file Card idea: Metanoia

30 Aug 2011 06:53 #9288 by Ankha
Card idea: Metanoia was created by Ankha
Name: Metanoia
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Auspex/Dementation
[dem] Choose any Methuselah and a card type among master to make him or her lose 1 pool, action modifier to make you gain 1 pool or combat to make this vampire gain 1 blood. The chosen Methuselah shows you 3 cards at random from his or her hand. For each card of the chosen type shown, apply the associated effect.
[DEM] As [dem] above, and you may discard 1 card shown of the chosen type.
[AUS][DEM] As [DEM] above, but the chosen Methusaleh shows you 4 cards at random from his or her hand.

A card to bring new options to the Malkavian/!Malkavian that are too often forced to bleed at stealth.

By guessing correctly, you make take advantage from the other Methuselah's decks and gain blood against a combat deck, gain pool against a bleed stealth deck or make lose pool to a heavy-master deck.

It helps you also to gain table control by controlling the methuselah's hands.

The card can particularly strong when you play more than one in the same turn.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2011 07:10 #9289 by Juggernaut1981
Metanoia
Action
Auspex/Dementation
:dem: Choose a Methuselah as a (D) action. Choose a card type from Master, Combat and Action Modifier. The chosen Methuselah reveals 3 cards at random to you from their hand. If you chose Master, the Methuselah burns 1 pool per Master card revealed. If you chose Combat, the acting minion gains 1 blood per Combat card revealed. If you chose Action Modifier, you gain 1 pool per Action Modifier revealed.
:DEM: As :dem: above and you may discard 1 card revealed of the type you have chosen.
:AUS::DEM: As :DEM: above, but the Methuselah reveals 4 cards at random.

That seems a better structured cardtext.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
30 Aug 2011 08:18 #9290 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
But much longer.

What about:

Name: Metanoia
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Auspex/Dementation
[dem] (D) Look at 3 cards at random from any other Methuselah's hand and choose one: for each master card, he or she burns 1 pool; or for each action modifier card, you gain 1 pool; or for each combat card, this vampire gains 1 blood. Choice must be made when announcing the action.
[DEM] As [dem] above, and you may discard 1 card of the chosen type.
[AUS][DEM] As [DEM] above, but look at 4 cards at random from his or her hand.

Designer's intent is clear enough to avoid superfluous and redundant wording.

What about the card itself?

Prince of Paris, France

More
30 Aug 2011 08:58 #9291 by Juggernaut1981
It seems too good for a free card.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
30 Aug 2011 10:14 - 30 Aug 2011 10:18 #9298 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

It seems too good for a free card.

If I perform an average on decks I know and against which Metanoia is good, I don't find it "too good".

A deck with 20 masters out of 90 cards will have 1 or 2 master cards in hand. At superior, you'll make your prey loose an average of 1 pool.

A combat deck with 45 combat cards out of 90 will have an avg. 3-5 combat cards in hand. At superior, you'll gain 1 to 3 blood.

A bleed stealth deck with 30 action modifiers will have an avg. 2-3 action modifiers in hand. At superior, you'll gain 1-2 pool.

All values are given as random hands in random situation. With bad luck, you may pick up no card at all from the chosen type. With extreme luck, you'll gain 4 pool, make your prey loose 4 pool (master-heavy decks only, and these kind of decks gains lots of pool usually), or gain 4 blood against a combat deck. This is quite good, but there's a random part.

The trick for decks using Metanoia would be to use cards to give a methuselah the "optimal" hand for Metanoia, but it's quite a hard work. And it requires some smart moves to optimize the results.

In any case, I don't see in which situation it would be "too good", please explain. And making it cost blood would wallpaperize it.

The only "good" aspect is the discard, but as always, the card replaced may be worse for you, so I don't think it's worth a blood.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 10:18 by Ankha.

More
30 Aug 2011 10:25 #9301 by Pendargon
Replied by Pendargon on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
Discard the card bit is a bit too strong part, IMHO. You are looking at 4 cards out of someone's hand, and discarding one of them. That could be pentex, grapple, touch of clarity, DI, almost anything, really. I would draw a parallel with Revelations, which costs a blood, just discards a card, and does not have potential to give you pool, blood, or make anybody lose pool.

Looking into hand and discarding is a powerful tool, and i feel it should be costed appropriately.

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds