file Kickstarter for V:tes?

06 Jul 2012 20:28 - 06 Jul 2012 20:32 #32865 by gymim
Replied by gymim on topic Re: Kickstarter for V:tes?

You need to show them how they can make a profit.

This part involves making a presentation with the proper math, but more over, having someone/some-company pitch it that has a track record of making things of this nature successful.

Here's my confusion, why would CCP need to spend 250,000? Wouldn't the onus of the cost be on the party making the pitch to CCP? If the party lobbying to re-start VTES wasn't footing the entire bill from front to back, I don't know why CCP would even bother looking at the proposal.

I would assume that the proposal would have to be: pitched by someone with a track record of success, note that all the cost would be covered by the party wishing to re-start VTES, that a reasonable RoI would be given in tangible numbers, that CCP would be given 5% to 15% of sales, and also leave room for CCP to come to the table with a monetary figure demanded on their (CCP's) part just for the third party to come "on-deck" and move forward (I.E. check to see if the third party is really serious).

Again, though, i think all this is unimportant compared to the fact that (unless i've made a mistake which is quite possible) hsbro/wotc need to give approval as well, and i think that no matter what is offered, they are just going to say "no", as VTES competes in their market. Although i really would like to see if that is true, or if they don't care just as long as a certain monetary number is hit as a falt fee to hasbro/wotc as well as a cut of the profit, or if they have no say at all and if all the negotiations are done via CCP/whitewolf.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2012 20:32 by gymim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2012 21:10 #32868 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Kickstarter for V:tes?

Here's my confusion,

You're two years late to the party, so I'll repeat a few items.

White Wolf/CCP will not relinquish to a random third party, and all of the existing game companies were considered for partnerships before the decision to end the product line was made.

The fees they want for their IP and that WOTC/Hasbro want for their IP makes any investment short of 2 million a non-starter.

Until copyright and trademark licenses expire, you won't be able to get anyone except CCP to publish cards. They are the only ones that can be convinced and you have to convince them they can make a real profit, in the high 6 figure a year range.

So unless your Kickstarter funder has won a lottery and considers V:TES their own private charity, you aren't going to get the product to a third party producer.

The players had a chance to show White Wolf/CCP how much they would spend on new product when they did their direct to customer sales thru their website. The response was tepid, at best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
06 Jul 2012 21:24 - 06 Jul 2012 21:25 #32869 by gymim
So my perception of your post is "to buy (and to fully own) the IP outright from CCP/WhiteWolf and Hasbro/WotC, you would need around 2 million down". But the third party (i assume) wouldn't be trying to buy (and to own) the IP, but to use it with permission from ccp/whitewolf and hasbro/wotc in return for a fee and/or a cut from the profit.

Am I wrong in my perception? If so, could you help clarify it for me?

Also, where did the 2 million number come from? Just as a guess, I assume when whitewolf took over the game from hasbro/wotc, whitewolf didn't become owner of "tapping" and "deckmaster", whitewolf just used them with permission from hasbro/wotc. I assume that hasbro/wotc didn't ask for 2 million up front, but that is just pure speculation on my part. I would assume hasbro/wotc asked for less and then asked for a cut off the profit, knowing that whitewolf was an already established company with the capitol to roll out cards.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2012 21:25 by gymim.

More
06 Jul 2012 21:58 #32871 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Kickstarter for V:tes?

So my perception of your post is "to buy (and to fully own) the IP outright from CCP/WhiteWolf and Hasbro/WotC,

Nope.
To begin licensing the IP, you need 7 figures a year to each company.
To rent, not to own.

Am I wrong in my perception?

Yes.

If so, could you help clarify it for me?

Not without violating confidential business information even more.

I assume

Time to stop that.

I won't be posting more on the topic after this final line.

It is stupid to think that any of the companies involved are going to budge on their IP concerns for insignificant amounts. There aren't significant amounts of money in this game. I sold 18% of the entire print run of Heirs to the Blood, so I have a very good knowledge of exactly what sold, to whom it sold, and how it broke down per player.

If you want to move V:TES towards new printings or new sets, you must be able to show CCP that they can make a profit, and they have years of experience to know how it simply paid its bills and made enough to cover a few employees that mostly worked on other products.

It was never discontinued for a lack of operating capital at CCP.
See also: MMORPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis, DeathInABottle

More
06 Jul 2012 22:13 #32872 by gymim

To begin licensing the IP, you need 7 figures a year to each company.
To rent, not to own.

7 figures to each company to license the game (per year), and that is excluding everything to make the cards and get them to the customer. So it sounds like 2 to 4 million to start it up and get running. No idea how that kind of money get rounded up, lol.

Thank you Adonai very much for your time and information! Woot!

More
06 Jul 2012 22:33 #32873 by RoddimusPrime
Like I have been saying. Unless it is community driven (as it is now), VTES is not coming back in an official published capacity. Or at least that is my belief. People should get used to that. Perhaps FFG might one day base an LCG or something of the like on the WoD, but even that is a ways out and there are other IP's that may make more profit prior to considering WoD. Plus it may not even resemble VTES and they most likely won't incorporate a back catalog of cards from a dead game. I know people say VTES is not dead, but technically it is indeed dead, but receives post community support in an unofficial capacity.

Adonai did a great job illustrating the key points and hopefully this puts this to rest for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds