file Striga/Maleficia

07 Jun 2012 02:46 #31780 by Pagan
Replied by Pagan on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia

In any case, the card tells you what you need to know.

1) It needs an infernal minion.
2) It works like a discipline, but it is NOT a discipline.
3) 2 of this card let you use the superior effects, 1 card lets to play inferior effects.

Only if I have one of those master cards on a minion in play. Without one of the master cards there is a requirement indicated that does not exist in the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2012 05:14 #31781 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia
A brand new player will read this:

1.6.1.3 Requirements for Playing Cards. Each library card has symbols on the attribute bar (the marble stripe on the left side) for the card type (except for master cards), the clan or Discipline (if any) required to play the card and the cost (if any) of playing that card. Some cards will have other requirements (such as capacity or title) stated in the card text. Only a minion who meets the requirements given on a minion card can play it, while only a Methuselah who controls a ready minion who meets the requirements of a master card can play it.

and

Each of a vampire's Discipline symbols is in the shape of either a square or a diamond. A square-shaped Discipline symbol means that the vampire has one level of that Discipline, the basic level; he can use only the basic (plain text) effect listed on a card that requires that Discipline. A Discipline symbol within a diamond signifies that the vampire has an additional level of that Discpline, the superior level, and therefore may opt to use either the basic (plain text) or the superior (bold) effect listed on the card (but not both).

The little symbol in a square seems to be a discipline (remember: he doesn't know yet about the "special" status of Maleficia or Striga. If he does, then the whole topic is moot).

"Damn, I need to find some vampire who can play it". None has the discipline. Then, he finds a Maleficia card.

Name: Maleficia [mal]
Cardtype: Master
Master: trifle.
Put this card on an infernal vampire. This vampire may play cards that require Maleficia [mal] (not a Discipline). With two of these cards, he or she may play cards that require superior Maleficia [MAL]. Burn this card if this vampire is not infernal.

"Oh, this is how I can play Maleficia cards".

-

I don't think the rulebook should be updated to "the clan, Discipline (if any) or trait (such as flight [FLIGHT], Maleficia [mal] or Striga [str]) required to play the card" because it's not necessary as base rules, but it should be present in the Complete Rule Reference

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
07 Jun 2012 05:30 - 07 Jun 2012 05:33 #31782 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia

Only if I have one of those master cards on a minion in play. Without one of the master cards there is a requirement indicated that does not exist in the game.

The corner-case rules for Striga and Malefica are explained on vekn.net/index.php/card-lists/143-heirs-to-the-blood , much like for many years the rules for Imbued were not in the 'proper' rulebook.

They're Disciplines but not true Disciplines, so can't be chosen by various abilities that allow you to choose or fake a discipline - but otherwise function similarly.

Along similar lines, a card that had a Caitiff symbol on it as the requirement would be understood to require a Caitiff, even though Caitiff is not a proper clan.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 05:33 by jamesatzephyr.

More
11 Jun 2012 10:28 - 11 Jun 2012 10:29 #31988 by Pascal Bertrand
(Inferior) Striga / Maleficia cards are playable by minion who can play (inferior) Striga / Maleficia cards. So far, only vampires with Striga / Maleficia can do such things, per Striga / Maleficia's cardtexts.

The link jamesatzephyr gave explains how to play such cards.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2012 10:29 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
12 Jun 2012 20:55 #32071 by Squidalot
Replied by Squidalot on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia
I think you're missing Pagan's point.

He knows how the cards are played but he doesn't know that from the rulebook.

Let's take Scobax as an example:
Scobax
Type: Reaction
Requires: Striga/Presence
 Reduce a bleed against you by 1.
[str] The acting minion gets -1 stealth. [str] is not a Discipline.
[STR] As [str] above, and the action ends immediately (unsuccessfully) unless the acting minion burns 1 blood or life.

The rulebook tells us that
 is a discipline and follows the rules as quoted by Ankha above.

The rulebook does not tell him what Striga [str] or [STR] is so the card + rulebook does not tell him what to with this card.

His point is that a card + rulebook should tell you how it works e.g. like the rest of the cards he uses.
He's very clear that he knows that the Heirs to the Blood information on this website is NOT the rulebook

Whether or not you agree that it is necessary or not is a separate matter but that is what he is saying.

More
12 Jun 2012 23:38 #32078 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Striga/Maleficia

wrong. nowhere in the rulebook does it tell me :pre: is a discipline. if the only two cards I own are KoKo and Dread Gaze, I'll have no idea what :pre: is (all I know is that it's a requirement), but I'll assume it's a discipline similar to the :pot: thingy on my vampire's discipline bar.

:mal: and :str: are discipline requirement symbols so I play them like all discipline requirement symbols in the game by following the rulebook. but the Golden Rule of VTES kicks in from the card text that they are not disciplines, which prevents me from playing them in any manner that specifies disciplines (effectively, any card that is not titled Striga or Maleficia).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds