file Re: Strix superior and the edge

02 Jan 2012 00:42 #19704 by Pascal Bertrand
Rewording Strix as part of the "When bleed is successful" rewordings in RTR 20111202 .

New cardtext:

Name: Strix
Cardtype: Reaction
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Striga
Burn Option
[str] +1 intercept, even if intercept is not yet needed. If this vampire successfully blocks this action, he or she untaps at the end of the action. [str] is not a Discipline.
[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. The bleed burns no pool. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

This gets played in the usual Spying Mission window. Edge moves, per the definition of a successful bleed (bleed amount > 0 and successful action).

If you think altering it into "The bleed burns no pool {but remains successful}." would be clearer, let me know. That's a quick change that doesn't change how the card works, and that I can do on the fly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xaddam, henrik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2012 01:02 #19706 by KevinM

Rewording Strix as part of the "When bleed is successful" rewordings in RTR 20111202 .

New cardtext:

Burn Option
[str] +1 intercept, even if intercept is not yet needed. If this vampire successfully blocks this action, he or she untaps at the end of the action. [str] is not a Discipline.
[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. The bleed burns no pool. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

This gets played in the usual Spying Mission window. Edge moves, per the definition of a successful bleed (bleed amount > 0 and successful action).

If you think altering it into "The bleed burns no pool {but remains successful}." would be clearer, let me know. That's a quick change that doesn't change how the card works, and that I can do on the fly.

I think that, if you were to feel that you had to change any wording on the card, you should change it to:

[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. {The action (but not the bleed) is successful, and no pool is lost}. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

In fact, I think we could use "{The action (but not the bleed) is successful, and no pool is lost}." on several cards, just to make it absolutely, crystal clear.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
02 Jan 2012 06:13 - 02 Jan 2012 06:14 #19710 by Ankha

New cardtext:

Burn Option

I think that, if you were to feel that you had to change any wording on the card, you should change it to:

[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. {The action (but not the bleed) is successful, and no pool is lost}. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

In fact, I think we could use "{The action (but not the bleed) is successful, and no pool is lost}." on several cards, just to make it absolutely, crystal clear.

If the bleed isn't successful, you don't get the edge.

I don't like the change to Strix because saying that "the bleed would be successful" with an "instead" later in the text makes one think that it is in fact not successful.
But with Strix, the bleed is successful even if no pool is burned.

I would write it:

"[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. The bleed {is successful but} burns no pool {and} this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion."

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 02 Jan 2012 06:14 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis, Hakuron

More
02 Jan 2012 10:18 #19716 by Pascal Bertrand

I would write it:

"[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. The bleed {is successful but} burns no pool {and} this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion."

Good.

More
02 Jan 2012 10:48 #19717 by Juggernaut1981
It is a successful action but it is NOT a successful bleed since there is no pool damage. Successful bleed actions need there to be an actual pool loss from the action resolution. The edge should not be gained from a bleed action which did not result in pool loss.

[STR] Only usable when a bleed against you {would be} successful. {The action is successful but burns no pool}. Instead, this vampire taps and enters combat with the acting minion.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
02 Jan 2012 10:54 #19719 by Ohlmann
Making the bleed successful anyway have the badded advantage to make the card less confusing. You can't easily guess that Strix make the bleed fail but not the action, and I can see a lot of people having it wrong.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds