file Day 1 EC Final Table Turn by Turn Coverage

13 Nov 2011 15:55 #14094 by Malex
Hi everybody. Most of you may not recognize me - it's because this is my first post here on vekn.net

I've been playing the game for a year (roughly) and I'm currently at the EC playing the game we all know and love. But I'm not only playing vtes, as a matter of fact I also like writing, so yesterday when the players sat down to play the final of Day 1 I sat down by their side and started writing a turn by turn report on the whole game. The result you have below.

This is the first time I'm writing a coverage article like this, so please come with constructive criticism on how I can improve my reports. Also, please tell me if there's something that you think that I'm missing or something that you'd want me to focus more on in my writing.

I guess that's enough of an introduction. Over to the report. Enjoy!

The top standings after three rounds of EC day 1 was the following:

1. Erol Hammer – Stanislava & Big Cap Gangrel/!Gangrel
2. Csaba Greguss – Neo Ventrue Law Firm featuring Mary Anne Blaire
3. Enrico De Stefano – Laidon Ravnos Breed & Boon
4. Isak Esbjörnsson Bjarmark – Girls will find…
5. Balazs Sebestven – Weenie Auspex w. Anarch Revolts

Judge: Pascall Bertrand

As Isak and Balazs were low seed they the placed hunting each other, and then the others got to seat themselves, one by one. Enrico placed himself to bleed on Isak, but Csaba placed himself in between the two of them. If this was because he wanted to bleed on Isak or because he wanted to be bled by Enrico was unclear. One can hope the first, as Erol placed himself to be bled by Enrico.

Each player rolled a die and it was decided that Isak was to play first.

So: Isak → Balazs → Enrico → Erol → Csaba

Erol, Csaba and Isak had some small talk during shuffling, giving the impression to yours truly that they knew each other from before. Balazs and Enrico were rather quite, however, more tension showing in their body language.

Turn 1

Isak starts with a Zillah’s Valley (‘it’s a freak drive’) and then plays Anthelios. Balazs plays an Anarch Revolt and transfers 2. Enrico puts a cap 3 Ravnos minion into play. Erol plays Lilith’s Blessing and transfers 4. Csaba transfers 2 to two separate minions.

Turn 2

Isak plays another Zillahs Valley and then transfers up Cybele. Balazs plays Smiling Jack and then places two transfers on a 4 cap malkavian and moves it to the ready region, then places more transfers but is corrected by Pascall (judge). Enrico 3 cap Ravnos becomes Laibon (he asked Balazs for permission and is allowed) and then transfers up two 2-cap vampires. Erol and Csaba transfers and discards. The turn is over. Please note that already from turn 2 and forward each player were taking damage from Anarch Revolt.

Turn 3

Isak plays Jake Washington and Ashur Tablets and is asked by Erol to remove Anarch Revolt but Isak responds with ‘it’s better if you do it yourself, then he must play Eagles Sight to block’. He then has Cybele go anarch – Balazs tries to block but Isak plays 1+2 stealth (which trumps Balazs 1+2 intercept as it’s a +1 stealth action to start with).
Balazs takes 1 damage from Anarch Revolt and moves 1 blood from his pool to Smiling Jack. He then has his vampire recruit Carlton van Wyk and transfers up a 2-cap vampire into play (inferior auspex) and plays anarch convert on his cap-4 vampire already in play superior auspex malkavian. If he hadn’t misplayed with his transfers last turn he’d been able to convert his malkavian into a anarach then already, and so he wouldn’t have lost one pool in his turn.
Enrico has his vampires go Laibon and then tries to get an Embrace but is blocked, he then bleeds, but Balazs blocks with wake and eagles Sight, forcing a sigh from Enrico but an appreciative gesture and a ‘thanks’ from Erol.
Erol takes damage for Smiling Jack and Anarch Revolt and then transfers, not getting a minion out. Csaba plays Dreams of the Sphinx and puts Mary Anne Blaire into play, he uses dreams to put one blood on a vampire in his uncontrolled region.

Turn 4

Isak plays Golconda on Mary Anne but Csaba pays 2 pool to keep her in play. Isak then plays Liquidation. A discussion arise on if anyone can remove Smiling Jack, but Balazs firmly states ‘next turn’, and he even shakes hands with Erol that it’s okey for Cybele to remove Smiling the next turn.
Balazs plays society of Leopold on Cybele, then bleeds for 1 and Enrico declines to block, taking 1 pool damage. He also gets an Ivory Bow for his superior auspex vampire. Enrico starts his turn and a discussion starts with Erol on how the table is progressing, he’s obviously not content with his situation and his seating and lets his frustration show. He doesn’t manage to strike a deal with anyone, however, so he just transfers 4 and brings out Lazar Dobrescu.
Erol takes pool damage from Smiling Jack and Anarch Revolt (3 total) and then transfers up Stanislava and places to blood on another uncontrolled vampire, leaving him on only 6 pool. Before doing so he makes sure that Cybele will be allowed to remove the Smiling Jack, however.
Csaba starts his turn and ponders what to do with Mary Anne. He expresses a will to vote Parity Shift: He says he wants to take 5 from Isak and give 2 to Erol and 3 to himself. Erol wants 2 pool for himself and 2 pool for Enrico (in order to balance up the table, supposedly). Csaba then deals with Enrico to take 3 from himself and give 2 to Enrico, this deals is, however, based on the condition that Enrico has Eldest are Call Kholo in hand and is willing to play it. There’s a lot of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’, but it’s quite apparent to the table that Enrico has the card in hand and is willing to play it.
Finally, when the discussion is settled, Csaba plays Parity Shift (no DI) and plays Force of Personalty – if it’s because he wants to ensure that he’s not blocked or just because he just wants to cycle the card, only he knows. Enrico plays Eldest Are Kholo to help Mary Anne with 3 votes. Erol votes nay, resulting in 3+3-4=2 votes in favour, resulting in a Voter Captivation for the (which goes to his pool). He then transfers out Mustafa the Heir.

Turn 5

Isak plays a second Zillah’s Valley (he played the first one on turn 1) and goes down to 4 pool. This move draws a gasp from the rest of the table (and the audience) – bold move! Cybele takes the action to remove Smiling Jack (which is not blocked, due to previous agreement) and then transfers out Akysinya (pulling 1 back from one minion in his uncontrolled region and transferring 2 out to Akysinya, leaving him at 3 pool).
Balazs bleeds for 1 and goes Anarch with a vampire, passing the turn with one vampire up and Carlton up for blocks.
Enrico asks Balazs if he’s allowed to do anything, and Balazs answers ‘bleed’. Enrico looks dismayed but then bleeds twice (but is blocked both times) and uses Lazar Dobrescus special ability to drag 1 blood from a minion in Erols uncontrolled region to his pool.
Erol plays Villein for 11 on Stanislava and then uses Lilith’s Blessing (goes up to 16 pool). Enrico doesn’t react notably to this, but I wouldn’t have liked it if I were him… Stanislava then takes the action to remove Anarch Revolt and succeeds (no Eagles Sight from Balazs). A pretty good turn for Erol.
Csaba starts his turn but doesn’t do anything, he instead starts talking with the table: ‘Erol, I have a slight chance of ousting my prey. If I do, how will you handle Balazs?’ Erols answer ‘Well, then Balazs is my new best friend…’ So Csaba opted to play superior Govern the Unaligned, pay 1 to see 1, and end his turn.

Turn 6

Cybele takes 1 damage to Society of Leopold, Isak then burns Jake to give Cybele 4 blood, plays Villein on Akysinya for 7, and plays his third Ashur Tablets. He’s now up to 13 pool, slightly more than the 3 last turn – making it slightly harder for Csaba to oust him… Cybele then takes an action to move Society of Leopold to one of Enricos 2-cap vampires with one blood. ‘Better move it to a vampire that will never be able to send it to someone else’, says Erol. Akysinya stays untapped as Isak passes his turn.
Balazs bleeds for 1 and then bleeds for 1 again (no blocks), then ends his turn.
Enrico pays for Society of Leopold and then hunts and goes Laibon with one of his oher vampires. He then passes the turn, remarking that he’s stuck and can’t really do anything at the moment due to his predator (he asked for permission by Balazs to do any undirected actions but wasn’t allowed).
Erol plays Backways and then tries Govern the Unaligned on superior, but is blocked by a Second Tradition: Domain from Mary Anne. They hit each other for 1 and then Erol transfers up Ingrid Rossler.
Csaba starts his turn by discussion the possibility of a Parity Shift and Erol agrees to not vote it down if he gets 3 of the 5 pool stolen from Isak. Parity Shift is played and Isak loses 5 and Erol gains 3 pool and Csaba gains 2 pool. He plays no Voter Captivation. He brings out Graham Gottesman and discards Govern the Unaligned, earning a remark about not being interested in bleeding from Isak.

Turn 7

Isak makes a deal with Erol that if he plays Golconda on Cybele then Erol and he will work together to take out Csaba. He brings Golconda back with Anthelios and plays it on Cybele, then transfers 4 to a minion in his uncontrolled region and passes the turn, leaving Akysinya up for blocks.
Balazs bleeds for 1 with 3 minions and then passes the turn.
Enrico burns 1 blood from Society of Leopold and then hunts (allowed). He then speaks to Balazs and it’s agreed that he should be allowed to create one embrace and that the embrace will be allowed to hunt. Enrico offers to hug Balazs as a token of gratitude. He passes his turn after performing his actions.
Erol Villeins Ingrid for all her blood and then uses Lilith’s Blessing. He then discards a On the Qui Vive and passes the turn. That there Villein + Lilith’s Blessing is a pretty efficient bloating machine, indeed…
There’s now 57 minutes left of the game and Isak remarks that all players will need to hurry up a bit.
Csaba starts his turn by dealing with Enrico: Enrico wants Balazs to die but Csaba wants Isak to die first – they can’t reach an agreement on who to kill first. They don’t reach an agreement so Csaba just uses Mary Annes special and then transfers up Graham Gottesman. He then passes the turn.

Turn 8

Isak plays Parthenon, stating that it’s ‘a cheap Cybele’ and then brings out Lutz von Hohenzollern, then passes the turn.
Balazs bleeds for 1 with 3 minions. Ends the turn.
Enrico has 1 minion turn Laibon, and then creates an Embrace which is allowed to hunt (much to his, and the tables, surprise). He then tries for a Consanguinous Boon but is blocked by Carlton van Wyk (Balazs minion). He plays another boon but is blocked by a waking minion. He now has three minions in torpor. He says he wants to transfer out but is met by objections from his co-contestors – he states that he wants someone, anyone, to promise to give him pool but no one gives a promise so he self ousts, frustrated that he’s been sitting in the shit from turn one and that no one’s been willing to help him. As a spectactor I guess he was hoping to outsmart Balazs with his many actions, and thus being able to pass a Consanguinous boon and live, but as he didn’t manage than and then didn’t get a promise from anyone so he self ousted in disgust.
Enrico is ousted and Balazs earns the first vp of the game and gains 6 pool.
Isak, Erol and Csaba seems to be a bit stunned. Erol starts his turn. Isak asks him: ‘what’s the long term plan now?’ and Csaba answers ‘it’s more of a short term plan from now on…’
Isak starts to discuss with Csaba if Csaba can deal cross-table vote damage to Balasz, and then Erol says that he wants to play Banishment on one of Csabas vampires. This makes Csaba backpaddle and to starts to deal with Balazs instead: ‘I want to get my vp and also you can get your vp’ he says, and Balazs nods and a quite agreement is settle that Csaba won’t help oust Balazs right now and Balazs won’t fuck up Csaba’s game. Granted, it wasn’t really a -quiet- agreement, but neither did they shake hands on it…
Erol continues his turn: He plays no banishment, instead he bleeds with Ingrid Rossler with Govern the Unaligned, but Graham Gottesman (Csabas third minion brought up last turn) Deflects to Balazs. Balazs wakes and blocks with his vampire that has Ivory Bow but Erol plays Form of Mist (combat ends, but he did not pay one blood to continue the action as if unblocked). Erol ends his turn.
Csaba plays no master and then uses Mary Annes special. Graham Gottesman hunts. Turn ends.

Turn 9

Isak trades a Liquidation for a Villein with Anthelios, then uses Parthenon to play Villein on Lutz for 6. He asks Balazs if he’s allowed to play a Banishment, and he’s allowed. Lutz plays Banishments and banishes Mary Anne. Isak then ends his turn.
Balazs plays Pentex Subversion on Stanislava (with two blood), drawing out a comment from Erol: ‘Great, now I don’t have to hunt if I Deflect twice!’. The crowd laughs, and Balazs then continues his turn by bleeding for 1 with two minions. Both bleeds are deflected to Csaba, who takes a total of 2 pool damage.
Erol untaps and plays Giants Blood on Stanislava (drawing a ‘ooooh’ from the crowd), then passes the turn.
Csaba untaps and withdraws two blood from an uncontrolled vampire (opting not to replay Mary Anne). He then passes the turn.

Turn 10

Isak thanks Erol for talking him into Golconding Cybele, he then progresses by playing a Liquidation and exchanging Misdirection for a Pentex in his ash heap, threatening to play it next turn. He takes no actions and passes the turn.
Balazs plays Powerbase Montreal and then bleeds for 1 twice and Erol takes the pool damage, going down to 8.
Erol untaps and plays Villein for 7 on Stanislava (earning 6 pool as he’s played Villein on her once before), stays untapped and brings Hartmut Stover into play.
Csaba asks to be allowed to fetch Powerbase Montreal from Balazs and is allowed. He takes no actions apart from fetching the Powerbase, then brings out Mary Anne again.

Turn 11

Isak plays Villein for another 4 on Lutz (pays 1 to the blood bank), continues by playing Pentex Subversion on Balazs minion than has the Ivory Bow and brings out a new Cybele. Notable is that this Pentex does not stop Balazs minion from acting or blocking as it’s contested with the Pentex put on Stanislava in the previous turn, so the intention of the Pentex was rather to have Balazs pay contest and to let Stanislava put some pressure on his predator.
Balazs starts his turn. He hunts with one vampire and fetches the Powerbase with another, bleeds with none. Passes the turn. Remarkable is the fact that Balazs ha been the sole owner of the Edge for almost ten turns by now, but the rest of the players have been to busy doing nothing extraordinary (and minding their pool), so he’s had the opportunity to get a lot of free pool gain…
Erol Villeins Hartmut for 10 and does he Lilith’s Blessing trick. He’s now at 21 pool. He asks Balazs if he’s allowed to play a Heart of Nizchetu but gets nay for an answer, so he doesn’t opt to try and get it. He passes the turn and curses as he forgot to gain 1 pool from the Ecoterrorist he played last turn.
10 minutes left.
Csaba uses Mary Annes special and passes the turn.

Turn 12

Isak Villeins his newly played Cybele for 6 and then bleeds with her. He’s blocked and opts to strike a hand strike, but Balazs has his minion dodge the strike, earning a small laugh from some of the spectactors.
Balazs plays Anarch Revolt, bleeds with a two minions and passes the turn. Remark that Anarch Revolt will once again do pool damage to each player except Balazs, as the Cybele who turned anarch later opted to seek out Golconda. This new Cybele is staying with the independents, totally nonchalant of her previous anarchistic alignments.
Erol takes 1 damage from Anarch Revolt and goes down to 18. Ingrid Rossler Govern the Unaligned bleeds Csaba who deflects it to Balazs (he doesn’t want Akysinya to send it back to him, and Balazs also gets the opportunity to torporize Ingrid). Balazs wakes and attempt to block with his minion with Ivory Bow. Erol asks ‘will you send me to torpor if I let you block me?’ and gets yes for an answer. ‘okey, then I’ll make this into a Daring the Dawn bleed for 3…’ He does, and Ingrid goes to torpor. He gains 1 pool for Ecoterrorist and then passes the turn.
Csaba fetches the Powerbase and does Mary Annes special. Then passes the turn.

Turn 13

5 minutes left.
Isak plays Blind Spot for Lutz on Balazs Ivory Bow minion, then bleeds with Cybele. Carlton blocks and Cybele does the Majesty trick. Lutz plays Reigns of Power and one of Balazs minions attempts to block, but Lutz plays Into Thin Air and it goes unblocked. All the votes are in favour and Balazs loses 5+1 pool (everybody else chose cap 10 or cap 11 vampires, and thus doesn’t lose any pool), putting Balazs on 4. Isak bleeds with Akysinya but is blocked by one of Balazs minions (not the one with the Ivory Bow). ‘damn’ Isak curses. As to whether this was theatrical or sincere was a bit hard to discern.
Balazs bleeds for 1 with his minion with Ivory Bow and is not blocked. He passes the turn.
Erol starts his last turn and bleeds for 1, and then bleed for 1 again, apparently no plus-bleed cards in hand. He even Daring The Dawned his second bleed for 1 apparantly just to dig for bleed modifiers, but to no avail. He ends his turn.
Csaba starts his turn and attempts to bleed Isak with Govern the Unaligned as Akysinya is tapped but the Govern got cancelled by Dark Influences played by Erol. No more Governs for Csaba this turn. He instead bleeds for 1 and enhanced it with superior Conditioning once Isak declined block. Isak then played Lost in Translation with Cybele, redirecting the bleed to Balazs. Csaba begs Balazs to send it back to Isak but Balazs says no and attempts to block with one of his vampires. Csaba then plays Daring the Dawn in order to force Balazs to send it back (if it doesn’t block or redirect it he’s ousted), but Balazs then attempts to block with Carlton, and succeeds. Csaba now attempts a Kine Resources Contested, but it’s voted down even though he uses perfect paragon for vote push.

The clock rings and time is up. The two hours are over and Balazs Sebestven is the winner of day 1 of the European Championships!

Congratulations Balazs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forhead, Brum, Adonai, extrala, Joscha, Ankha, PetriWessman, Izaak, Drain, karrberg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2011 15:17 #14114 by Izaak
Great report! I could really follow the game just by reading it even though I didn't see one second of it. Great writing and a job well done.

Looking forward to your view of Day 2 :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds