file Getting into the game!

18 Jun 2011 12:39 #5302 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Getting into the game!
it's hard to judge a "collection" of cards without a player looking through them. it could have a lot of rares, but if it's like 100 Praxis Seizures then it's somebody's junk giveaway box.

I would say if there's at least one card called "Freak Drive" then that's a good sign it's a legit collection and worth the price. everyone loves that card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2011 12:57 #5304 by MaxO
Replied by MaxO on topic Re: Getting into the game!
Thanks for allt he replies!

In my group, there is no playgroup, I'm just trying to get other people involved in what I think is a very interesting game!

If I were to just buy a box of starters, which set should I go for? This way, it's not too much of an investment if my players don't take onto the game!

Max

More
18 Jun 2011 13:09 #5305 by MaxO
It would also seem to me to that the players kit would be a really good way to get into the game, but I can't find any online - are they notoriously hard to find?

Max

More
18 Jun 2011 13:32 #5307 by brandonsantacruz

Thanks for allt he replies!

In my group, there is no playgroup, I'm just trying to get other people involved in what I think is a very interesting game!

If I were to just buy a box of starters, which set should I go for? This way, it's not too much of an investment if my players don't take onto the game!

Max

If just one box of starters, 3rd edition is pretty solid IMO. KoT has a bunch of janky cards that don't work well together if that is all you buy. If you get one box of 3rd edition starters, that's 2 each of !Brujah (the ! before the name indicates antitribu), !Malkavians, !Tremere and Tzimisce, all interesting and different clans. Four players could play reasonably good games based on those cards alone. That said, people generally find that there are weaknesses in just playing with starters (i.e. they need a handful of extra cards to make it function smoothly). That could be where this collection or another box of starters come in. If you buy just 1-2 boxes of 3rd edition boosters, you may get 1-2 copies of a lot of different cards when you really want 4+. If this collection has some of these cards, I think it is likely a good way to improve on that box of starters:

Blood Doll
Minion Tap
Deflection
Telepathic Misdirection
Wake with the Evening's Freshness
Forced Awakening
Govern the Unaligned
Conditioning

These are all common cards, so there may be 10, 20, 30, or even more copies of each in there if it is a collection. One way to tell how old the collection is was already mentioned. If the back of the cards mostly or all say Jyhad instead of Vampire the Eternal Struggle, it is an older collection. That could be good or bad, it just depends. There have been some changes to card text, but we can go over those on the forum or you can find them on the list of cards on this site.

If the collection has some or all of the following cards, it really hasn't been picked through:

Freak Drive(as mentioned)
Embrace
War Ghoul
Jake Washington
Direct Intervention
Dreams of the Sphinx
Pentex Subversion
Anarch Troublemaker
Disarm

Vampires are usually not especially valuable, but if you see Alexandra, Arika or even Ezmerelda, they are pretty sought after.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
18 Jun 2011 14:00 #5308 by MaxO
Thanks for the detailed reply. Would it be wise to buy 1 of each starter, for both 3rd Ed and KoT? Because I got told that this might be a way to get variety etc and gives me 8 different start points, from which to build upon, or combine as it is suggested in
www.thelasombra.com/dbc/dbc.htm

Also, what are antitribu vampires? How do they differ to normal ones?

Max

More
18 Jun 2011 14:18 #5309 by TorranceCircle

Also, what are antitribu vampires? How do they differ to normal ones?

Max

Antitribu means they are sabbat sect. When you get a box of starters from third and from KoT, as one example, you will have two Brujah antitribu decks fron 3rd and two brujah decks from KoT. you wil then have four decks that fit the skills of celrity, potence, and presence. you can mix the vampires and all the cards. The exception is that any card that requirs a specific clan can't be used by the other. So, if a card requires Brujah antitribu (the brujah symbol backed by a blood spot) then you cannot use a brujah to play it.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds