file Card idea: Fiery Heart (pro+for grants blood to pay cards)

24 Jul 2012 22:53 - 24 Jul 2012 22:55 #33785 by AaronC
Just because a card isn't absolutely necessary isn't a reason to kill it. If it could be useful in some kinds of decks, then there is no reason not to consider it. If the kind of decks it would help are considered "terrible", then that's an even better reason to consider it.

I don't think that this card was proposed as a means to address the Gangrel's supposed lack of offense, either.

I see this card as addressing the considerable blood use of Protean-heavy decks that rely on aggro-poke or Protean stealth. The classic Protean aggro-poke cards (Claws of the Dead, Wolf Claws, Bone Spur) would be a lot better if they didn't cost a blood. It's an unreliable combat option and spending blood on aggro-poke just grinds you down while maybe or maybe not grinding down your opponent. Not spending blood on Earth Control and Animalism retainers would also be very helpful. This card makes the very expensive Protean cards such as Body of Sun, Body Flare, Shadow of the Wolf, and Mythic Form possible options.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 22:55 by AaronC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 03:36 #33791 by TorranceCircle

A mix between Masochism and Restoration. Since no blood is gain, it can't be abused with Villein.

Thoughts? Comments?

It makes me think of a mix between Fatuus Mastery and Cooler. I am not sure if it could not be abused by villein or minion tap. It creates a sort of fake blood to play cards as if you had blood. If I minion tap a vampire I usually leave enough blood to play some cards. For example, I might MT a 10-cap down to 4 blood usually with a plan to blood back up somehow. This card would make it easier to tap for 9 (or even ten) knowing I have enough fake blood to pay for stealth or combat.

Overall, I think the idea is interesting. I have at least two decks I can think of that I would try it in right now.

More
25 Jul 2012 03:49 #33792 by jAvel
what if..?

Name: Fiery Heart
Cardtype: Action / Combat
Discipline: Protean & Fortitude
[PRO][FOR] Only usable before range is determined. For the reminder of this round, this vampire may gain a blood from a blood bank for each blood he burned this round. No more than 4 blood may be gained this way each combat.

How about implementing this kind of mechanic? This way it can be used to play "burn blood to .." combat cards, such as Form of Mist and Lightning Reflexes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porphyrion

More
25 Jul 2012 04:08 #33793 by Ohlmann

I see this card as addressing the considerable blood use of Protean-heavy decks that rely on aggro-poke or Protean stealth. The classic Protean aggro-poke cards (Claws of the Dead, Wolf Claws, Bone Spur) would be a lot better if they didn't cost a blood.

I believe this is more wishful thinking than anything else (for the original card), simply because the combat mechanic won't like having this moving part in addition to all the other existing moving part.

The modified card add an inner essence-like function, which may still be unused but is more likely to be.

This card makes the very expensive Protean cards such as Body of Sun, Body Flare, Shadow of the Wolf, and Mythic Form possible options.

People play Sensory deprivation not because they can afford it blood-wise. They play it because nothing match the raw power of a sensory deprivation. All the card you're talking about are not worth their buck anyway. If they were, you would see them about as often as decapitate, which is actually played from time to time.

In short, protean combat card are not that good anyway, except for Flesh of Marble and Claw of the Dead.

More
25 Jul 2012 04:55 #33795 by Ankha
Thanks for all the feedback.
The fact that it requires protean (and fortitude) doesn't mean you'll pay only protean cards. The best example may be Stanislava of course who may spend lots of blood on bleed cards. No, I had more in mind to pay action and action modifier cards rather than combat (though it's still usefull to pay a Skin of Steel with the counters): Dual Form, Raven Spy, Raptor, Horrific Countenance (!), Freak Drive of course, even Shambling (with Talbot)... are cards that may benefit from it.
Many times I've thought that I could play Restoration in blood-intensive decks but the blood gain is so weak they don't make the cut in the end. Making it a better blood gain can be tricky (because of Villein), therefore this kind of card.
Making it playable as a combat card is an option to help combat decks.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds