file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

03 May 2011 10:18 #4063 by KevinM

How could three players in RT obtain 1vp-0vp-0.5vp? As you have 0.5vp there, you are obviously suggesting a timeout, but you cannot have a timeout without two players left at the table, since if you had only the one, you'd have another VP by definition. 1vp-0vp-0.5vp appears to be an impossible result. :)

You gotta consider Life Boon and withdraw ;)

An excellent point, and one that I hadn't thought of. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Player C is ousted. Player A plays Life Boon on Player C.

Ok, still A=0vp, B=0, C=0.

Player C then withdraws.

Ok, so A=0, B=0, C=0.5 since C didn't earn a VP to be given via Life Boon to player A.

Then, have the game time out. 1-0.5-0.

But then A=0.5, B=0.5, C=0.5 ?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2011 10:24 #4064 by KevinM
Pascal,
It appears from this message groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/566a13ddd4347ed1 that since the Life Boon'ed withdraw'ing Methuselah is no longer in the game, their 0.5vp for withdrawing cannot be awarded to their Life Boon'er. Maybe we should ask LSJ?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 May 2011 10:29 - 03 May 2011 10:32 #4065 by Pascal Bertrand
I gave some quick examples of possible results with Life Boon / Withdraws above.

I think that, in that example, B plays Life Boon on A, and then B is ousted, thus removing B's Life Boon from the game. It's not the same case as when A plays Life Boon on B, and then B withdraws (the Life Boon A controls is then triggered)

Player C is ousted. Player A plays Life Boon on Player C.

Ok, still A=0vp, B=0, C=0.

Player C then withdraws.

Ok, so A=0, B=0, C=0.5 since C didn't earn a VP to be given via Life Boon to player A.

Life Boon awards half-VPs when half-VPs are awarded (until a full 1VP is awarded) : [RTR 19991206]
So it's A=0.5, B=0, C=0.

Then, have the game time out. 1-0.5-0.

But then A=0.5, B=0.5, C=0.5 ?

With the correction above, it's 1, 0.5, 0.
Last edit: 03 May 2011 10:32 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
03 May 2011 10:33 - 03 May 2011 10:38 #4066 by er-principe

So someone spending the time that I've spent asking you multiple times in multiple ways to NOT do such a thing, and suggesting that you instead create your own fun format with its own name and its own place in the VTES world,

You accused me of misinforming, which is ridicolous and really
out of the scope of a polite and respecteful discussion.
That's enough for me for ignoring such advice from you in this context.

you're just going to steal the name anyway, no matter what anyone says, creating confusion and disharmony along the way? That says a great deal about you and how much you value the opinions of others.

You are not in the position of accusing me of stealing anything,
i've made clear from the start what's the point i adressed about rapid format, and it's blatantly obvious that speaking of some testing for the same format extend to 4-5 players table it's so pointless to being afraid of use, or refer to, a given name instead of another for such format (providing, as said, that the credits of the idea are always provided in the test)
Ending up with positive test results, it's clear that a would be name
would be different.
Use common sense next time instead of being so pendatric

thank you

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 03 May 2011 10:38 by er-principe.

More
03 May 2011 10:39 #4067 by bakija
So jumping in 10 minutes late...

Rapid Thought is a great tournament format. I ran a fantastic event at Origins a couple years back with, like, 20+ people, where we did 2 preliminary rounds and a final in less than 3 hours. Very few games timed out with the 45 minute rounds.

Rapid Thought uses, by design, 3 player games. As it means that everyone is directly interacting with everyone else and when someone is ousted, the game rapidly accelerates towards an end as opposed to plateauing and rebalancing. Which happens a lot in 5 player games. It also means that you can build your deck specifically knowing there will be exactly 3 players in each game, as opposed to maybe 4, maybe 5 (like in regular games). Having 3 players also means that everything will go a lot faster every time.

I'm not convinced, still, that there need to be different deck construction rules for this format (at some point, Kevin was using a "you only need 6 vampires in your crypt" rule. I mean, it is helpful if you want to use it, but it also is a stumbling block for folks to jump in on the fly.

More
03 May 2011 10:41 #4068 by Pascal Bertrand

So jumping in 10 minutes late...

Rapid Thought is a great tournament format. I ran a fantastic event at Origins a couple years back with, like, 20+ people, where we did 2 preliminary rounds and a final in less than 3 hours. Very few games timed out with the 45 minute rounds.

Did you use game wins? Which definition did you use?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds