand and discard one has no net effect). This card forces you to exchange a card in your hand for a card in your ashheap which leaves you with the same sized library, you are in effect discarding resources you may need later. WMO + the card designed in the other thread results in +1 library size every turn and immediately drawing the card into your hand. //EDIT

The thread you have brought up allowed for cards to be moved from the bottom of the library to the top, which when used with Waste Management Operations allowed the hand to be customised immediately without any loss of cards to the ashheap and with few ways for it to be prevented. I have a BIG problem with that.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 30 Sep 2011 21:44 by Juggernaut1981.

More
30 Sep 2011 13:19 #11227 by Ankha
Ok. I guess we just see things differently.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds