lightbulb Crypt card redesign

30 Aug 2016 09:19 #78066 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

The new crypt cards have the clan name in text (ommitted before!) and a clear location for group. Separating this information out keeps the content fairly similar to previous crypt cards.

As to what other pieces of information are placed here that's open to discussion. Currently the following are also included here:

+Bleed (no conditions)
+Strength (no conditions)
+Stealth (no conditions)
+Intercept (no conditions)
Infernal
Scarce
Sterile
Infernal
Blood cursed

Sect and title remain in the white box and are BOLD if the there is other content. You can't make everything bold — defeats the purpose of bold text...

Ok, first, currently, Infernal does appear properly. There are a lot of vampire with this trait in theirs white box instead of the black one.

Then, I think that, before discussing what goes where, we should be clear about how we write them.
Personally, I prefer if, in the black box,we had : Clan / Traits (ordered alphabetically) / +Bleed, 'cept, etc. (ordered alphabetically).
Right now I can't find any logic in the setting. And some of them (like Petaniqua ADV) looks very unaesthetic to me.

As for the white box, I think that the sect (and traits if any) should always be bold. Even if there is no other text.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenPeal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2016 12:32 #78067 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

The new crypt cards have the clan name in text (ommitted before!) and a clear location for group. Separating this information out keeps the content fairly similar to previous crypt cards.

As to what other pieces of information are placed here that's open to discussion. Currently the following are also included here:

+Bleed (no conditions)
+Strength (no conditions)
+Stealth (no conditions)
+Intercept (no conditions)
Infernal
Scarce
Sterile
Infernal
Blood cursed

Sect and title remain in the white box and are BOLD if the there is other content. You can't make everything bold — defeats the purpose of bold text...

Ok, first, currently, Infernal does appear properly. There are a lot of vampire with this trait in theirs white box instead of the black one.

Then, I think that, before discussing what goes where, we should be clear about how we write them.
Personally, I prefer if, in the black box,we had : Clan / Traits (ordered alphabetically) / +Bleed, 'cept, etc. (ordered alphabetically).
Right now I can't find any logic in the setting. And some of them (like Petaniqua ADV) looks very unaesthetic to me.

As for the white box, I think that the sect (and traits if any) should always be bold. Even if there is no other text.

See www.vekn.net/output-changes#R0213

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
31 Aug 2016 13:30 #78080 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

I completely agree. As a designer, I would have no idea why a given piece of crypt text would go in the black text box or the white text box apart from "Ke said so". To be fair, I currently have no idea for the official crypt layout why a given piece of crypt text would be bolded or unbolded apart from "LSJ/Pascal/Vincent said so". There's a rules-level overhaul needed here before we consider a layout change unless we stick with the game "as is".

More
01 Sep 2016 07:29 - 01 Sep 2016 07:33 #78086 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

As a designer, I would have no idea why a given piece of crypt text would go in the black text box or the white text box apart from "Ke said so".

Come on; that's is a bit rich. It wasn't because of "Ke said so" — it was because of community input and me listening to that input. Now that you're taking part you can offer your input also — great.

I think at the very least non-conditional +bleed, +strength, +intercept and +stealth should be bold.

Here are a few variations:

Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 07:33 by Ke..

More
01 Sep 2016 07:57 - 01 Sep 2016 07:59 #78087 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

I think at the very least non-conditional +bleed, +strength, +intercept and +stealth should be bold.

Why do you treat non-conditional +X hand size differently ?
Though I get that this ability targets the player when the other target the vampire, I don't think that we should separate abilities that use the same wording.

Also, why not try something more faithful to the pattern Ankha linked ?

Pattern: '{Sect}. {Title}. {Traits}:'. If the sect and the title go together, no full stop to separate them : 'Camarilla Prince of...'. For unnamed titles : 'Independent. 1 vote (titled)'. Traits are then listed in alphabetic order: 'Black Hand. Infernal. Seraph'. If the vampire is non-unique, write 'Non-unique' just after the ':'. Eg. 'Independent: Non-unique' (It isn't a trait per se).

With your layout we only need to add {Clan}. before {Sect}. and then end with {Group}.
(BTW, I don't know if here is the right place to talk about it, but I strongly disagree with not considering "Non-unique" as a trait. Unique is a trait, its opposite should be as well even if they are not on the same cardtype.)

Anyway, all this could go in the black box and you could leave the white box for abilities and non-conditionnal bonus.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 07:59 by 666Raziel.

More
01 Sep 2016 08:05 #78088 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

As a designer, I would have no idea why a given piece of crypt text would go in the black text box or the white text box apart from "Ke said so".

Come on; that's is a bit rich. It wasn't because of "Ke said so" — it was because of community input and me listening to that input. Now that you're taking part you can offer your input also — great.

It really doesn't matter. There is no logical structure to the crypt text templating you're proposing and it is therefore not useful to the people who design the cards for this game.

I think a more solid logical foundation to the crypt text templating needs to be established, otherwise the current official templating is preferable. A discussion of crypt text templating probably belongs in another thread.

At any rate, I very much like self biased's original layout concept of an open-border crypt card with a fixed text box and standard text templating. It has the clean, fresh, and modern look while remaining consistent with existing cards.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds