lightbulb Crypt card redesign

02 Aug 2016 23:15 - 02 Aug 2016 23:33 #77735 by Ke.
Crypt card redesign was created by Ke.
Following on from Library cards; it's time for crypt cards to receive the same treatment.

Thankfully Self Biased had already nailed down a solid redesign of crypt cards here:

www.vekn.net/forum/generic-v-tes-discussion/66100-the-full-bleed-project-updated-07-05-15?start=156

So it was more a case of taking that rule set and applying a design that matched the library card redesign. Here's an old card compared to the new design (ignore the faint border):

For crypt cards the sizing routine was change to maximise the amount of artwork visible — while still retaining clear text. Certain keywords (+bleed, +strength, etc) have be moved to be more prominate. The clan name is now visible as text without any loss of viable artwork space. The group number is faint, aligned to the right and visible on all cards. The capacity blood drop has effect has been toned down, but retained for familiarity.

So far 8 of 40 clan textures have been created. The idea behind these is for them to be recreated as new — but draw from past designs so they're still recognisable — hopefully these will be complete before next week. If anyone is interested in helping out with these skype me: ketec2
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 23:33 by Ke..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:15 #77736 by Ke.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:43 #77737 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign
awesome work so far. I think we're going to go around in circles, RE: redundant information. I'd much rather see the Clan Icon and just know it's Tzimisce, and see Sect and title in the black portion of the text box. The group number is hard-ish to read, and someone who has a visual impairment (like the one dude in my playgroup, so i'm sensitive to that) might have a hard time reading it.

and because i have access to the dropbox files, i'm super impressed with your photoshop-fu. and then there's me, rocking back and forth on my fucking clown shoes.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:58 #77738 by Ke.

More
03 Aug 2016 00:06 #77739 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

awesome work so far. I think we're going to go around in circles, RE: redundant information. I'd much rather see the Clan Icon and just know it's Tzimisce, and see Sect and title in the black portion of the text box. The group number is hard-ish to read, and someone who has a visual impairment (like the one dude in my playgroup, so i'm sensitive to that) might have a hard time reading it.

Yep; agreed — increased the visibility of the group number.

In terms of the clan name; I don't think it's redundant. Having both the icon and the text re-enforces while learning and it solves an important design issue: What to do when the vampire has no "text".

By including the clan name, it means that there's always a location for "Group X" and always ensures that there's content for both the white and the black boxes — which means consistency across all crypt cards. Here's just some standard dude:

It would be very odd if there wasn't text in one of the boxes or one of the boxes "just wasn't there".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desso Alastor

More
03 Aug 2016 00:16 #77740 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign

It would be very odd if there wasn't text in one of the boxes or one of the boxes "just wasn't there".

i hadn't thought of that. However, Sect and Titles are still important, and could probably stand to be highlighted more than they currently are.

Also, This layout makes me hate the existence of the stupid antitribu clans even more than I already do (which is not an inconsiderable amount). there's ridiculously easy ways to fix that and we can just pretend there are Sabbat Ventrue and Camarilla Ventrue, and still do bloodlines shit like we already do.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds