file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

04 May 2011 06:48 - 04 May 2011 06:50 #4118 by er-principe

I played in the tournament Bakija ran, and it was a ton of fun. I don't think it'd work very well without using decks specifically suited to it, but I dunno that standard decks would be unplayable in the format (assuming they took out any cards banned in RT), just not quite as good.

I really, really don't think it'd work very well with more than three people. While I understand people saying that three-player VTES isn't "real" VTES, a big part of the point of RT is that it's not standard VTES. If you want to be able to make crosstable deals with someone who isn't your predator or prey, don't play RT, which won't give you enough time to do so.

Just wondering:
as the original RT format is intended out of the standard cross-table
aspect of vtes, could make sense to consider a rapid format with tables
of 3 and 2 players ?
Maybe with a rule clause that in the case of a 2 players table the bleed bouncer-only cards can be burned as much as the banned cards of the format ?

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 04 May 2011 06:50 by er-principe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2011 07:17 #4119 by Juggernaut1981
2-Player would heavily favour a very limited number of decks:
Rush Combat, Wall Combat and potentially Reduce-Walls.

Most other decks would find it incredibly difficult to succeed in a 2-player format.

Rapid Thought does potentially favour combat decks as it is.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
04 May 2011 07:49 #4121 by Pagan
Replied by Pagan on topic Re: Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

I cannot recall if we did Game Wins or not,

Yes we did GWs. And I don't only remember that just because I had 3GW 9VP, only to die to some loser's ANI cheese rush.

Any deck can be converted to rapid thought. I took a 90 card Renegade Garou deck and took it down to the minimum deck size right before we started and did just fine.

I'd totally jump inline for an Origins 2011 Rapid Thought tourney. It'll only cost one side game of BSG too since it's over fast.

I do agree with the above ideas too that Ashur's Tablets should join the other good cards on the banned list.

More
04 May 2011 14:50 #4136 by elotar
And thouse people are against errating villein! :P

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
04 May 2011 16:23 #4139 by Robba Yaga
I'm jumping into this very late, but so be it.

I've played in two Rapid Thought tournaments and I was annoyed as hell by two things:

1) If we're eliminating pool gain, ELIMINATE pool gain entirely other than the oust. It was annoying watching a vote deck (which is more powerful in this format to begin with) power up with constant voter cap. I would argue that ANY pool gain would go to the blood back other than the oust, much like the ancient WOTC Gehenna version of the original Jyhad.

2) In most three player tables, the preferred method is kill your pred and then win the head to head game. I think my first rule would go a long way towards stopping this, but perhaps a change in how VPs are handed out as well? Perhaps a negative VP award for the person backousting should they win the head to head? Maybe this is unnecessary, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Robba Yaga

More
04 May 2011 18:07 #4141 by bakija

Right, but we made that burn option rule on the spot for those cards, remember? I think we even used GWs because I was getting on your case about it and you didn't really care. ;)
members.cox.net/kjm1971/RapidThoughtRevised.txt

Ah, yes, fair point. I went and looked at the rules again and saw that (which I had forgot).

So all things as they are, anyone can sit down, play a game with whatever deck they happen to have around, even with illegal cards. So there is no barrier to entry at all.

That being said, I'm still baffled that people don't love this format. I mean, yeah, I don't want to play it all the time or anything, but having run two different Rapid Thought tournaments (one with 20+ people, one with about 12), and both of them were hysterical and mercifully quick (again, 2R+F in under 3 hours), I'd figure more people would jump on board.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds