Preview art by Ginés Quiñonero.
Greetings fellow Methuselahs,
We apologize for this delayed newsletter. The physical tournament activity is low, but some things are happening!
VTES ONLINE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2020
Igor Beslin and Rudolf Scholz will organize this 6 week event, played using LackeyCCG and Discord. It begins on Sunday 18th of October and runs each Sunday ending on the 22th of November. Black Chantry supports with prizes! For details, check out the related VEKN.net forum thread.
VTES ONLINE 2020 SO FAR
In the absence of physical events, quite a lot of the community turn to online VTES, especially on LackeyCCG. With the help of Igor Beslin and Rudolf Scholz we have compiled this summary of online events this year:
In 2020, so far 24 online competitions, tournaments or leagues, have been played. Igor Beslin has organized four of these events:
• The first competition of the year was a league testing a new crypt contest rule, that was later officially announced and tested again by Black Chantry Productions. It started on the 13th of January and ended on the 23rd of February. Igor caught this idea from a Brazilian player, who had posted it on VEKN.net in 2019 and wanted to see how it would work. 31 players in total attended; 18 from Europe, 9 from North America, 2 from New Zealand, and 1 each from Mexico and Brazil. The winner was Marcin Krom from Poland, playing a Black Hand toolbox versus Malkavian´94 bleed, Massassi combat, Dom-Obf bleed and a Imbued toolbox.
• The next league was “Camarilla Revolution”, which started on the 13th of March and ended on the 27th of April. It was played with regular Standard Constructed VEKN rules. 37 players attended; 28 from Europe, 3 from North America, 3 from Brazil, 2 from Mexico and 1 from New Zealand. The winner was Igor Beslin from Serbia, playing The Unnamed bleed in the final, against Montano Baltimore Purge, Black Hand toolbox, Toreador AAA vote and Emerald Legionnaires wall.
• The third league was “Not Unique Vampires”, running from the 10th of May to the 22nd of June. This league used a special crypt contest rule, where all contested vampires remain in play but still requiring Methuselahs to pay for contesting. It was officially supported by Black Chantry with prizes for every participant and additional prizes for all finalists and the winner. Even though there was a lot of discussion in forums about the contest rule test, a record of 53 players in total participated, among them EC 2019 champion Otso Saariluoma and 2019 Online World champion Milutin Melka. 43 players were from Europe, 3 from North America, 6 from Brazil and 1 from Saudi Arabia (who now lives in Germany again). The winner was Marius Iscru from France, playing Emerald Legionnaires toolbox in the final against True Brujah toolbox, Fanchon & Malgorzata toolbox, Shambling Hordes rush and Jost & Rebekka bleed.
• The fourth event was “4 Eternal Nights”, a Standard Constructed 2 rounds + final multi-deck tournament that started on the 11th of September and ended with the finals played on the 20th of September. 14 players attended; 8 from Europe, 2 from North America, 1 each from Chile, Mexico, Brazil and Saudi Arabia. The winner this time was Jay Kristoff from USA, playing a Gangrel toolbox facing Malgorzata & Tzimisce toolbox, Blood Brother Chicago rush, Ventrue antitribu grinder and The Unnamed toolbox.
The German National Coordinator Rudolf Scholz has organized five competitions during summer time. Four of them were VEKN Standard Constructed 2 rounds + final events called “Summer Rumble I–IV”, with between 10 and 16 players per tournament. In total 27 different players from 13 different countries participated. Countries (and player numbers) were: Australia (1), Belgium (1), Denmark (1), France (1), Germany (5), Mexico (1), Poland (2), Saudi-Arabia (1), Serbia (2), Spain (1), Sweden (1), UK (7), USA (3).
• Summer Rumble I was won by Joscha Duell from Germany, playing Pander plus Inner Circle vote against The Unnamed Maleficia toolbox, Vlad Tepes & Malgorzata toolbox, Pander & Gehenna events vote and Enkidu rush.
• Summer Rumble II was won by Nikica Novakovic from Serbia, playing Malkavian anarch Madness wall against Anson Presence bleed, Dracon wall, Lasombra bruise-bleed and Dominate Vicissitude bruise-bleed.
• Summer Rumble III was won by Nikolaj Wendt from Denmark, playing Eurayle, Gotsdam & Maris toolbox against Ravnos breed-boon, Black Hand wall, Toreador antitribu Undue Influence bleed and Lutz bleed.
• Summer Rumble IV was won by Lionel Pandaleux from France, playing a “Girls will find” bleed deck against Mary Anne Blaire grinder, Auspex biggies wall, Toreador antitribu breed-vote and Guillaume Real Estate toolbox.
• The fifth event was the Storyline League “Mad World”, with a prologue written by Jan Erik Söderman. It was played from the 10th of July up to the 28th of August, with the usual Storyline crypt rule (75% from one single clan) and the special rule that the first vampire or Imbued put into play by every player started with a Vampiric Disease counter. 12 rounds were played, 31 players attended in total. The winner in a final described as a “5 player chess game” was the German player Jens Niemann, with Toreador AAA wall against Guillaume Real Estate toolbox, Emerald Legionnaires wall, Emerald Legionnares bleed and Malgorzata & Tzimisce toolbox.
On the 13th of June, UK National Coordinator Paul Jones organized the “Bleedfest”, a VEKN Standard 2 rounds + final tournament with 18 players attending. The final was won by Rudolf Scholz from Germany, piloting a Giovanni bleed deck against Kiasyd bleed, Dementation bleed, weenie Computer Hacking bleed and yet another Dementation bleed.
In addition to all these events, an additional 7 tournaments (that we know of) have been organized in Brazil, 4 in Spain, 1 in North America and 2 leagues in Mexico.We thank Igor and Rudolf for this summary, and of course hope for many more online events in the future. Thanks to all of you who organize events – remember that you can have an online tournament sanctioned by adding them to the VEKN calendar, just tag it with "online"!
AN UPDATE ABOUT PRIZE SUPPORT
Black Chantry Products want to convey two bits about prize support:
• Black Chantry will continue helping with promo cards and products as prizes. This is normally at a “raw cost”, but sometimes for free, mainly to large events like continental and national championships, Grand Prix events, etc.
• There are many queries around custom prizes. If you want to make custom prizes (edges, counters, deckboxes, playmats, t-shirts, etc.), ask . These are the requirements:
- In the mail, be specific about what you want to make, for what event/events and (if any) what art you want to use.
- Never sell the item. Entry fee for an event is fine!
- After the event, mail in photos of the product for the company records.
Congratulations to Aldo Fernández D'Ambrosio, 4 vp winner in the final! This is his master heavy tournament winning deck:
2x Archon Investigation
12x Ashur Tablets
3x Direct Intervention
3x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Fear of Mekhet
1x Giant's Blood
4x Golconda: Inner Peace
4x Information Highway
8x Minion Tap
1x Monastery of Shadows
5x Parthenon, The
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Ruins of Charizel
7x Zilla's Valley
2x Call the Great Beast
3x Unleash Hell's Fury
4x Cloak the Gathering
4x Elder Impersonation
4x Faceless Night
4x Lost in Crowds
3x Sense the Sin
4x Swallowed by the Night
Thanks to organizer Miquel Jorge Tortajada, sponsors and others that helped!
Do you want to create content for the VEKN newsletter? Things that might be interesting to publish are:
- tournament reports
- strategic articles on a deck or deck archetype
- player interviews
- just about anything else that relates to VTES that is reasonably well written and not too long (2,000-6,000 characters including blanks seems about right)
BLACK CHANTRY SUMMARY: SEPTEMBER 2020
• As many of you probably noticed, Fifth Edition has run into more printing problems and is delayed. A new, hopefully final, release date will be communicated in mid October.
• The very meaty round 1 report from playtest coordinator Darby Keeney just landed in Black Chantry mailboxes. The four preconstructed decks (Banu Haqim, Brujah, Gangrel and Ministry) received mixed reviews, and the design team led by Ben Peal will now adapt them and prepare for round two of playtesting.
• In the beginning of September, the Library card section of the Drivethrucards VTES Card Creator was officially launched. Try it out if you haven´t already!
• The preview art by Ginés Quiñonero at the top of this newsletter is for one of the circa 400 cards that soon will be added to VTES Legacy Card Singles at Drivethrucards. Stay tuned for more news about this!
• Currently these Black Chantry products are available through Drivethrucards.com and other stores:
- Lost Kindred bundle
- Keepers of Tradition Reprint Bundle 1
- Keepers of Tradition Reprint Bundle 2
- Heirs of the Blood Reprint Bundle 1
- Heirs of the Blood Reprint Bundle 2
- Den of Fiends Preconstructed Deck (Also Spanish, French)
- Libertine Ball Preconstructed Deck (Also Spanish, French)
- Pact with Nephandi Preconstructed Deck (Also Spanish, French)
- Parliament of Shadows Preconstructed Deck (Also Spanish, French)
- Anthology I bundle
- VTES Card Creator (Drivethrucards only)
- 25th Anniversary
- First Blood: Malkavian (Also Spanish, French)
- First Blood: Nosferatu (Also Spanish, French)
- First Blood: Toreador (Also Spanish, French)
- First Blood: Tremere (Also Spanish, French)
- First Blood: Ventrue (Also Spanish, French)
- VTES Legacy Card Singles (Drivethrucards only)
- Promo Pack 1 (Drivethrucards only)
- Promo Pack 2 (Event promos only)
- VTES "Parity Shift" playmat
- VTES card sleeves
Do you have opinions or questions for Black Chantry? Start a topic on the VEKN forum, or contact the company by e-mail, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
• #VTMtober is community art challenge for anyone who want to draw something Vampire-related.
• "Vampire: The Masquerade — Night Road" is an interactive horror novel by Kyle Marquis, now available on Steam.
• The second issue of the Vampire: The Masquerade comic is in stores.
• "Vampire: The Masquerade – Shadows of New York" is out now for PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch!
• The main themes of the World of Darkness News show in the recent weeks have been Wraith: The Oblivion - Afterlife! (September 3), VTM novella writer Caitlin Starling (September 17), Vampire: The Masquerade - Night Road (September 25), Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest (October 1) and artist Amy Wilkins (October 8).
Follow local regulations on what physical events are possible. Notice that online tournaments are possible - just note "ONLINE" in the event name when you add the event to the calendar!
For more information on upcoming events see the V:EKN Event Calendar.
You can contact the V:EKN Inner Circle members using contact forms at V:EKN.net. Also follow the V:EKN Facebook group, the official V:TES Facebook page Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and the official V:EKN Twitter account @VEKN_VTES
"Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning."