file struggling to find a GW after many years

05 Aug 2019 02:31 #96141 by Alex O
Currently having a major slump in my regular games, ousted first in the last 8 games played. Looking for advice in deckbuilding. I'm not having any fun playing and halfway towards selling the whole lot. We have a heavy combat meta, with weenie potence, Gargolyes, ANI. First losing desk: 0 game wins, 0 VP in 5 last attempts. Akunanse Rush/bleed:

Deck Name: Wings of Death
Author: Alex Orzulak
Description: Laibon bleed/rush toolbox

Crypt (12 cards; Capacity min=3 max=8 avg=6.)
==================
1x Amavi 8 pre pro ABO ANI FOR Akunanse:4
1x Jubal 6 for pot ABO ANI Akunanse:4
3x Kikiyaon, The 5 abo ani FOR Akunanse:4
4x Uchenna 7 ABO ANI FOR Akunanse:4
2x Aisata Swanou 7 abo ANI FOR VIC Akunanse:5
1x Dolie 3 abo ani Akunanse:4

Library: 88 cards

Master (15 cards)
==================
1x Fame
1x Ancestor Spirit
2x Abombwe
2x Mbare Market, Harare
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Powerbase: Luanda
1x Tension in the Ranks
3x Vessel
1x Wash
1x Blood Doll
1x Channel 10

Action (8 cards)
==================
2x No Secrets From the Magaji
6x Deep Song

Action Modifier (5 cards)
==================
4x Freak Drive
1x Strange Day

Action Modifier/Reaction (1 cards)
==================
1x Akunanse Kholo

Combat (38 cards)
==================
4x Hidden Strength
2x High Ground
5x Pack Alpha
1x Roll
5x Rolling with the Punches
6x Taste of Vitae
2x Terror Frenzy
3x Bestial Vengeance
5x Carrion Crows
2x Circle
3x Devil-Channel: Hands

Retainer (6 cards)
==================
3x Murder of Crows
3x Raven Spy

Equipment (1 cards)
==================
1x Reliquary: Akunanse Remains

Reaction (14 cards)
==================
5x On the Qui Vive
3x Predator's Communion
4x Taking the Skin: Vulture
2x Cats' Guidance
amaranth.vtes.co.nz/#deck/3ed45f39-f9d0-453a-910d-549126d6595c

:salu: :OBE: :FOR: :AUS: :THA: :PRE: :obf:
Agitate Responsibly, but Influence Unduly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2019 08:00 #96144 by BlueSadDoll
It depends what's your priorities. If you don't mind changing the gears a little bit from try maybe too hard to play a combat oriented deck into something more intercept/passive-aggresive combat-ish, Akunanse are well equiped to rule the combat heavy meta. Aisata group5 is a cool vampire, but it group3 you have Matata and Sanjo. In your crypt you don't have many vampires with disciplines for what you are trying to do with Fame, Tensions, maybe Pack Alphas, Murder of Crows and all that. What's great about Akunanse is its effectiveness. Carrion Crows + Invoking the Beast + Fortitude prevents + Taste of Vitae are pain in the ass of combat decks. Also, if your focus is to block, then you don't mind S:CE from an opposing minion that much. Cat's Guidane, Sense the Savage Way and Predator's Commune is a decent amount intercept + wake effects. If block is the focus, you don't need Murder of Crows that much and can add few more Ravens. In case you feel their intercept is not enough, you can always add Keep it Simple which has a good synergy with such with 2-3 intercepts. With the versatility of Sense the Savage Way and Predator's Commune you don't need to tap yourself with Deep Song bleeds or even occasionally bully someone. Since you would block more, you can Army of Rats and possibly Smiling Jack. With the upcoming errata of Pentex Subversion it won't be needed in such a deck anymore. Also, not sure what's the deal with Kikiyaon but Amavi and Jubal deserve the slots for multiples more than him.

More
05 Aug 2019 08:45 #96145 by Ankha
Hi,

You said you scored 0 VP so the question is: how were you ousted? Maybe start working on that point to get a better defense. I don't see a lot of pool gain, a strange combat module crippled by 5 cards dedicated to getting a Raven Spy or a Murder of Crow, some High Grounds when you could play some Aid from Bats...

Let's see in details what may get wrong:

Deck Name: Wings of Death

So I suppose you are very keen on playing Flight. So you play 3 Kikiyaon and 2 High Ground, 1 Roll, and 2 Circle. Those cards are not worth the slots and the effort you'll make to be able to play them (I have seen the Taking the Skin: Vulture). It's too cornercase, and you won't be able to make it work regularily enough.

My advice would be to have a more regular combat module and remove them entirely or focus a lot more on them (even though I think it's pretty weak). But if you really want to play Flight, play a crypt where a majority have flight (Gargoyle in other words).

Crypt (12 cards; Capacity min=3 max=8 avg=6.)
==================
1x Amavi 8 pre pro ABO ANI FOR Akunanse:4
1x Jubal 6 for pot ABO ANI Akunanse:4
3x Kikiyaon, The 5 abo ani FOR Akunanse:4
4x Uchenna 7 ABO ANI FOR Akunanse:4
2x Aisata Swanou 7 abo ANI FOR VIC Akunanse:5
1x Dolie 3 abo ani Akunanse:4

I won't comment the crypt, it's a interesting thing but I would first focus on the library, and then adjust the crypt accordingly.

You have a very toolbox master module.

Master (15 cards)
==================
1x Fame => If you plan to oust with combat, 1 Fame is not enough.
1x Ancestor Spirit => good for the +1 bleed
2x Abombwe => Abombwe combat cards are good enough at inferior (superior usually only grant a press). I'd drop those, and improve the crypt if you really want to play Abombwe superior. See also Reliquary: Akunanse Remains that gives you a level of Abombwe
2x Mbare Market, Harare => expensive, and not really worth it compared to a Powerbase: Montreal you can defend.
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Powerbase: Luanda
1x Tension in the Ranks => not the best oust card (hurts players other than your prey), it''s interesting if you meet a lot of Nocturn, otherwise a Fame or Dragonbound is better.
3x Vessel
1x Wash => what for? There's no real master card you fear, and odds that you have one in hand at the right time are pretty weak
1x Blood Doll
1x Channel 10 => I'm not sure it's worth the cost in your deck.

Your pool gain is very weak. I'd rather play bigger, stronger vampires, and Villein to get pool back.Mapatano Utando is a good Akunanse cards.

2x No Secrets From the Magaji
6x Deep Song => if you plan to rush, 6 are not enough. And considering how ridiculously good Deep Song is when you need to cycle it, I would add 2 more without hesitation.

Action Modifier (5 cards)
==================
4x Freak Drive
1x Strange Day

Ok. Strange Day can be useful for a few but important actions (No Secrets especially)

Action Modifier/Reaction (1 cards)
==================
1x Akunanse Kholo

If you plan to counter vote decks with this, I'd rather put a few Delaying Tactics instead. But it depends on how you usually get ousted.

Your combat module doesn't look good. You must focus on either
- aggravated damage and prevent
- Carrion Crows and long range (and less prevent)
You sure can mix a little, but your module is too diluted.

Combat (38 cards)
==================
4x Hidden Strength => what for? You have superior Fortitude, and pressing is not your main concern. I'd rather play some Soak, or if there's a lot of agg damage in your environment, more Rolling with the Punches or Superior Mettle.
2x High Ground => I'd drop the flight part. Those cards look like you're trying to save your ass in combat, but Fortitude is better for that.
5x Pack Alpha => not a good idea, not in those proportions at least. See how a Concealed Weapon / .44 Magnum works, and how it cycles cards to make it work. You can't do the same.
1x Roll => drop it
5x Rolling with the Punches
6x Taste of Vitae
2x Terror Frenzy => why not, but in a deck with Aid from Bats / Carrion Crows. The superior isn't that useful for you (for instance, you can negate a Blur with a single Rolling with the Punches), if you want to get rid of equipment, play Canine Horde.
3x Bestial Vengeance => weak card. Put more Carrion Crows for the same effect. Stacking 4R environmental damage is not that useful.
5x Carrion Crows
2x Circle => drop. If you want to press, play Aid from Bats. Otherwise, it means you should be playing agg damage, and presses are not useful.
3x Devil-Channel: Hands

Retainer (6 cards)
==================
3x Murder of Crows
3x Raven Spy

If you get ousted because you don't have enough intercept, you should play more Raven Spy. If you get ousted because you get bested in combat, Murder of Crows won't help. So remove the Murder of Crows, and put the defense you need.

Equipment (1 cards)
==================
1x Reliquary: Akunanse Remains

Good card. Careful with its cost though.

Reaction (14 cards)
==================
5x On the Qui Vive
3x Predator's Communion
4x Taking the Skin: Vulture => nice for the maneuver, but you can't play it twice with the same minion between two turns, which can be annoying. I'd rather play only 2, and play more Cat's Guidance.
2x Cats' Guidance

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex O, BlueSadDoll

More
05 Aug 2019 09:12 - 05 Aug 2019 09:25 #96147 by Bloodartist
In terms of crypt, you might want to run Matata instead of Aisata as he is pretty much superior to what you have in your crypt atm.

I am agreeing with above posters in that pack alpha and murder of crows are not good enough for their cost. I'd rather replace them with animalism combat, more deep songs or wake/intercept cards. Besides, I personally think its much more feasible to simply recruit the spies the normal way, and then freak drive up considering you have access to fortitude. The only deck I have ran pack alpha in was Demdemeh, which heavily revolves around retainers.

Also, the combination of high ground with hidden strength (and the seeming focus on ranged combat) is bit strange. With hidden strength you have to prevent damage in order to be able to use it and press, but if your opponent is at long range, they probably won't be able to strike and then hidden strength is unusable. I'd instead recommend using better and simpler prevent with some other form of press. My current favorite prevent card is armor of vitality, which prevents 3 damage from anything(including aggro and crows) with only inferior fortitude and blood cost of 1.(also destroys sticks at superior). Depending on your meta and whether you need aggro prevent, you could also just use soak. The combat seems to be bit all over the place. You should probably experiment with a more focused combat, until you find what best works for you.

If you are afraid of the other combat decks, I guarantee you have better chance against them with carrion crows + good prevent than high ground + murder of crows. If your opponents are potence decks, simply aggro poke with devil-channel hands is going to go a long way, since potence decks tend to be light on prevent. You have to consider why NOT just use the standard animalism combat of carrion crows + bunch of aid from bats?

Mbare market is too costly for its effect imo. I'd look for different ways to bloat. Just taking blood from minions with villeins/vessels and then filling them with taste of vitae or rack/hunting ground would be an idea. Admittedly Akunanse hunting ground is possibly the worst hg ever printed, but you could use rack.

In terms of intercept you definitely need a bunch of sense the savage ways. Especially if you would run Matata. It is by far the best animalism wake/intercept card, but ofc needs a bigger vampire.

The deck also has a distinct lack of ousting mechanism. This is most likely the main reason why you aren't scoring VP's. There should be something more than just one fame and one tension in here, and I know first hand that its hard to make combat decks oust effectively. I recommend at the very least a couple of army of rats. Keep in mind that fame will at best oust one person before it is removed from the game along with that person..

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 09:25 by Bloodartist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex O, BlueSadDoll

More
05 Aug 2019 13:48 #96158 by Mewcat
The combat module lacks destruction (5 crows) yet packs 6 taste to go along with fortitude (that obviates the need for taste).

You are very action light (14 actions 2 of which untap you and 6 that can become combat cards with pack alpha) to be playing freak drive.

Honestly if people are playing a lot of combat you can just play fortitude/dominate and get easy wins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex O

More
05 Aug 2019 13:49 #96159 by Mewcat

It depends what's your priorities. If you don't mind changing the gears a little bit from try maybe too hard to play a combat oriented deck into something more intercept/passive-aggresive combat-ish, Akunanse are well equiped to rule the combat heavy meta. Aisata group5 is a cool vampire, but it group3 you have Matata and Sanjo. In your crypt you don't have many vampires with disciplines for what you are trying to do with Fame, Tensions, maybe Pack Alphas, Murder of Crows and all that. What's great about Akunanse is its effectiveness. Carrion Crows + Invoking the Beast + Fortitude prevents + Taste of Vitae are pain in the ass of combat decks. Also, if your focus is to block, then you don't mind S:CE from an opposing minion that much. Cat's Guidane, Sense the Savage Way and Predator's Commune is a decent amount intercept + wake effects. If block is the focus, you don't need Murder of Crows that much and can add few more Ravens. In case you feel their intercept is not enough, you can always add Keep it Simple which has a good synergy with such with 2-3 intercepts. With the versatility of Sense the Savage Way and Predator's Commune you don't need to tap yourself with Deep Song bleeds or even occasionally bully someone. Since you would block more, you can Army of Rats and possibly Smiling Jack. With the upcoming errata of Pentex Subversion it won't be needed in such a deck anymore. Also, not sure what's the deal with Kikiyaon but Amavi and Jubal deserve the slots for multiples more than him.

Brutal wall of text

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds