file Card idea: Metanoia

07 Nov 2011 12:00 #13533 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

Hello!

I've tried Metanoia out once already in a Serenna the White toolbox with midcap Malkavians from G5, and I'm hoping to get some time to do another run with the deck today. Last time I was trying to oust a Giovanni Location deck, with the guy who gains hand size with every location. I was confronted with a handsize of roughly 15 cards, so taking a pick with metanoia from there was hard as hell, and the card just didn't work too well. Also I was struggling with the lack of stealth in the action.

We all agreed that even in the best case scenario the card isn't really that powerful. What I've been thinking is adding a second card type to choose from for superior level. That would make the card really a bit more plausible, but still not too wondeful compared to Kindred Spirits. Often I found myself looking at 2 reactions, a combat card and an action modifier when I was trying to find masters.

I hope to have more luck with my prey today and make some more observations. Anyways, I really liked the card, and guys around the table were positively interested in it. The power level just wasn't on a desirable level as it is.

Other issues I might have: the deck really isn't spesifically designed for Metanoia. The deck is originally a Haunting/Blood denial wall, and at the moment I'm replacing the blood denial aspect with Metanoia. It might work better in a bleed/toolbox kind of deck with a bit more stealth.

Thank you for this most interesting feedback. You weren't in the best case scenario, but this happens more often than not. I'd be interested to have more data (more games), just as you awesomely did.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2011 18:41 #13598 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
It's no big. :) It's an interesting card, and I love to see how it goes.

I did play another game with the same deck today, and got to stay safe with a stealth-bleed in front of me, and G2-3 Tremere at my back. So the order was:

Serenna (that's me!) -> G2 !Malks -> Adana de Sforza -> G5 Ventrue Prince Grinder -> G2-3 Tremere toolbox

The funny thing is that I only drew one Metanoia in the whole game, even though I have 6 of them in the deck. I was thinking that I might get a sweet amount of pool with Metanoia out of the Malks, but never had them ready before I got the oust. And, to be honest, I really just wanted to weaken the Malks to make sure Adana survived long enough for me to sweep. Thanks to help from others this happened, and I ousted two player in one go, and eventually won the heads-up with the grinder. Metanoias were discarded, though. There was no use to even try them against the Grinder, and bleeds really helped me oust him. This also applies to the beginning of the game. I really had no problems with the poolgain, and even though there was always a danger of being bounced, I just had to keep my cool and refrain from bleeding often enough.

So yeah, there were really very little need for me to play Metanoia instead of just plain bleeds. If I wanted to deal pool-damage, I could just as well bleed. I also get the edge. If I wanted to look at the other player's hand... Well, I could never know for sure, and most of the decks in the table were very straight forward. I could always guess (correctly) what they had in hand. Poolgain was easier with Powerbases and wakes, blood was a bit tricky but Obeah, Hunting Ground and the like kept me alive well enough, and ousting was just a wee bit easier with bleeding.

What I find is that the card just isn't worth the effort, unless you have access to untaps, or plenty of AUS dem minions. Even then you really could use your actions more effectively.

I think adding another type of cards to choose from for superior level might be a good addition. So, AUS+dem version might say:

As above, but choose two of the following: action modifier, master or combat card.

This in addition to what has already been said. Really might make it more worth the effort. :) Like this I really can't see many decks playing it.

Anyone else have something to add?

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
08 Nov 2011 08:52 #13710 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
What about this adjustment:

Name: Metanoia
Cardtype: Action
[dem] (D) Look at 3 cards at random from any other Methuselah's hand and choose one: for each master or political card, he or she burns 1 pool; or for each equipment or action modifier card, you gain 1 pool; or for each combat or ally card, this vampire gains 1 blood. This choice must be made when announcing the action.
[aus][dem] As [dem] above, and you may discard 1 card of any of the chosen types.
[AUS][dem] As [aus][dem] above, but look at 4 cards at random from his or her hand.

It widens the range of concerned cards, making its effectiveness a little more consistent (and the card more reliable).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
08 Nov 2011 16:23 #13770 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

What about this adjustment:

Name: Metanoia
Cardtype: Action
[dem] (D) Look at 3 cards at random from any other Methuselah's hand and choose one: for each master or political card, he or she burns 1 pool; or for each equipment or action modifier card, you gain 1 pool; or for each combat or ally card, this vampire gains 1 blood. This choice must be made when announcing the action.
[aus][dem] As [dem] above, and you may discard 1 card of any of the chosen types.
[AUS][dem] As [aus][dem] above, but look at 4 cards at random from his or her hand.

It widens the range of concerned cards, making its effectiveness a little more consistent (and the card more reliable).

Yeah, why not. I'd still like to see the option for two different effects in one action to make the card a bit more versatile, but it might work that way too. :) It's just that equipments and allies are a bit random in the mix: it's not like you could be able to predict your opponent is hiding a kevlar vest in their hand. Political actions are a bit easier pick, though - this card really has potential to hurt master heavy voters more than others. Then again, it ain't really a problem. Extra techs to work against those types is cool.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds