file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

03 May 2011 02:45 #4034 by librarian
I like Rapid Thought.

Best version of rules can be found here:
members.cox.net/kjm1971/RapidThoughtRevised.txt

I have played this format on JOL, and it was fun.

I have played it once in RL, but not tournament, and it was fun.

I would like to see it become a standard tournament format, with everyone packing 2-3 Rapid Thought decks in their quiver, just in case.

Sadly, in LA, Rapid thought lovers are too few for us to ever have a tournament of it. Unless they get their minds changed at Origins.

What are your thoughts on Rapid Thought? Do you have any questions? Have you ever run a Rapid Thought tournament - please share your experience!

chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2011 05:56 #4037 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Let's Talk Rapid Thought!
I like Rapid Thought, without having tried it. I only had one question though - why the 3-player tables? Adonai answered in the other thread "Three player tables eliminate the cross table turns that don't effect you. They also take an extra 40+ minutes out of the game because everyone's turn always matters to you so you're always paying attention."

I don´t really like this. One of the cool things about VTES is the multiplayers crosstable-ally aspect. Maybe a compromise of 4 player tables? You still be forced to act fast because of the shorter round limit and no good pool gain.

One thing that is nice with the format is that you can play 5 or 6 rounds before finals in a tournament. Here we usually only play 2 rounds, and then every round is so very important. 5-6 rounds is more "forgiving" considering beginner players, bad seatings etc, and means you can´t go to finals with only 1 vp or something like that.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
03 May 2011 06:36 - 03 May 2011 06:36 #4039 by er-principe

I like Rapid Thought, without having tried it. I only had one question though - why the 3-player tables? Adonai answered in the other thread "Three player tables eliminate the cross table turns that don't effect you. They also take an extra 40+ minutes out of the game because everyone's turn always matters to you so you're always paying attention."

I don´t really like this. One of the cool things about VTES is the multiplayers crosstable-ally aspect. Maybe a compromise of 4 player tables? You still be forced to act fast because of the shorter round limit and no good pool gain.

One thing that is nice with the format is that you can play 5 or 6 rounds before finals in a tournament. Here we usually only play 2 rounds, and then every round is so very important. 5-6 rounds is more "forgiving" considering beginner players, bad seatings etc, and means you can´t go to finals with only 1 vp or something like that.

I totally agree allowing more sanctioned official tournament formats
Rapid thought included (but i'd like to see sanctioned also other format such as silence of death, shadow twin and warzone)

I think that rapid thought tournament tables could be made of usual 4 o 5 players with 1 hour time limit

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 03 May 2011 06:36 by er-principe.

More
03 May 2011 06:55 #4040 by extrala
First of all, I have no practical experience with Rapid Thought ..

From my point of view there are some cons and some pros:
Pro:
  • Different decks required as in constructed tournaments.
  • Rounds do not take as many time as regular tournaments, i.e. you simply play more games in the same timeframe.
  • Possibly use of different round system (swiss, for example), because you can play ~5-6 rounds.
Con:
  • Different decks required as in constructed tournaments .
  • Also fragmentation of the tournament scene possible. If there are players won't like or are not willing to participate in this kind of tournaments (see the comment of Librarian with regards to the LA playgroup. Other players might skip a regular constructed tournament, when there's a Rapid Thought tournament upcoming in the same region/city in the same time frame.
  • The table interaction (deals, votes, etc.) is reduced significantly, the multiplayer feel of VTES is definitely lost. This is the biggest drawback imho.
All in all I would be willing to try that format, but I'll think there should be some further evaluation of the format before introducing it as new/alternative (official?) tournament format. I would like to see some test runs for Rapid Thought as side events during the continental championships this year.

More
03 May 2011 07:02 #4041 by KevinM

The *entire* *point* of the Rapid Thought format is to play three-player tables.

To try to make the format into 4- or 5-player tables is missing the point entirely.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 May 2011 07:14 #4042 by er-principe

To try to make the format into 4- or 5-player tables is missing the point entirely.

I think that rapid thought is by definition just to speed up the play,
cutting round time significantly.
Wheter or not such format can be played just with 3 players table
is a matter that can be tested.
All imho, of course

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds