file Re: Strix superior and the edge

16 Dec 2011 08:59 - 16 Dec 2011 09:00 #18628 by TunFiskeMad

Is't "the bleed is now unsuccesful" redundant text since it is now for zero and hence cannot be a succesful bleed?

As stated before it is posible to change a bleed from succesful to unsuccesful.

If you could gain the edge before strix then why couldnt you gain the edge before spying mission?

Quote correct card text if you're gonna quote card text. Using quotation marks like that brings confusion.

Where was it stated that it's possible to change a bleed from successful to unsuccessful?

The differences in card text were listed on the first page of this thread. Please check those posts instead of asking for new ones on the same subject.

Regarding changing from succesful to unsuccesful, some of those cards have been mentioned several times; Archon investigation and spying mission to name a few.

If I didn't phrase the comment about strix card text clearly enough here it is again:

The text "the bleed is now unsuccesful" is redundant since a bleed for zero is unsuccesful.

- I have bitten the mighy judge-beard.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2011 09:00 by TunFiskeMad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2011 09:24 - 16 Dec 2011 09:25 #18630 by Ankha

Regarding changing from succesful to unsuccesful, some of those cards have been mentioned several times; Archon investigation and spying mission to name a few.

If I didn't phrase the comment about strix card text clearly enough here it is again:

The text "the bleed is now unsuccesful" is redundant since a bleed for zero is unsuccesful.

There's no such card with the cardtext you quote. I agree with Henrik: what are you talking about?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 16 Dec 2011 09:25 by Ankha.

More
16 Dec 2011 09:36 #18632 by henrik

There are those two, yes. None of them are played after the bleed is successful. None of them change the bleed from successful to unsuccessful. See the card texts below:

Name: Archon Investigation
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 3 pool
Master: out-of-turn.
Only usable when a minion is attempting to bleed you and the bleed amount is 4 or more. Burn the acting minion. (The action is not successful.)

Name: Spying Mission
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] Only usable when a bleed would be successful. The bleed burns no pool; it is unsuccessful. Instead, put this card on the acting vampire. The next time this vampire successfully bleeds the same Methuselah, burn this card for +2 bleed.

It wasn't clear to me that you were talking about card text that didn't exist. It looked to me like you were misquoting the card text on Archon Investigation or Spying Mission.

Anyway, there's the question about whether Strix actually changes the bleed amount though, card text only states that "The bleed burns no pool". Reducing the pool burnt isn't necessarily the same as reducing the bleed amount.
As for the card text being redundant, it apparently wasn't redundant in other cases (Spying Mission, Archon Investigation) where it's actually quite clear that the bleeds would end up unsuccessful. The lack of such text on Strix could be either because it was deemed unneeded or because Strix was meant to work differently (which is sort of the core of the original question here).
The issue could be compared to Sudden Reversal/Wash vs Santaleous, where Santaleous lacks the "no cost is payed" text and thus works differently.

Name: Strix
Cardtype: Reaction
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Striga
Burn Option
[str] +1 intercept, even if intercept is not yet needed. If this vampire successfully blocks this action, he or she untaps at the end of the action. [str] is not a Discipline.
[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you is successful. The bleed burns no pool. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

More
16 Dec 2011 11:58 #18647 by TunFiskeMad
Fair enough, I just reread the bleed section of the rules:

rules section 6.1.1. Bleed

Additionally, if the action succeeds and the bleed amount is one or more, then the bleed is successful and the controller of the acting minion gets the Edge, taking it from the Methuselah who has it.

(I haven't quoted it all just the last paragraph).

Going by this I would have to conceed that it seems rather clear that the edge moves, since it is not the pool burned but the amount of the bleed that is relevant for the edge to move.

- I have bitten the mighy judge-beard.

More
16 Dec 2011 12:18 #18651 by Ankha

Going by this I would have to conceed that it seems rather clear that the edge moves, since it is not the pool burned but the amount of the bleed that is relevant for the edge to move.

That is the whole point in the discussion.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
16 Dec 2011 14:38 #18664 by Pascal Bertrand
I pinged LSJ about the design intent of that one. I'm still waiting for his answer. After an amount of time I decide too long, I'll answer here directly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xaddam, Hakuron, henrik, jamesatzephyr

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds