file Reins of Power and Ancient Influence rewording

22 Jan 2018 10:20 - 22 Jan 2018 10:38 #85013 by Ankha

I am not a fan of the "play-to-win" rule, but its not being broken in this case.

PTW was cvcreated for a purpose.

Try playing, say in the Last Chance Qualifier of EC in a table where you have three buddies from same country. perhaps one of them is not qualified yet. You might be encvountering quite a lot of kingmaking in a table such as that without PTW...

Agreed. It is like saying "I am not a fan of fair-play." or "I am not a fan of respecting my opponents".
The object of the game is: "Your goal is to accumulate the most victory points". The play-to-win rule is the application of this object in tournament rules.

If you don't follow this guideline, you are not playing the same game as the other players, which means you are going to spoil the fun of everybody.

Back to the topic, I am not convinced by the arguments in favor of changing Reins of Power or Ancient Influence.

Say you are calling Reins of Power that is going to kill your prey. Your prey controls a 6-cap vampire and an 11-cap vampire

With the current wording, you can expect the player to choose 1/ nobody 2/ the 6-cap vampire 3/ the 11-cap vampire. In any case, you have to consider the 3 options, including the worse case scenario (no vampire chosen). This scenario is known from the start, before you play Reins of Power. If you still call Reins (your choice, your strategy) then you know your next prey will perhaps gain pool. If it is a bigger problem than gaining a VP, don't call the vote. Or play other votes such as KRC.

In any case, with the proposed cardtext, if your prey controls also a 1-cap vampire, you could be screwed anyway.

Is it against the PTW not to choose a vampire? No, since the prey is getting ousted whatever his or her choice is. Is it fair for the player calling the Reins? It really depends on the game. I have seen players choosing a neutral vampire because they thought it was fair (even if they were ousted). I have seen players choosing no one to be fair for the prey that tried to help them. Or to balance the duel etc. (But it is not fair to help someone based on an out-of-game consideration that would be collusion).

Once again, playing Reins in that case is playing risky -- and one must accept it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 22 Jan 2018 10:38 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, Lönkka, Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 20:54 #85039 by Blooded Sand

I am not a fan of the "play-to-win" rule, but its not being broken in this case.

PTW was created for a purpose.

Try playing, say in the Last Chance Qualifier of EC in a table where you have three buddies from same country. perhaps one of them is not qualified yet. You might be encountering quite a lot of kingmaking in a table such as that without PTW...

You mean the French?

Sorry, i just had to tho :D

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
24 Jan 2018 08:40 #85049 by Lönkka

You mean the French?

HEY!
I didn't name any nationalities.
Could be any...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
24 Jan 2018 09:54 - 24 Jan 2018 09:54 #85056 by Ankha

You mean the French?

HEY!
I didn't name any nationalities.
Could be any...

This may have been true maybe 15 years ago with players long retired now. Nowadays, you would be amazed to see how we (French people) are our bitterest enemies on a table.
Also, I remember the EC 2013 final with Romain and me on the table. Romain was playing Reversal of Fortune and he had an opportunity to start the combo (Otso's Goratrix being Pentexed IIRC). But his vote failed because I discarded a vote from my hand against it, despite all his promises.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 09:54 by Ankha.

More
25 Jan 2018 09:56 #85084 by Lönkka
Yeah, I know.

Just yanking your chain... ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
03 Aug 2018 16:39 #89601 by Arthur Volts
I have certainly been witness to deals being made during the voting procedure about the targets of AI, something that would be watered down and sort of lost if targets are chosen before the vote. No need to take further table talk and surprises out of the game.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds