file [Submission] Delusion of Might

26 Aug 2015 11:48 - 26 Aug 2015 11:51 #72768 by Serazahr
Delusion of Might
:combat: Combat
Only usable before range is determined.
:dem: This round, the opposing minion cannot use maneuvers to maneuver to long range and cannot use presses to end combat. A vampire may only play one Delusion of Might each combat.
:DEM: As above, and strikes that are not hand strikes may not be used by the opposing minion.

How does this card address a compelling game need?:
Malkavians and !Malkavians tend to entirely lack a combat module. Except for Deny and Coma, virtually no Dementation card sees combat. Malkavians aren't supposed to be turned into massive combat machines, but rather, fitting for their signature discipline, they should have an interesting combination of combat utility cards.

Now for the comparison with Drawing out the Beast:
While they seems similar at first, they differ on both levels in important ways. On inferior Drawing out the Beast (DotB) is arguably a bit stronger as it disables equipment use. Delusion of Might (DoM) on the other hand is has the versatility of being usable on both vampires and allies. Not giving the opponent +1 strength is for lore reasons as it only makes him believe that he is stronger. DoM also only lasts for one round, while DotB lasts for the entire combat.
Now on superior is where the main difference lies. DotB deals one unpreventable damage to the enemy. DoM on superior disallows the opponent from using strikes that are not handstrikes, this is better than inferior Immortal Grapple on paper; however this is a discipline that itself and its associated disciplines have no combat ability to directly capitalise on it.
This card would help Malk/!Malk gun-walls, Psychic Assault-decks, or other fun concepts where a bit of protection and S:CE prevention goes a long way.

World of Darkness reference:
Dementation can be used to give enemies various derangements. Delusions are one type of derangement. This card reflects the situation of an opponent becoming delusive concerning his own strength and this overconfidence in his physical abilities will make him seek hand to hand combat to show his strength. It's temporary nature, lasting only one round, reflects the lower levels of dementation where derangements are not permanent.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 11:51 by Serazahr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2015 14:45 #72770 by jamesatzephyr

Delusion of Might
Combat
Only usable before range is determined.
This round, the opposing minion cannot use maneuvers to maneuver to long range and cannot use presses to end combat. A vampire may only play one Delusion of Might each combat.
As above, and strikes that are not hand strikes may not be used by the opposing minion.
Now on superior is where the main difference lies. DotB deals one unpreventable damage to the enemy. DoM on superior disallows the opponent from using strikes that are not handstrikes, this is better than inferior Immortal Grapple on paper; however this is a discipline that itself and its associated disciplines have no combat ability to directly capitalise on it.
This card would help Malk/!Malk gun-walls, Psychic Assault-decks, or other fun concepts where a bit of protection and S:CE prevention goes a long way.

Thing is, in reality, its associated disciplines are whatever disciplines vampires with dem/DEM have. Restricting an analysis only to Obf/Aus/Dem misses the point that vampires in the game have other disciplines, and there are clusters with combat worthy disciplines - there's a lot of DEM/cel+, a smattering of DEM/pro+ (Bela+Lord Fianna might be an interesting combo to build around) etc.

But just consider Aus/Obf/Dem. I disguise out a Rowan Ring - I probably have other weapons too, but I can have a few Rowan Rings in the deck. You can't go to range, unless you have a range setter. You can't dodge, unless the dodge is also a hand strike (Stutter-Step). You can't S:CE. Rowan Ring does no damage so you can't prevent the damage. You could do something with first strike, perhaps, but that's relatively rare and hard to access, or you could destroy the equipment somehow to make it unusable later, but that's also relatively rare.

If I have a gun, I can go to range - perhaps with a gun to make it easy - and you essentially can't meaningfully strike (you could play some sort of hand strike to cycle), so you're stuck relying on things like Carrion Crows, or maybe Ghoul Retainer. Now I can hit you with an Assault Rifle for 5, possibly with some extra damage from an Ammo card, and there's not a whole lot you can do. Disguised Weapon helps me get a decent gun. Denying all strikes except hand strikes (and ranged strikes aren't hand strikes) makes my life really quite pleasant.

More
27 Aug 2015 04:37 #72779 by direwolf
Contrary to popular belief, center aligned text is harder to read than left aligned.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
27 Aug 2015 05:41 #72782 by Ankha

Contrary to popular belief, center aligned text is harder to read than left aligned.

it depends on the length of the lines...

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
29 Aug 2015 01:44 #72793 by direwolf

it depends on the length of the lines...

Nope.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds