file Battle for Atlanta 2012 - League Updates

15 Jan 2012 15:23 #20896 by Adonai
Nine players gathered to start the league on Saturday, January 14, 2012.

We chose decks by random distribution, as cards pulled forth by the oldest non-playing attendee.

Then, each player choose 4 boosters to supplement their deck, and 1 card from the promo pile.

Then, each player was allowed to swap out cards, 1 crypt card for 1 crypt card, or 1 library card for 1 library card, from the group of extra cards available.

After this, two games were played. One was a five player game, the other a four player game.

The following decks took victory points:

Gargoyle/Tremere 1
Akunanse 1
Ravnos 3
Ventrue 4

The Ravnos and Ventrue won their tables, so they will need to assign a vampire from their collection to a municipality.

The municipalities are listed here:
www.thelasombra.com/battle-for-atlanta-2012-map.htm

After the games ended, the players that gained victory points opened 1 new booster and added that to their collection.

The players that won games added a 2nd new booster to their collection and had to make their first cull to get back down to the collection maximum numbers.

30 Crypt cards, max
120 Library cards, max

There are decks and boosters for more people to join the league going forward.

If you want to review the entire league rules / status, you can do that here:

www.thelasombra.com/battle-for-atlanta-2012.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2012 01:42 #21411 by Adonai
Three league games were played today, with Matt & Jerry joining the league.

New game wins went to the:

Akunanse
Ventrue Antitribu (Salubri Antitribu starter with all SA removed)
Malkavian Antitribu

The Ventrue deck took VPs in both games it played, and the Gargoyle/Tremere deck took a victory point in one of its games as well.

Municipalities needing to be assigned:

Neighbor John (needs a location)
Roswell (needs a vampire)
Ravnos (needs to assign a vampire and a location from the first week)

There are still decks and boosters available for new players to join!

More
29 Jan 2012 02:56 #21945 by Adonai
Four more games were played in this league, with victories going to:

Malkavian Antitribu and Friends (Black Hand base)
Kiasyd and Lasombra (Heirs to the Blood base)
Ventrue (Keepers of Tradition base - waiting for assignment)
Akunanse

More
30 Jan 2012 01:12 #22042 by Haze
Rather than reporting on individual league games, I thought it'd be more interesting to write up about the deckbuilding itself. Similar to the deck-mashup project, new players can get a feel for how an experienced player constructs their deck with a limited card pool -- in this case with one starter, a few boosters, and some promos (and/or giveaways). Other league players might read this and find out the contents of my deck, but they've probably already seen it, so eh. There's a limited card pool so it's not like they can easily metagame around it.

---

Before the league started I looked through the starters and decided I wanted LOTN Ravnos as my first pick. I was worried someone else would take it before me, but nobody else was interested in it so I got it. I think it's a very strong toolbox deck with stealth, bleed, permanent intercept, combat... it can do it all! and the Week of Nightmares is perfect for wrapping up a game, or at least scoring an oust. Getting 0.5 VPs in the league has no reward, so there's no reason at all to survive until a timeout. Most importantly, I had never played a standard Ravnos toolbox before, so this would be something new and fun to play with for half a year.

For those curious, my backup picks were either Akunanse or Toreador Antitribu . the Akunanse is another good toolbox, if slightly weaker, but I had already built a lot of similar Akunanse decks so I'd probably get bored playing it. the Tori-Anti deck seems weak by itself, but I think it has a lot of potential when improved by boosters. It even comes with a Palla Grande, and it's not too hard to find more in 3rd Edition.

(I almost considered the Gangrel Antitribu for a challenge, to play as the weak underdog. Maybe next time.)

---

Deck building time. The weaknesses of the Ravnos starter I wanted to fix was the low amount of pool gain, and very few wakes to support the raven spies. The boosters that would help me most are Lords of the Night, 3rd Edition, and Kindred Most Wanted, so I focused on those (also got one Gehenna pack, which was kind of a gamble since the set mostly sucks). I can't remember every single card I got, just the ones that interested me. Also the crypt selection was weird, with everyone trying to dial-a-crypt, so I won't go too much into that as it has nothing to do with normal constructed play. Though I did put a Hazimel in my crypt, which may be important later.

ACTION MODIFIERS: I added in a False Resonance and another Zapaderin, and also one more Leverage. I took out the Forced March since nobody in my crypt could play it anymore.

MASTERS: one of the rares was Kumpania. permanent ravnos intercept, very lucky! also got a King's Rising, which is risky poolgain. it's great in the late game, but I ended up drawing it in my opening hand every game, doh. most of the masters in the starter are already very useful, but Ravnos Carnival can be taken out. I don't have that many action cards to begin with so it's not very useful, but I might add it back in if I find some Tumnimos or Procurers. I also added 2 Blood Dolls from the promo freebies. 13 Masters + 2 Trifles is a pretty nice number.

REACTIONS: This needs the most work, but I did find what I needed. I opened a Fillip, Forced Vigilance, and Sense the Savage Way, and then I traded with a player for one more copy of Savage Way. My first promo freebie was a Wake. Hopefully now I can use those Raven Spies effectively. Pseudo-Blindness just had to be cut out, the opportunity cost is terrible. Why couldn't the starter have included Draba instead?

COMBAT: Don't need 2 copies of Mayaparisatya! though I kept 1 as a nice surprise card (a lot of :for: decks were chosen). nobody knows what Fata Amria does, therefore I HAVE to use it. I got a few more various :for: prevention cards that I added in, but probably too many. Undying Tenacity was added but is relatively weak so it should be dropped. At this point I'm noticing I'm using :for: far more than :ani: so I make sure to adjust my crypt towards those disciplines.

ACTIONS AND EQUIPMENT: the 3rd Edition packs gave me Revelations and a Lunatic Eruption. Hazimel has :AUS: :dem:, and quite a few other Ravnos have :DEM:, so I put both in. High opportunity cost, but they can be very powerful surprises if I get to play them! I also got a Sport Bike and Assault Rifle. I need to play a few more games to decide if I should really include those or not, but they're nice options for later.

now the library is about 84 cards. a bit chunky and it has no card-cyclers. a focused deck like Setites would be ideal at 60-70 cards, but since this is a toolbox the goal is somewhere between 70-80. next game I'll try to filter some more of the combat out. and maybe I don't really need that Talith...

More
04 Feb 2012 23:46 #22351 by Adonai
Three more league games were played today, with victories recorded for:

Akunanse
Tremere/Gargoyle (Heirs to the Blood)
Malkavian Antitribu (Third Edition, with friends)

We did have a completely new player join us this week, and he started with the Malkavian starter from Keepers of Tradition, with a lot of the vampires swapped out for younger compatible ones.

Amavi is the first vampire to claim a 3 municipality area, and has become a Magaji for the duration of the league.

Aksinya Daclau is right on her heals, with 2 wins, likely to become an Archbishop sometime in the next few weeks.

More
12 Feb 2012 04:02 #22848 by Adonai
Three more league games were played today, after multiple late arrivals.
Victories were recorded for:

Tremere/Gargoyles (Heirs to the Blood)
Malkavian Antitribu (Third Edition, with friends)
Kiasyd and Lasombra (Heirs to the Blood base)

Aksinya Daclau is the second vampire to achieve a new 2 vote title, as she has consolidated her Archbishop title this week with a third win.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds