How about this idea?

Name: Wulfgar
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Gangrel
Level: Basic
Group: 5
Capacity: 10
Discipline: PRO FOR AUS ANI pot pre

Independent: 2 votes (titled). During your untap phase, Wulfgar may attach a retainer (normal costs must be paid). This is not considered an action and cannot be blocked.

Art notes: Wulfgar roams the lands of Scandinavia wearing an animal pelt and carrying a walking stick. Excitement fills the villages of Iceland when this bearded figure approaches.

World of Darkness reference: Road of Kings p.96

How does this card address a compelling game need?: This card explores the vampires who chose to "walk" the roads of the Cainites in Vampire: Dark Ages.

Created by: Andy Fernandez
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 19:19 by TorranceCircle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 19:27 #60653 by TorranceCircle
Independent: 1 vote (titled). Wulfgar may take a +1 stealth action to ghoul a mortal ally. Allies ghouled by Wulfgar are considered non-mortal and may play protean cards as a vampire with basic protean.

I thought this would be an interesting special. Something similar to the card "Ghouled" but giving protean.

Independent: 1 vote (titled). Once per turn, Wulfgar can burn a blood to move a protean card he played during that turn from your ash heap to your hand.

Here is a protean special I thought about.

More
05 Apr 2014 16:48 #60663 by ReverendRevolver
I love gangrel. But they suck. Thata why i chimed in about adding them to the indy set. Also why im a fan of this aort of suggestions thing.

Just last night, i was thinking about doing another g2 gangrel deck, mostly because of domine. Ingrids thier best prince. Iliana is one of the coolest 7 caps there are for any clan, on size and disciplines alone.

But, Gangrel lack ousting power and bleed defence, always have. Thier other weakness is "remedied" by dog pack and lots of potence splashed.

Coherency would be GREAT in later gangrel. Dementation on one guy, an anti, and a malk having DEM with 2 gangrel in clans is hardly inspiring.

Dominate in the superior with all gangrel inclans and MAYBE little celerity would be neat.

Most gangrel that are almost good need either a bleex discipline, dominate, or +strength.

So, this vampire is hard to give those to. Hes not violent, no dominate, and is the umpteenth big vanp with little aus.

So, maybe assume hes been asleep awhile, and wakes up easy? Gangrel torpor olympics buolds could use a special where if they enter torpor they gain a blood or untap if you burn a pool. Enables stuff, i suppose.

More
11 Apr 2014 06:30 - 11 Apr 2014 06:35 #60872 by jamesatzephyr

I thought with superior auspex he would mix well with Randall. You could indeed have ravens and eagle sights. If he is a ten cap, then maybe superior is not out of the question as Ben mentioned. Murder of Crows for free might be nice too.

I mildly like the AUS version at 8 cap - it pairs quite well with Randall .

At 10 cap - even with the variety of specials you've suggested - it feels a bit too big when it doesn't have an awesome special like Anneke. Or at least some sort of potent blocky special. I'm still mildly concerned about any 'no action' retainers, simply because that means you have to have lots in your deck to get a reasonable flow of them, while apparently accounting for a reasonable chunk of the 10 cap's notional design points.

So dispensing with canon concerns about precise generations etc., I might go for something like:
Some Guy
Gangrel, 8 cap, group 5
ANI AUS PRO for pot
+1 intercept. If Some Guy successfully employs a ghoul or mortal retainer, untap him at the end of the turn.

The free untap provides flavour without being especially powerful. And that compares well with Anatole or Paul Cordwood . Possibly a bit good compared to Nadima . And I think it's providing a more interesting building block for a deck.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2014 06:35 by jamesatzephyr.

More
11 Apr 2014 09:34 #60877 by Juggernaut1981
Wulfgar
Gangrel
10 cap
AUS ANI FOR POT PRO pre
When Wulfgar employs a mortal or ghoul retainer he untaps. He may burn 1 blood when a mortal ally you control enters combat to give that ally +1 strength for the combat and a press to continue each round.

- Savage warriors
- Makes ghouls instead of progeny

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
11 Apr 2014 21:25 #60895 by jamesatzephyr

Wulfgar
Gangrel
10 cap
AUS ANI FOR POT PRO pre
When Wulfgar employs a mortal or ghoul retainer he untaps. He may burn 1 blood when a mortal ally you control enters combat to give that ally +1 strength for the combat and a press to continue each round.

For a 10 cap, that seems pretty weak. Mortal allies playable by a Gangrel deck:

Arcanum Investigator - no-one uses it ever.
Caiaphas Smith - would probably rather go to range, making the strength a bit pointless. The press might be useful, kinda.
Carlton - tends to stay more away from close-range punching, in favour of dodging or doing damage from range, and typically doesn't stick around very much.
Gypsies - expensive though not entirely unplayable. But close range combat is horrible for them, since they have a mere one life, and second round isn't going to be fun as a result!
Neighbourhood Watch Commander - ditto, only one life.
Vagabond Mystic - not really one to go into combat with.
Wendell Delburton - probably the best use for him. He has options at range, but he also has his melee weapon thing and a werewolf-like regen.
Young Bloods - would you just prefer the action to succeed? But hitting for three in a block combat wouldn't be entirely terrible.

But really, the vast majority of the time this is only doing much for Wendell or Young Bloods, and neither of those are super duper must play awesome, even with his special.

So then you have a big vampire without a special, without any of the trappings of the best big vampires - titles, +bleed, +strength, +something-else. You do get a potentially nice line in bringing out, say, J.S. Simmons and Tasha for free. From the ghoul side, Robert Carter is decent but tricky, and Ghoul Retainer is usually not very Gangrel friendly - Protean claws and weapons don't mix too freely, though I guess you might be doing something screwy with Wendell too, not sure what. But basically all the good retainers he affects are unique, so you don't really want lots of them in the deck. And yes, getting +2 bleed from Tasha and JS is nice and all, but other huge vampires get that sort of thing for free - except in the Gangrel, who are pretty lacking in the inherent +bleed stakes, except their two 11 caps.

So it feels a lot like a big vampire who's basically got a bunch of disciplines, but no real clincher that makes you think "Yes, he's the right vampire for..."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds