file Getting into the game!

17 Jun 2011 20:31 #5273 by MaxO
Replied by MaxO on topic Re: Getting into the game!
are the starters worth getting over the 3rd ed ones?

Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:34 - 17 Jun 2011 20:35 #5274 by brandonsantacruz

Thanks! They have the Keepers of Tradition for sale on the EU site - Should I get this instead of the 3rd edition stuff?

What's the difference between the two?

If you have some money to put into this game and aren't sure about buying this guy's collection, I'd do something similar to what Adonai suggests.

Buy the following:
1x KoT starter box
1x 3rd Ed starter box
1x Blood Shadowed Court

Next, you *could* get third edition boosters, but it may be better to buy this guy's collection. Do you know people that play? They may have extra cards to help you build decks. Of base sets, I'd rank third edition and Lords of the Night, if it can be considered a base set, as least desirable. If this guy bought 3000 cards, I think he is likely to give you way more of the basic cards you need to round out your decks.

Edit: by the way, check out this thread for some more ideas. It may be useful.

www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/5-generic-vtes-discussion/5077-what-was-your-first-starter

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 20:35 by brandonsantacruz. Reason: added info

More
17 Jun 2011 20:34 - 17 Jun 2011 20:35 #5275 by prunesquallor

Jyhad was sold at $5 for 684 cards (i.e. $5 for a booster display) for 2-3 years. If the person you are buying from bought 5 displays at that price, he would have invested $25 and will be getting $100 back.
[\quote]

No matter what it once sold for, or how much the seller is making/losing, this is not an accurate statement of the value of things today. A collection that's mostly Jyhad cards can go for anywhere from $0.005 to $0.03 per card depending. If there are some expansions it's worth a bit more.

The collection you're looking at is priced perhaps slightly high (about $0.033 per card) but it's hardly outrageous.

The other reasons given are all perfectly good reasons to go for the new cards instead (they don't cost that much more, there are fewer card text changes and errata to worry about). I'm only disputing the suggestion that the collection you were looking at is overvalued. Who knows, if it's got a few hundred Sabbat era cards in it, it could be a great buy.

Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 20:35 by prunesquallor.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:41 - 17 Jun 2011 20:42 #5276 by Damnans
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 20:42 by Damnans.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:42 - 17 Jun 2011 20:45 #5277 by MaxO
Replied by MaxO on topic Re: Getting into the game!
Thanks for the input - I agree with what prunesquallor is saying, but I'm glad I was given a heads up.

If I buy the two starter boxes, would I be able to simple mix the decks from the two together as I see fit to make em better? Or are the starters in them pretty linear?

Max

-edit- thanks for the list of cards, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the game for it to really make a difference!
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 20:45 by MaxO.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:46 #5278 by prunesquallor

are the starters worth getting over the 3rd ed ones?

Max

Actually, since you're not going to find any Keepers boosters out there to supplement what you get from the starters, I think you're better off starting with some 3rd Edition starters + boosters.

The Keepers decks are Camarilla clans, and there's not a base set available anymore that is focused around the Camarilla vampires. Doesn't mean that they mix like oil and water, plenty of people play decks with both Camarilla and Sabbat, it's just harder to get started if some of the good cards from your boosters won't work with your starters.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds