file Submission: To the East

11 Feb 2019 14:24 - 11 Feb 2019 14:31 #93415 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: The Whispers

What this card is named vs what this card actually does are completely opposite IMO.

Well my first thought of a name would be the "The Call", but that card name already exists. The name is replaceable IMHO and shouldn't dictate the effect.

I think everyone gets the effect that I'm going for... it is a one turn, table wide, crypt acceleration, that enables decks that use star vampires.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2019 14:31 by jblacey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 15:02 #93418 by LivesByProxy

The name is replaceable IMHO and shouldn't dictate the effect.

I get what you mean about the name being replaceable, but I think the name should dictate the effect. The number of possible cards in any card-game like VTES or Magic or ANR is limited by the language (languages) being used, and the theme / flavor of the game. And the name, along with the art, is the first impression a player gets. When these elements don't align (with each other or the card effect), players (or me, at least) get this weird disconnect that keeps them from being immersed in the setting and game.

(As an aside, Magic has reached this point where they have exhausted the number of meaningful word-pair combinations that can be card-names. So they've adopted this format of "noun-verb noun-noun" like "Warcalling Bull Minotaur" or just making up words like "Snigsnag Grigrog" or somesuch.)

For the purposes of your card, maybe the name: The Beckoning (generic synonym of "The Call"; or To The East (to draw upon V5 inspiration).

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
11 Feb 2019 15:24 #93419 by jblacey

To The East (to draw upon V5 inspiration).[/b]

I think that is reasonable. I'll update the title.

More
13 Feb 2019 19:23 - 13 Feb 2019 19:24 #93461 by Nac
Replied by Nac on topic Submission: The Whispers
As far as I remember, Beckoning was V5 name for "I have to go to middle east to stop Sabbat people from eating my elders". I second that it would be an amazing card for cross-promotion when some suplement goes deep into Gehenna Cruzade (I'm not sure if that's the official name for it)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 19:24 by Nac. Reason: Misspelling on an important word

More
13 Feb 2019 21:22 #93463 by jblacey

As far as I remember, Beckoning was V5 name for "I have to go to middle east to stop Sabbat people from eating my elders". I second that it would be an amazing card for cross-promotion when some suplement goes deep into Gehenna Cruzade (I'm not sure if that's the official name for it)

So, I would love the name to match the official term. I believe the Beckoning was also the name for an Animalism level 2 power. Do we know the official name?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds