file Striga/Maleficia

20 Jul 2012 13:52 #33538 by ReverendRevolver
the only reason i see to have either of these "not-disciplines" in the rulebook is if more cards are printed that require them. seeing the symbol on a card that requires it would lead someone who isn't familiar with them to wonder "who has this skill?" it says its not a discipline on cards that need it, but nothing else. it easy enough to remedy by asking someone, i just think future cards should have stronger reminder text.

but i also think that if the game gets picked back up, symbols should be used for things other than just disciplines and flight. if a minion can do something as a d action, having the [D] : this minion may"blahblahblah" and cutting out the "as a [d] action"part. or if the minion can gain an effect by burning a blood have [blood] [reaction] : this minion may give any minion +1 intercept or [blood] [combat] :this minion may treat agg as normal this round of combat.
i think wizards owns the tap symbol, so thats probably out, but still, simplicity like symbols makes the game less windy with wording (even if it also makes it like reading algebra with too many symbols)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 14:29 #33539 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia

or if the minion can gain an effect by burning a blood have [blood] [reaction] : this minion may give any minion +1 intercept or [blood] [combat] :this minion may treat agg as normal this round of combat.

Well, conviction costs (and paradox costs) are written this way. Maybe there are not enough cards using a blood cost in card text to require a symbol.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 Jul 2012 15:41 #33541 by ReverendRevolver
very true for library cards, but there are @ least 40 crypt cards that have "may burn a blood to" "can burn a blood to" or "...burn 1 blood (make something happen" and thats not counting the blounts or humo/greenesleaves (or vamps that allow other vamps to burn a blood for something, like som caitiff/pander or jack drake). and my secret library searches didn't show me jalan, lambach, or qawiyya so i'm sure i didn't try all the combinations there are.

i'm not sure if it would make things easier, but it takes away words, streamlines rules, and makes potential reprints look more organized.

william biltmore could read:

Camarilla. [1blood]:+1 bleed or +1 stealth. only usable once each action.

it would allow things to be easier to read. i'm not saying its the absolute best thing to happen in game design since Garfeild invented turning a card sideways and copy-writing it, but its an idea. mtg has convoluted rules involving the cost before the colin, and i'm not even saying to adopt that inso much as to say a blood symbol follow by a colon should mean "this minion can/may burn this amount of blood for this effect with these limitations."
just a thought though, and its not needed on library cards, since so few of them would be relevant to the concept at the moment

More
20 Jul 2012 16:06 #33545 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia
As a side note, burning blood and blood cost are actually pretty different. I am not sold that the difference warrant to be keeped at all cost, but whithout a real new edition, (experienced) people will resist that kind of change.

More
27 Jul 2013 23:52 #52373 by rezwits
Replied by rezwits on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia
I remember when I was just browsing cards and said "Striga, what is this", then went to google and typed "striga white wolf wiki" and got this wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Striga

Briefly I just thought it's a built in ability/pseudo-discipline of all infernal. That's all, went on with life.

But after running into Maleficia, I was like wait they don't just get 2 free pseudo-disciplines.

Then came here and now this makes sense:

You have to put the master cards on infernal vampires to enable their Striga/Malefcia

And I guess thats all.

More
28 Jul 2013 00:13 #52374 by ReverendRevolver

I remember when I was just browsing cards and said "Striga, what is this", then went to google and typed "striga white wolf wiki" and got this wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Striga

Briefly I just thought it's a built in ability/pseudo-discipline of all infernal. That's all, went on with life.

But after running into Maleficia, I was like wait they don't just get 2 free pseudo-disciplines.

Then came here and now this makes sense:

You have to put the master cards on infernal vampires to enable their Striga/Malefcia

And I guess thats all.

More or less. Oddly, since its not actually a "discipline" in vtes, things like mundane, blood weakens, veil of darkness , and slow withering have no effect on it.

The infernal requirement makes it so you have to combo some thimgs to work.

For example, if you give Drago the textbook damnation and one striga, he can, literally, punch for 4,000,000,000. For free.

But its alot of setup........

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds