file Card idea: Pin the Fly

24 Nov 2011 09:33 #15753 by Ankha
Card idea: Pin the Fly was created by Ankha
Name: Pin the Fly
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Potence
[pot] Only usable at the end of a round of combat in which this vampire successfully inflicted more damage at close range with a melee weapon than the opposing vampire. Not usable by a vampire being burned or going into torpor. Burn that melee weapon to put this card on the opposing vampire. The vampire with this card doesn't untap as normal. Any minion may burn this card as a +1 stealth action.
[POT] As above, and send that vampire into torpor.

A variation on Disarm. It costs an unbroken melee weapon (careful with that WWS) to immobilize a vampire. I didn't want it to do the "send to torpor" effect at
inferior to leave its utility to Disarm.

Thoughts? Comments?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2011 09:49 #15754 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Card idea: Pin the Fly
I love the idea of helping melee weapon combat, it's currently pretty weak. Still, the cost is pretty high and this card can't be played too often. I would actually make a completely different inferior level that don't burn weapon and a superior level that do, maybe ?

Also, it's a pentex subvertion like effect : the vampire don't act until another minion rescue him. This mean also that the card is much more precious against big cap than against small cap.

As a variation on the idea, I would replace the superior level with 'burn the vampire at its controller minion phase' : the idea is that the vampire is pined to the sun and will burn if not rescued. May need another clause to avoid it being too overpowered (or be another card, more difficult to play)

More
24 Nov 2011 09:49 - 24 Nov 2011 09:50 #15755 by Oskar
Replied by Oskar on topic Re: Card idea: Pin the Fly
My first thought is that I would try to abuse it with small-cap potence vampires, permaintercept & walking sticks to lock down opponents.

I think it would do this better compared to disarm since it takes a lot of actions away with both the untap and the action required to burn.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2011 09:50 by Oskar.

More
24 Nov 2011 09:57 #15759 by Ohlmann
Maybe replacing the "no untap" part by "can't block and can't do action other than unpinning itself" ? Since it's not a wooden stake, the vampire *should* be somewhat able to unpin itself I believe.

Also, unlike the current formulation it would not allow Guard dog or wake with evening freshness that seem a bit silly. "I am pined to the ground with a 3-meter pillar, but if my dog tell me I can totally intercept peoples".

More
24 Nov 2011 12:00 #15767 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Pin the Fly

Also, unlike the current formulation it would not allow Guard dog or wake with evening freshness that seem a bit silly. "I am pined to the ground with a 3-meter pillar, but if my dog tell me I can totally intercept peoples".

Role playing arguments are out of consideration. See Memory of Mortality on a Great Beast, a Sensory Deprived vampire that can wake etc.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
24 Nov 2011 12:22 #15769 by Ohlmann

Role playing arguments are out of consideration. See Memory of Mortality on a Great Beast, a Sensory Deprived vampire that can wake etc.

I can understand that gameplay prime, but I believe strongly that mecanism that make sense are way better.

In gameplay terms, the difference between the two formulation (can't untap vs can't block or act except removing) is that the second one handicap the vampire a lot more but allow the vampire to unpin himself. Meaning that star decks and big cap deck are less hosed.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds