file Re: Strix superior and the edge

03 Jan 2012 01:53 - 03 Jan 2012 01:53 #19763 by Juggernaut1981
But that dodges the point that the idea of the Edge is that you were the last Methuselah able to take an effective bleed action on your prey that resulted in pool loss. It is a reward for successfully bleeding and dealing damage. Spying Mission has clearly been written, ruled and errataed to exclude a 0-bleed transferring the Edge. Why should it be any different for Strix?

Why should the Edge, a reward for effectiveness as a predator, be given on resolution of an action that did nothing? You don't gain the Edge for hunting, rescuing or anything else except bleeding. Why should the Edge be given on a bleed action that has resolved for 0 pool damage? It doesn't if Telepathic Counter was used, why should it for Strix?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 03 Jan 2012 01:53 by Juggernaut1981.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2012 07:01 #19768 by Ankha

Why should the Edge, a reward for effectiveness as a predator, be given on resolution of an action that did nothing?

Because of card design?

You don't gain the Edge for hunting, rescuing or anything else except bleeding.

Sargon does. Why wouldn't another card do so?

Why should the Edge be given on a bleed action that has resolved for 0 pool damage? It doesn't if Telepathic Counter was used, why should it for Strix?

Because of card design?

You are mentioning a "reward" aspect for effectively burning pool that is not defined in the rulebook.

It feels like you want to twist the rules to suit your mood...

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Jan 2012 08:59 #19771 by jamesatzephyr

But that dodges the point that the idea of the Edge is that you were the last Methuselah able to take an effective bleed action on your prey that resulted in pool loss.

No, the Edge is nothing of the sort.

If I take a successful bleed action against *any* Methuselah, I get the Edge. Rulebook 1.2.3. Rulebook 6.1.1.

Additionally, I can take a successful bleed action against my prey and someone else may burn pool for it. (Major Boon - note that the target of the bleed isn't changed, which is important for e.g. Telepathic Counter.) I still get the Edge. Bleed amount greater than zero. Pool burned by target, zero.

It is a reward for successfully bleeding and dealing damage.

Incorrect.

See the references that have repeatedly been provided in this thread.

More
03 Jan 2012 11:15 #19773 by Pascal Bertrand

But that dodges the point that the idea of the Edge is that you were the last Methuselah able to take an effective bleed action on your prey that resulted in pool loss. It is a reward for successfully bleeding and dealing damage. Spying Mission has clearly been written, ruled and errataed to exclude a 0-bleed transferring the Edge. Why should it be any different for Strix?

Are you asking "Why don't we issue a ruling, errate the card, and reword the rulebook rather than apply what is currently existing"?
Probably because that's not the best way to deal with cards. Cardtext + rulebook should be enough 90% of the time. Up-to-date cardtext + up-to-date rulebook should be enough 99% of the time. I'm not sure Strix is the 1%. I'm actually quite confident that cardtext + rulebook apply quite well here.

Why should the Edge, a reward for effectiveness as a predator, be given on resolution of an action that did nothing? You don't gain the Edge for hunting, rescuing or anything else except bleeding. Why should the Edge be given on a bleed action that has resolved for 0 pool damage? It doesn't if Telepathic Counter was used, why should it for Strix?

Because the bleed amount isn't 0 with Strix, but it is with Telepathic Counter (in your previous example). So why should the Edge not move?

More
03 Jan 2012 11:16 #19774 by Juggernaut1981

See the references that have repeatedly been provided in this thread.

Yes, and while those are the rules... they do not explain the POINT of the Edge but merely its function. And while I have read those references and understand the definition of the function of the Edge in its mechanical sense... notice my argument is not about the MECHANICAL function of the Edge. My argument is about the way the Edge is supposed to be given to someone who successfully bleeds, which intuitively should be given to someone who deals pool damage through a bleed action.

I understand that the rules as currently written allow people the loophole of some kind of non-pool-damage-dealing-but-greater-bleed-amount-than-0 bleed action.

My point is, WHY should we interpret the rules to be read that way? Why should we not instead interpret it simply? No pool damage was done, so the Edge should not move. That would be intuitive.

If the action is successful, the target Methuselah burns an amount of pool equal to the bleed amount.((snip)) Additionally, if the action succeeds and the bleed amount is one or more, then the bleed is successful and the controller of the acting minion gets the Edge, taking it from the Methuselah who has it, if any.

The simple, direct reading of these two sentences after each other implies that the Edge should not move after a bleed resolves on the targeted player for zero via the Strix card.

Major Boon does not stop the pool being burned, other example cards of reducing the pool burned (Protected Resources and Night Moves) do not stop pool actually being burned and those cards that do reduce the pool actually being burned to zero (e.g. Spying Mission) result in a successful action but an unsuccessful bleed. Why should Strix be any different??? From that section of the Rules, and the text on Strix, I can still see no LOGICAL reason for Strix to be treated differently to Spying Mission.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
03 Jan 2012 11:28 - 03 Jan 2012 11:28 #19775 by Pascal Bertrand

I can still see no LOGICAL reason for Strix to be treated differently to Spying Mission.

Incorrect. You stated the reason yourself, and proposed a change. What you don't understand is why Strix isn't ruled to be a bleed for 0, when Spying Mission was.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2012 11:28 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds