file Gamex 2012, Los Angeles, Day 2 Tournament Reports

01 Jun 2012 02:58 #31548 by Robert Scythe
I know for certain that John had no idea what Fred was playing and that he may not have known what I was playing either, not that that would've mattered since he could take me. He knew he could smash through Aaron and Garret. When Fred discarded a Barrenness is when he realized just how much trouble he was in. Barrenness screwed me as well since I could neither Founders or use Ugadja's ability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2012 03:22 #31549 by Jeff Kuta
Fair enough. But that's just one more reason to play Social Charm instead of Enchant Kindred. ;)

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal

More
01 Jun 2012 05:27 #31552 by Izaak
I'm still sorta confused how Unnamed Barrenness actually wins.

I built it (card for card from the post here earlier), played it a few times and even with a turn 2 Cog/Homunculus and no predator I still can't for the life of me actually oust more than 1 guy before before timeout.

Under perfect circumstances, you get to bleed for 2, twice per round. And that's after you get the Cog which admittedly comes up pretty fast usually, but certainly not always before turn 4-5. You have no lunge capability, no surprises and bleeds get bounced usually as well.

Meanwhile you're fiddling with the Barrenness tech which is a lot of fun, but it takes ages for it to actually start hurting and then, when it kicks in, doesn't really help you win. It's certainly convenient to Psalm/Psycho past the usual 10/11-cap suspects and be immune to banishment and whatnot, but it's not like you don't have alternatives between protean and obfuscate.

Do people at the other side of the pond just transfer themselves lower in general? Or do you just need good tables and a ton of luck?

More
01 Jun 2012 14:18 #31575 by Wedge
Enkil Cog bleed on your preys turn tap ~all Hordes. Lets call it 7 bleed a round. Barrenness minions that can bounce, contest enkil cog, Govern(etc...) down.

More
01 Jun 2012 14:20 #31576 by Dorrinal

Fair enough. But that's just one more reason to play Social Charm instead of Enchant Kindred. ;)

Maybe, but wouldn't I have rushed the unnamed anyway? I think the table dynamics and deck stall (at the worst possible moment!) hurt me more than anything.

:trem:

More
01 Jun 2012 14:35 #31577 by Jeff Kuta

Maybe, but wouldn't I have rushed the unnamed anyway? I think the table dynamics and deck stall (at the worst possible moment!) hurt me more than anything.

Yes, you would have backrushed anyway, but instead of dealing with incredible shrinking minions who can't Enchant at PRE to younger vampires any more, you'd be still bleeding for 2 and gaining pool.

Since you didn't know what Fred was playing, you did what you had to do. But the remaining crater (and your deck stall) helped your grand-predator. That's V:TES. :)

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds