file Hunger Moon: Atlanta (mini report)

05 Sep 2011 16:45 - 05 Sep 2011 17:35 #9614 by Adonai
Oscar Garza won this (2R + F) tournament with a Harbingers of Skulls / Unre + Pulse + Erebus Mask deck.

www.vekn.net/index.php/event-calendar/event/6379

Congratulations to Oscar!
Last edit: 05 Sep 2011 17:35 by Adonai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2011 21:18 #9674 by Dorrinal
Congratulations to Oscar! As a fan of the :hosk: I am very excited to see the full deck list. :)

:trem:

More
06 Sep 2011 21:32 #9676 by Adonai
I don't know if Oscar will be posting it or not.

Drop him a line to encourage him to share...

Google Plus
plus.google.com/107785990815348590235/posts

or

Facebook
www.facebook.com/oscar.garza

More
08 Sep 2011 20:58 #9777 by Haze
For this tournament, I took the Atom Weaver Deck Bashing Challenge...

If you've got the stones to play it For Real in a sanctioned event, so much the better, let us know how you do.

Will do!

I had a bunch of 3rd Edition starters lying around and decided to build this !Tremere one as it had a nice toolbox mix of combat, defense, and offense. playing Malk bleed wouldn't prove much, the Brujah decks had no grapples, and the Tzimisce deck used cards with way too high blood costs. I almost never play Tremere, but the starter had just about everything they needed. I swapped out the 2 Walk of Flames for Weather Controls.

apologies to Charlotte By Night for stealing the game report diagrams idea.

Round 1

Brought out Paul Cordwood first, and equipped him with a helicopter right from the start. with his stealth/intercept special, he can get the most use out of it. then I influenced Frondator for a total of 2 bishops. those 2 votes became pretty important as big titled vampires popped up everywhere on the table; early on it was enough of a tiebreaker to help David A's Ventrue pass their votes.

I was kind of handjammed on Threats and Bondings early on, with not as much combat as I would've liked. I tried to cycle them quickly with bleeds, but Jeff's !Nossies weren't blocky enough to stop Cordwood so he took a lot of pool damage. David T's Toreador was a lot more worried about the bleed machine behind him, so he didn't block my tooling up. even with Arika behind him, he decided it was still worth it to pay 1 pool per turn for Papillon. So my position was looking pretty good.

A nasty Kiss of Ra sent Anson to torpor. I had the Graverobbing in hand. I was hoping Francois would try to rescue, so I could block and tap him out. Instead, David villeined Anson empty and did nothing. I attempted the graverob with Cordwood, Francois used a valuable Telepathic Misdirection to block it! Alejandro successfully diablerized instead, survived the bloodhunt, and got a shiny Dominate skill card as a reward.

Eventually, Anneke and Kendrick appeared, and the table balance shifted as they took votelock. Jeff kept banishing my vampires to try to slow me down, but I had enough pool to buy them back. both the Nossies and Ventrue were low on pool, and I wasn't sure which would go first. I played Golconda on the empty Arika, which angered Jeff. He sent all his KRCs backwards to oust me, since it looked like I would get him on my next turn. David A ousted the Ventrue later, and the table timed out.

It was pretty close, but no vps. But hey, this deck made from some starters was threatening enough to be back-ousted! moral victory!

Round 2

Got Frondator and Paul Cordwood again, and then took quite a lot of pool damage from the stealth bleeders. This time, I was jammed on combat cards but not enough intercept or bounce. I attempted every block I could, hoping to eventually run Sim out of stealth. I drew a rush and used it on Uncle George, playing every combat card I could and sending him to torpor. Now I had a bunch of Governs. I started bleeding just to cycle them as fast as I could. Nobody wanted to block me after seeing that combat I was in.

I had one more turn's worth of pool. The good news was that I drew into 3 Redirections. The bad news is, Sim had the Anarch Troublemaker and could tap me out if I stayed untapped. I went back to desperately cycling bleed cards to hope to draw an On the Qui Vive. No luck. David A ousted Oscar's Harbingers, and it was Jerry's Toreadors' turn. He tried to play a Lextalionis on David, vote failed. He also tried a KRC that would've ousted Sim, but that vote also failed. Then he bled with celerity-stealth. Then he realized if he had bled first, he would have the edge, and Tyler McGill's special would give him 2 votes for it, enough to pass one of those votes! Oh well. Ousting the Malkavians would've given me at least one more turn, and the Ventrue were rather low on pool after influencing Lucinde out, so I had a decent chance at a VP.

The game became a heads-up between the Ventrue and Malks. Sim played a Gambit Accepted to good effect. He later tried to play Momentum's Edge, but it wasn't allowed because he gave up his VP to the Gambit. He didn't need it anyway, since he had more than enough vampires to keep bleeding and take the game win.

Conclusion
Not a bad Mashup deck. I'd say it was fairly competitive for its price. If a newbie wanted to buy and construct this deck, I would recommend acquiring some cheap hand-cycling cards like Admonitions or Barrens. and adding more Wakes would never hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: extrala

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds