file Investments: worth the investment?

03 Oct 2011 19:41 #11416 by Juggernaut1981
Me thinks Aaron knows too much of the ways of the Financial Origami Wizard...

"First you take four crappy loans, fold them together with special finance wizard folds and then presto you have one REALLY GOOD Loan right???"

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2011 20:19 #11418 by AaronC

Me thinks Aaron knows too much of the ways of the Financial Origami Wizard...

"First you take four crappy loans, fold them together with special finance wizard folds and then presto you have one REALLY GOOD Loan right???"

No, I just listen to a lot of NPR* :)

Financial Origami Wizard.
Unique mage ally.
3 pool.
1 life, 0 strength, 1 bleed. The Financial Origami Wizard may dodge once per combat as a strike. As a +1 stealth action, the Financial Origami Wizard may place one collateralized instrument counter on himself. He may not take this action if the number of collateralized instrument counters he has is equal to or greater than the number of locations in play. Each Methusaleh burns X pool during his or her untap phase, where X is the number of collateralized instrument counters. A Methusaleh may avoid this damage once per turn by burning a location he or she controls.
"flavor quote forthcoming"

*National Public Radio, kind of like BBC programming, for those of you not from the U.S.

More
04 Oct 2011 01:45 #11434 by KevinM
Investment-card issues could be made somewhat moot by just rewording all "Investment" to "Investment, trifle". They'd at least be *playable* then, because they'd gain you an instant pool.

It's small changes like this that can *easily* be made, *easily* explained, and other than actual card text, have *zero* downside.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
04 Oct 2011 02:29 #11438 by Dorrinal
Making them trifles brings the pool-per-MPA up to 1, on par with Ascendance. It's a step in the right direction but I still wouldn't call them playable at that point.

:trem:

More
04 Oct 2011 03:36 #11439 by KevinM

Making them trifles brings the pool-per-MPA up to 1, on par with Ascendance. It's a step in the right direction but I still wouldn't call them playable at that point.

The 'pool-per-MPA' might be 1, but the card-slot-per-pool would be 3-6, not 1 as Ascendance, so they'd be totally playable (not "good", but playable).

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
04 Oct 2011 12:57 - 04 Oct 2011 13:03 #11481 by LunaSlave
I love investment cards myself. I realize they're not the most *competitive* thing but they're very flavorful and fun, especially with Alan Sovereign and Wall Street Night. Anything that could be done to make them better while not overpowering them I'd be in favor of.

How about this:

Hedge Fund
Unique Master. Investment.
Whenever another Methuselah gains the Edge, put a counter on this card. You may burn X counters from this card to move X counters from an investment card you control to your pool as a master phase action.

This works for me both in terms of game mechanics and in terms of flavor - it boosts up the power of other investment cards while actually working somewhat on its own, although a little more slowly.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2011 13:03 by LunaSlave.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds