file New to VEKN - guidance on deck building

20 Oct 2013 12:52 #55487 by vtesstudent
Hello,

This looks like a great place and glad I joined. I played very briefly years ago when the game first came out (didn't understand it too well) and would like to learn how to play this game and build a deck.

However, does anyone have any recommendations on what sets I should get my cards from? What sets are better than others? I recently purchased a sealed booster box of Jyhad, but now I'm wondering if that was the best thing to do.

Any suggestions on what the best sets are?

How should I build a deck?

Thanks!
vtesstudent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981, D-dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2013 14:27 #55492 by D-dennis
Welcome!

Where are you located?
In Europe you can still find new cards at www.vtes.de
In the US you can still find new cards at rosetatuproductions

The best way to get started again, is finding a local playgroup. They can most likely provide you with some cards too.

For deck inspiration you can take a look at
- thelasombra's TWDA
- extrala's deck archetypes page
- secret library

I admit, this is just a start, but that is what starting is all about :)

More
20 Oct 2013 14:33 #55493 by vtesstudent
Thank you D-dennis. I am in the US. I will take a look at those links.

Also - what sets are more sought after than others?

More
20 Oct 2013 14:34 - 20 Oct 2013 14:40 #55494 by Trochomancy
I think any basic sets you can find are good for starting the game. Some latest sets (like Heirs to the Blood, Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom) are more geared towards the smaller clans and not the best for starting game. Jyhad, Vtes, Camarilla edition or 3rd edition are good sets to get. Buying two copies of same preconstructed starter deck gets you pretty ok base deck for one clan. There is also community created and tournament official brand new mini set that can be downloaded and printed for FREE.

Get the Danse Macabre cards from here
www.vekn.net/vampire-elder-kindred-network/246-danse-macabre

As D-dennis suggested, contacting local players would be also good move. They have most likely thousands of extra common/uncommon cards that are needed in most decks to be given out free or with very cheap price for new player.

For basics of deck building, Vampire the Eternal Stuggle Players Guide is good book to get. Lots of information about deck building, different deck types and sample decks for different clans and diciplines. About 30$ if ordered from Amazon.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2013 14:40 by Trochomancy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, vtesstudent

More
20 Oct 2013 15:34 #55496 by Molloy
You can probably make one or two or three playable (or better than playable) decks from that box of Jyhad cards. For example, a deck type known as 'Malk 94', which often uses Govern the Unaligned, Conditioning (or Threats or Bonding), Deflection, Lost in Crowds, Elder Impersonation, and Spying Mission -- this kind of deck can still win games, 19 years after Jyhad was released.

Jyhad is also one of the few sources for Parity Shift, the best political action card, and has lots of other good cards. So, in my opinion, a box of Jyhad boosters was not a bad purchase. One thing to look out for, though, is that Jyhad cards tend to have outdated text, and some of the cards have even gotten errata-ed.

:hosk: :ani: :chi: :for: :nec: :AUS: :cap6: Sabbat. Animals, Wraiths and Zombies Molloy recruits or employs get an additional life.

More
20 Oct 2013 18:03 - 20 Oct 2013 18:03 #55503 by vtesstudent
Thank you for the comments! I find my interests are with Ventrue :vent: , and possibly Tremere :trem: right now, so I'm wondering if I could build a good deck them.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2013 18:03 by vtesstudent.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds