file The Future is Now [anarch/brujah tech]

08 Jul 2020 21:15 #100294 by self biased
Name: The Future is Now.
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 2
Discipline: none
Clan: none
Text: Only usable if the opposing minion is not ready at the end of combat. Title.
If this vampire is Anarch and the opposing minion is a Prince, Archbishop, or Baron, attach The Future is now to to this vampire. The Future is Now gives this Anarch the title of Baron of 'X' where X is the location of the opposing minion. If this Vampire is also Brujah, they get +1 Bleed.

Flavor text: "The Future is now, old man." -Dewey Wilkerson

Art notes: an incapacitated vampire laying on the ground and a vampire standing over them. shocked onlookers are in the background.

World of Darkness reference: seems like a brujah or anarch thing to do.

How does this card address a compelling game need?: Gives a reward to combat that can actually help them oust.

Created by: J. Christopher Malec

This is a rough sketch of an idea, probably fraught with unforeseen cornercase interactions that I didn't think about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2020 16:08 #100324 by kschaefer
You could use "city title" just in case we introduce a new sect with city titles. That's a requirement that's already used on a card.

Two blood seems too much. You're in a contest for the title immediately. You expect to win that, but there's a chance the contest will go on.

The +1 bleed for Brujah is cool, but how would that work with New Carthage? Vampires with a base bleed of 3, with admittedly a lot of set up, seems strong. Would be good to playtest that aspect.

I do think it's a cool idea, however.

More
09 Jul 2020 18:27 #100326 by Kilrauko

This is a rough sketch of an idea, probably fraught with unforeseen cornercase interactions that I didn't think about.

I'm in favor of contesting titles, unique equipments, properties, cities, overall going for the inherit struggle on vampire politics. So much in fact that I feel the cost could be less to encourage people to use and include the card even on not-so combat heavy decks.

However, I would prefer to see this card give the title *after* possible blood hunt referendum instead before it. Granting it right away gives a swing of 4 votes on amaranth eat ensuring success in the earliest stages of the game unless there are multiple large titles in the table. Later the established barons can ensure the blood hunt going their way. If there is restriction where title is gained *after* blood hunt referendum (if any) it also means necessity to either bleed first to get the burning edge vote away, or deal-making that is always a good thing for the social aspect of the game.

Simply modifying the sentence; "If this vampire is Anarch and the opposing minion is a Prince, Archbishop, or Baron, attach The Future is now to to this vampire. "

into "If this vampire is Anarch and the opposing minion is a Prince, Archbishop, or Baron, attach The Future is now after action has resolved to to this vampire. "

In addition, as the "title" or "The Future is Now" is gained via combat, I could see Regent - like (D) rush steal mechanic on it for other anarchs to try their luck. But it might also crowd the card text too much and require some sentences to be cut off/shortened. Or perhaps the fact the card can be used against Barons as well is enough to ensure inclusion to anarch combat decks.

For the +1 bleed for Brujah's... My gut is saying no, because they have access to PRE, but at the same time I cannot really give better reasons as I'm not aware enough of the current anarch power level and whether or not this is needed.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
22 Jul 2020 20:46 #100416 by self biased

However, I would prefer to see this card give the title *after* possible blood hunt referendum instead before it.

maybe make it an action modifier instead and include text to play it after a blood hunt (if any)? how would you describe that timing window? "at the end of an action where there was a combat, after blood hunts?"

More
23 Jul 2020 04:59 #100419 by Kilrauko

However, I would prefer to see this card give the title *after* possible blood hunt referendum instead before it.

maybe make it an action modifier instead and include text to play it after a blood hunt (if any)? how would you describe that timing window? "at the end of an action where there was a combat, after blood hunts?"

There's no need to pre-nerf it to be just action modifier as that prevents intercept based usage. As the blood hunt referendum is handled independently of the action itself, always before action resolution the earlier mentioned "after action has resolved" window (the same as Freak Drive for action modifiers or Ministry delayed lock for unsuccesful block in reactions) is adequate enough. No need to create a separate step or define it more, after all it's just a delay to ensure the card and the votes are not on the vampire during the action being resolved.

The Future is Now can be played (and cancelled via cards that cancel combat cards as usual, but as the effects of any portion of the cards can be delayed via 1.4 it's no trouble to have combat card grant something after action resolution. Being a combat card that is played at the end of combat also enables one to Taste of Vitae to either enable the vampire to play the card or to get back to (near) full after payment and encourage it's usage.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds