file Card idea: Metanoia

30 Aug 2011 10:49 #9305 by Juggernaut1981
Why I think it is too powerful for its cost...

Revelations
- Directed only at your prey
- Costs 1 blood
- Gives you the chance to discard a card
- See your prey's whole hand

Pulse of the Canaille
- Allows you to see everyone's hand
- Costs 3 blood
- Gives you no ability to discard cards

Metanoia
- Directed at any player
- Lets you see about 50% of their hand
- Gives you the chance to gain at least 1 blood
- Discard a card that would significantly impact your game
- Zero cost

So yes, Metanoia, while requiring :AUS::DEM:, is too powerful for a free card.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2011 11:12 - 30 Aug 2011 11:12 #9307 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

Why I think it is too powerful for its cost...

Metanoia
- Directed at any player
- Lets you see about 50% of their hand
- Gives you the chance to gain at least 1 blood
- Discard a card that would significantly impact your game
- Zero cost

So yes, Metanoia, while requiring :AUS::DEM:, is too powerful for a free card.

You just forgot that
- you can't discard reaction cards (eg. a bounce card)
- you see half of the hand, but that half may contain only 1 card of the chosen type, so you won't really be able to discard the card that bothers you the most
- you gain blood only if you chose combat cards, and I don't think discarding a combat card (even an IG) has a major impact.

You underestimate too much the random parts of the cards. Kindred Spirit is free, not random, so if the card isn't worth asking if it is a good alternative to KS, it won't see play.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 11:12 by Ankha.

More
30 Aug 2011 11:13 #9308 by Pascal Bertrand
Imo the card would only be used against masters / action modifiers. Looking at someone's hand and be able to discard an Aid from Bats from overe there, and gain 2 blood? Yeah... that's just some more they'll taste. I assume a combat deck can inflict more than 1 damage per card it has (the only exception being weenie fortitude).

Against an action-modifier deck, gaining pool quite OK. Of course, it's an interesting strategy against S&B decks. But, come one, which decks would inflict you damage.. and use action modifiers?
Una, B/S, Vote with stealth.

Against a master deck, this card gives an interesting non-deflectable pool damage to dementation decks.

Compared to
- Revelations: this one has no stealth. It doesn't give full knowledge of the hand. It also requires DEM or AUS DEM to discard a card, instead of aus.
- Pulse of the canaille: il might get played.

Metanoia would almost always be played (choosing Masters) against prey, which is OK.
it can be interesting to play it cross-table for blood (combat), or against anyone for pool.

But then, hey, wait! You get some extra hints if you know whom to choose (Owl Companion, Aura Reading, ..)

I don't know how you made your comparisons, but Revelations has a better chance of getting rid of a card that impacts your game (such as an action card - bum's rush, a reaction card - deflection) than this one.

More
30 Aug 2011 11:18 #9309 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
Thanks Pascal, I see it the same way.

But then, hey, wait! You get some extra hints if you know whom to choose (Owl Companion, Aura Reading, ..)

That would give some interesting decks: AUS DEM ANI or AUS DEM with a bigger combat part.

I don't know how you made your comparisons, but Revelations has a better chance of getting rid of a card that impacts your game (such as an action card - bum's rush, a reaction card - deflection) than this one.

Exactly.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
30 Aug 2011 11:30 #9312 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
Seriously, when has anyone EVER seen pulse played at inferior? :p

As for this card, its ok, though I am not sure if I would play it over just another KS unless I am playing multiacting deck.

More
30 Aug 2011 19:16 #9347 by Juggernaut1981
A major part of this is that Malks already have almost the most blood efficient ousting strategy: Dem-Obf S&B. Enhancing other strategies is good, but I think this would be too efficient at also enhancing Dem-Obf S&B.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds