file Gangrel trouble

09 Oct 2012 04:17 - 09 Oct 2012 04:22 #38673 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Gangrel trouble
I have a Gangrel combat deck that I love to play. It has won a few games for me and got into the final of a tournament recently.

It is Group 1/2 featuring Badger and Zach North's :pot: for Immortal Grapple. The basic combat is aggravated hands and Fortitude prevention with the occasional grapple. I also use :ani: intercept in the form of Raven Spy, Falcon's Eye, and Speak with Spirits. Never forget that the Gangrel can block - your combat deck is so much more effective with a reaction module. This deck has 9 untaps, all of them needed. Admittedly, the deck has problems against damage prevention - you have to press to continue, I guess. What's important is winning the war of attrition. The deck's not perfect - I've had some crucial card flow failures - but it's effective in a lot of metas and very fun.

Crypt
Badger x4
Zack North x2
Camille Devereux, the Raven x1
Ramona, Adv. x2
Roman Alexander x1
Ricki Van Demsi x1
Giuliano Vincenzi x1

Masters
Archon Investigation x2
Ecoterrorists x2
Fame x1
Fortitude x2
Gangrel Revel x2
Haven Uncovered x1
Life in the City x5
Tension in the Ranks x1
Zoo Hunting Ground x1

Actions
Ambush x1
Bum's Rush x2
Harass x4
Ritual Challenge x1
Shadow of the Beast x1

Combat
Amaranth x1
Bone Spur x1
Claws of the Dead x6
Drawing out the Beast x4
Form of the Ghost x2
Hidden Strength x3
Immortal Grapple x5
Indomitability x4
Resilience x2
Rolling with the Punches x3
Shattering Blow x1
Skin of Rock x3
Unflinching Persistence x1
Wolf Claws x6

Equipment
Ivory Bow x1

Reaction
Delaying Tactics x1
Falcon's Eye x2
Rat's Warning x1
Speak with Spirits x2
Wake with Evening's Freshness x8

Retainers
Raven Spy x5
Mr. Winthrop x1
Last edit: 09 Oct 2012 04:22 by AaronC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2012 04:21 #38674 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Re: Gangrel trouble

if you are willing to use the inferior auspex found on a lot of good !/gangrel, you can try Mind of the Wilds

I've had a lot of luck playing Mind of the Wilds in the past. Great card. Anyway, curious about crypt possibilities, I just went and looked for vampires with ani/aus/pro, and noticed this:

Name: Monique
Clan: Gangrel antitribu
Group: 2
Capacity: 5
Discipline: ani aus for pro
Sabbat.

Name: Caitlin
Clan: Gangrel antitribu
Group: 2
Capacity: 6
Discipline: aus dom ANI PRO
Sabbat bishop.

Quite a difference a generation makes.

Slightly out of topic, but I found these guys when looking for friends for Nu, the Pillar. They share loads of his disciplines.

I used to play G4 !Gangrel with Luke Fellows and stuff, and it did okayish from time to time. The next time I'll build something around those peeps it'll be pretty straight forward celerity plus protean, with a combat package of gadzillion Psyche!s, enough Flesh of Marbles to last a day in our (lately) combatish environment and aggropoke to deal with the opponents. Ousting by fame, tension and laptop computer bleeds, probably with Flurry of Actions. Fortitude is a bitch to beat, but what can you do. Survivability should be doable with protean intercept and abbots.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
10 Oct 2012 06:11 #38787 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Gangrel trouble
I agree with Squidalot. Another turn you can take is massive Earth Meld w tools - like www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?deck=view&id=5350

But of course Gangrel have problems with "throughput".

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
10 Oct 2012 10:37 #38814 by Squidalot

Thanks for the link, Squidalot but it looks like the majority of the combat is 13 Earth Melds.
I see lots of intercept and untap, but when you get into combat...it's just untap wall. I'm sure it works, it's just not what I had in mind.

it's more based around Janey so opportunistic but yes - that decks contains a range of the cards so you prod and choose as needed to get the proportions right

More
10 Oct 2012 11:00 - 10 Oct 2012 11:01 #38819 by Boris The Blade
The Gangrel do have a serious balance problem: since they became independent they lost access to the prince cards, but at the same time they never got as many clan cards as the 4 big independent clans. In the comparison with the Akunanse and the Laibon, it is not really that :pro: is inferior to :abo: or :chi:, but the Akunanse have access to Laibon cards and the Ravnos to Ravnos on top of that. All the Gangrel have is their disciplines.

A Gangrel themed set to make them into a proper independent clan might be a good idea for the future.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2012 11:01 by Boris The Blade.

More
10 Oct 2012 11:12 #38820 by Ohlmann
Well, in addition to that, they have discipline spread problem (since they have a significant portion of them being urban gangrel), and like the Brujah, they suffer from having two combatish discipline.

!Ventrue and Toreador strike the perfect balance for me : a defense discipline, a throutghput discipline, a combat discipline.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds