file Monocle of Clarity

30 Mar 2013 03:21 #46393 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Monocle of Clarity

Do you have to answer truthfully to deck content questions?

in other words, is it okay to cheat when it's practically impossible to get caught?

now I'm inspired, gonna put monocle in every deck and only ask questions about deck contents just to see how people react. I plan to make a real nuisance of myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2013 09:20 - 30 Mar 2013 09:31 #46396 by Kiddo
Replied by Kiddo on topic Re: Monocle of Clarity

The answer is "No." I believe that in the thread that you reference, Pascal said that you can fail to remember what is in your deck without penalty.

Could the asker of the question demand of the judge to go through the target's deck in order to verify/confirm the answer, if the asker suspects forgetfulness/foul play?
I mean, the content of every deck is not secret to judges, right?

EDIT: also, couldn't the target of a question, if he knows he isn't sure about the answer, in order to answer truthfully within a yes/no option, willingly or on his own initiative hand his deck to a judge for inspection?
Last edit: 30 Mar 2013 09:31 by Kiddo.

More
30 Mar 2013 11:30 #46398 by jamesatzephyr

Could the asker of the question demand of the judge to go through the target's deck in order to verify/confirm the answer, if the asker suspects forgetfulness/foul play?

Forgetfulness and uncertainty are allowed. You may not be playing your own deck!

But no, the deck cannot be searched to check. [LSJ 20011121]

It could be that the player in unable to answer this.
The player is not allowed to look through her library during the game (unless
an effect allows her to, of course).
Best to keep to things that can be known in order to get meaningful answers.

The basic point is that, if you want an accurate answer, pick something that is clearly known by the player - the state of their hand, the state of their uncontrolled region, the card they've put under Storage Annex, and similar options.

More
30 Mar 2013 11:45 #46399 by kombainas
Replied by kombainas on topic Re: Monocle of Clarity
Why would anyone ask for particular hands, if you could ask hypothetic questions pertaining the effects?

E.g., if I bled you for 99, would have a way to prevent the pool loss by this bleed given your current hand and other cards or abilities under your disposal? Such wording would cover any bouncing, archon investigation, etc. If you mention the real value you would bleed for, e.g. 2, bleed reduction would be included as well.

Or if this PA at 3 stealth would deal you 3 pool damage with Vampire A voting in favor with 2 votes, vampire B voting in favor with 1 vote, etc., would you be able to prevent it or deal pool damage to the acting player during this action with the "resources" (named above) at your disposal at the moment? It would cover intercepting, Delaying Tactics, Poison Pill, vote modifiers or abilities and probably more.

Yes, it is clunky, but the general question is clear, general and carefully worded. And this is somewhat harder to mess up than naming all of the cards which would have the beforementioned effects.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
30 Mar 2013 13:05 #46400 by jamesatzephyr

Or if this PA at 3 stealth would deal you 3 pool damage with Vampire A voting in favor with 2 votes, vampire B voting in favor with 1 vote, etc., would you be able to prevent it or deal pool damage to the acting player during this action with the "resources" (named above) at your disposal at the moment? It would cover intercepting, Delaying Tactics, Poison Pill, vote modifiers or abilities and probably more.

This starts edging into what can't be known. You have a Power Structure out - do I know that you're going to tap it? Perhaps I have Kindred Coercion which can change votes (but not force them), and I don't know which vampires you'll cast votes with. (Probably all, but who can say for certain?)

However, it is perfectly ordinary to ask something like "If Bobby the Vampire bleeds you at +2 stealth, do you have the ability to bounce or block it?"

More
30 Mar 2013 13:26 #46402 by kombainas
Replied by kombainas on topic Re: Monocle of Clarity

This starts edging into what can't be known. You have a Power Structure out - do I know that you're going to tap it?

The question is about an ability and having access to it. You can define the hypothetical situation as detailed as you need (who casts votes how, who plays what modifiers, etc.).

However, it is perfectly ordinary to ask something like "If Bobby the Vampire bleeds you at +2 stealth, do you have the ability to bounce or block it?"

In such case I'd answer yes if I have any bounce card in my library (or ash heap if I have an ability to recycle them) or 2 intercept in any form (even less, if there are intercept-sharing locations in play or I know someone has them in their library). The key point missed here is in defining when the bounce/block would be made.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds