file Debate about the 1st time V:tES was without production

09 Nov 2011 18:26 #13936 by Joscha

How did you managed to keep interest in the game, personally?

We liked the game very much so just played on in our playgroup. As we didn't visit tournaments often in that times nothing really changed. We met as usual. VTES had so many ways to explore that we had enough to play and build. And the old decks didn't bore as anyway.

How did people organized the game during those times?

We met in our playgroup as before. At that time I did not know of other players outside Frankfurt. Some met at Game cons or game fairs.

How did prices go right after the cancellation and how did they evolve?

I was satisfied with my card stock so I wasn't interested in prices. Some bought many displays for very few money (Jyhaddisplays for 5 Deutsche Mark).

How did you get new players, if any?

We had a regularly playgroup which played also other games. So we showed some guys the game and they liked it. That was unprofessional and without any support. But it worked despite that disadvantages. The game itself is simply great.

What is different between those Dark Ages and now?

Probably there are more time consuming actions for people like online games or social networks than it was during the last "Dark Days".

Baron of Frankfurt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2011 19:31 - 10 Nov 2011 08:02 #13941 by Izaak

How did you managed to keep interest in the game, personally?

I just played it. We also played V:TM at the time and various other nerdy games, so it was just one of our activities.

How did people organized the game during those times?

We just played with our group of friends.

How did prices go right after the cancellation and how did they evolve?

No idea. We bought up a huge stockpile of Jyhad/VTES/DS and AH from out local gaming store when the game went out of print and only started buying cards again with CE.

How did you get new players, if any?

We didn't.

What is different between those Dark Ages and now?

The Dark Ages were the 90's and the 90's was the era of CCGs. Every bookstore had a CCG for sale and new ones were released literally every month. Nowadays it's just Magic and Magic isn't really that mainstream anymore. When board- fantasy and other tabletop games were mainstream, advertising a CCG was fairly easy as public was easy to access. Now that most entertainment has moved online and online games have become the standard, CCGs are once again underground, much like P&P RPGs have always been.

Also, during the Dark Ages the game was small and simple. We could literally give a deck to someone who "kinda-knew" Magic, tell him the basics and play a game. It also had a direct tie-in with the RPG.

Today, V:TES is complicated and HUGE, has hundreds of rulings and clarifications not all of which are very intuitive. It's pretty much impossible to get into it unless you already have a strong CCG background.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2011 08:02 by Izaak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

More
09 Nov 2011 20:05 #13942 by Jesper

No idea. We bought up a huge stockpile of Jyhad/VTES/DS and FN from out local gaming store when the game went out of print and only started buying cards again with CE.

I really hope you ment AH. FN was one of the first WW expansions ;o)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds