file Card idea: Metanoia

01 Sep 2011 06:00 - 01 Sep 2011 06:02 #9438 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

I honestly think it would be a no brainer to bump out a 60-card KS S&B to include 6 copies of this card to basically cull out the cards my prey might want the turn before I plan to oust them.

Hmm, you mean like Revelation? Why isn't there 6 Revelation in all S&B decks then?

It allows a S&B deck to defend itself better against prey-bloating and prey-rush (removing things like Villein, Tribute to the Master, Immortal Grapple, Aggravated damage, etc).

I don't WANT a s&b deck to be better able to defend itself! It's already the best archetype in the game, has been since the game was first printed, even when they tried to Magic it up and thought 4CL was a good idea, and still is.

Cards which directly, obviously benefit s&b decks and/or strategies should be considered VERY carefully.

fr.ex. That's why I think The Bitter And Sweet Story should never have been printed as-is.

Did you analyze the card, or just jumped in to react to Jug's comment?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 06:02 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2011 07:10 #9442 by Juggernaut1981
Easy, because Revelations is significantly more costly. It only gives one benefit, the ability to discard a card, and I have seen it played regularly by Malk S&B. It disposes of Archon Investigation, Flicks, Rushes, Protected Resources, Havens/Fames, Con Boon/Ancient Influence/Voter Cap and it costs 1 blood.

So why should a card that can potentially give 4 pool, allow someone to discard and do it as a unrestricted (D) action cost less than Revelations?

Even though it doesn't allow you to discard flicks it should cost a fair bit more than nothing. Especially considering the secondary benefits of the card (up to 4 pool gained for a (D) action you can use to set your prey up for an oust).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
01 Sep 2011 07:19 - 01 Sep 2011 07:20 #9444 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia

So why should a card that can potentially give 4 pool, allow someone to discard and do it as a unrestricted (D) action cost less than Revelations?

Mainly because it's random.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 07:20 by Ankha.

More
01 Sep 2011 07:34 - 01 Sep 2011 07:45 #9445 by Pascal Bertrand

Easy, because Revelations is significantly more costly. It only gives one benefit, the ability to discard a card, and I have seen it played regularly by Malk S&B. It disposes of Archon Investigation, Flicks, Rushes, Protected Resources, Havens/Fames, Con Boon/Ancient Influence/Voter Cap and it costs 1 blood.

Even though it doesn't allow you to discard flicks it should cost a fair bit more than nothing. Especially considering the secondary benefits of the card (up to 4 pool gained for a (D) action you can use to set your prey up for an oust).

When I play Malk/!Malk B&S, the blood on my vampires is almost as important as the colour of the tokens I use. I mean, does it really matter if Klaven has 4 blood instead of 3, as long as he has at least 1 blood to act on next turn?

Weenie DEM only has 1 card that costs blood (Mind Tricks), malkavian bleed with auspex has 2 (telepathic misdirection and madman's quill). Yeah, you can add Touch of Clarity / Delaying Tactics, but you woulnd't play more than 2 of these, I guess.
Honestly, I think the blood cost argument is invalid here.

And then, when playing a b&s deck, would you really play a card that would give you 4 pool (if you're extremely lucky) than a card that would give you 1 pool and would have your prey burn 2-4 pool ?

Revelations costs more, because it is more powerful. Or, turn it the other way around: This one costs less, because it is less powerful than Revelations.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 07:45 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
01 Sep 2011 07:52 #9450 by Juggernaut1981
I'd say because of the positive benefits (while random) are greater than Revelations.

#1: Usable on any player. this allows you to target your predator and protect yourself backwards as well as setting up ousts forwards.

#2: There is a chance to get a blood/pool benefit back. With Vessel, Villein, etc there is always a value for your minions blood. And I doubt you'd be gaining less than 1 blood on this card very often. The fact that it can give you pool is another argument for why it gives you more benefit than Revelations.

#3: Why use it instead of KS? Actually the point is to use it and THEN Kindred Spirits. You'd use this card at least once, see what cards they have, light bleed to check if there was a flick you missed in the other half of the hand and then lunge for the kill. It's the same motivation for using Revelations in a KS Malk S&B. You are attempting to know what is there and clear anything dangerous.

So this shows that the card is at least if not better than Revelations, and should cost at least 1 blood.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
01 Sep 2011 08:28 #9456 by Pendargon
Replied by Pendargon on topic Re: Card idea: Metanoia
I am with Jugger on this one...

Revelations , i feel, is a staple card on how cards that look in hand and discard should be made.

This one has more restrictions (not seeing entire hand, cannot discard reactions), but offers MORE in realistically over 50% of the time.

Plus, any type of direct pool gain from action cards is rare, and generally an effect reserved for rares, or very specific sect/cap.

So, my suggestion would be to either remove the discard clause, or make the card cost something...

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds