file Stutter Step vs ...

08 Feb 2013 20:20 - 08 Feb 2013 20:43 #45036 by Wedge
Stutter Step vs ... was created by Wedge
First Strike vs Combat Ends got me thinking about strike phasing,so is Stutter Step the best hand strike, worst dodge or has 2 part phasing.

[CEL] Strike: make a hand strike and dodge. This is both a hand strike and a dodge. Not usable if only hand strikes (or only dodges) are allowed. Only usable at close range. Not usable as an additional strike, and this vampire cannot use any additional strikes this round.

It is my understanding that cards resolve from the first words to the last. (see Rotschreck vs Psyche) That seems to imply the dodge in CEL stutter step is trumped by first strike and better.

I'll be honest a was hoping to see a hand strike that took place in the dodge phase, oh well.

Of course, I have never considered either of the above as possibility. I just assumed it was a hand strike and dodge or to be more precise dodge and do strength damage. Never have I considered the change in card text to be anything other then a clarification. I find it amusing that before the change it was playable under a Immortal Grapple and after it was not.

So the question does the dodge work against s the damage from strike; combat ends (i.e. Catatonic Fear) and the effects of first strike (i.e. Fast Hands) or not?

Oh, And WHY does combat end after Anesthetic TOUCH has been dodged? Yeah, yeah, card text.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 20:43 by Wedge. Reason: missing verb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 20:59 #45040 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Stutter Step vs ...
It's a dodge and a hand strike.
It protects you as a dodge does.
It deals strength damage as a hand strike does.

So the question does the dodge work against s the damage from strike;

It's a dodge so yes, you're protected.

combat ends (i.e. Catatonic Fear)

and the effects of first strike (i.e. Fast Hands) or not?

Oh, And WHY does combat end after Anesthetic TOUCH has been dodged? Yeah, yeah, card text.

The combat ends part of Anesthetic Touch is not something against the minion, so the dodge can't protect the minion from it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
08 Feb 2013 21:18 #45042 by Pascal Bertrand

The combat ends part of Anesthetic Touch is not something against the minion, so the dodge can't protect the minion from it.

Correct.

More
08 Feb 2013 21:19 #45043 by Wedge
Replied by Wedge on topic Re: Stutter Step vs ...

Yes, buy why?

More
08 Feb 2013 21:23 - 08 Feb 2013 21:25 #45044 by Pascal Bertrand

Yes, buy why?

Why is CEL Stutter Step a dodge? Because it says so. "This is both a hand strike and a dodge."

Why does the "dodge" part happen before the hand strike part? Because that's what dodges do - see the CRR VI.C.2.a for details on the strike resolution: " Dodge doesn't resolve; it cancels the effect of the opposing strike on the dodging minion and non-Retainer cards on him" .

[EDIT] Why was it written "a hand strike and a dodge" rather than "a dodge and a hand strike"? I don't know. Maybe because "and a hand" doesn't sound as nice as "and a dodge" ?
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 21:25 by Pascal Bertrand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
08 Feb 2013 22:11 #45046 by Wedge
Replied by Wedge on topic Re: Stutter Step vs ...
The card text I posted was from this site and is likely what is official, though the most recent printing does not match.

K.O.T.

[CEL] Strike: hand strike and dodge. Only usable if both strike: hand strike and strike: dodge could be chosen (individually). Only usable at close range. Not usable as an additional strike, and this vampire cannot use any additional strikes this round.

I don't think it was since reprinted. A substantial nerf from the final nights printing, thou I don't think anyone knew how strong it was until after Enkidu had been around a couple of years. So strike: dodge is an effect applied to the beginning of the strike phase, thank you.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds