file Player reputation

09 Nov 2011 09:07 #13871 by Lemminkäinen
Most of us probably play most of our games with a certain circle of players. I mean, there can be changes and visitors, but most of the games are between people who know each other and have played the game together before.

In other words, the game has history which has rather big implications. Essentially, you know what to expect with some people whether it is that Bob always plays Assamites, Ginger plays very good, tournament-style decks, Pavel is a beginner so his decks are a tad lacking or that Harry loves combat.

Aside from this kind of prior deck knowledge, it's also possible to have other sorts of reputation. Rick is completely untrustworthy and breaks his deals the first chance or that Lars always adheres to the letter of his deals. Or maybe that Laura always responds to threats with aggression (even cross-table) or that Sam avenges perceived wrong-doings even when it might be a less than optimal gameplay.

Now, carrying actual grudges from match to match is certainly bad form (though threatening with such might be acceptable as long as one doesn't act on it ;)), but certainly the reputation of a player influences what others do on the table. Or does it? Should it?

What sort of reputation do you (or others in your playgroup) have? Or wish you had? Do you build a reputation on purpose?

So yeah, any thoughts on the matter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2011 09:24 #13873 by Mephistopheles
I am a totally harmless player. You never have to worry about me. I just sit there and I'll be never a threat. Should I achieve something than it was given to me by others or I had immense luck. ;)

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com

More
09 Nov 2011 12:36 #13893 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Re: Player reputation

I am a totally harmless player. You never have to worry about me. I just sit there and I'll be never a threat. Should I achieve something than it was given to me by others or I had immense luck. ;)

+1

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
09 Nov 2011 12:43 - 09 Nov 2011 12:44 #13895 by Lemminkäinen
Replied by Lemminkäinen on topic Re: Player reputation

Aye, that is usually the correct strategy for one-off games (as in tournaments), but unless you're hyper devious so as to cultivate a huge number of losses in casual games in order to surprise everyone who knows you by playing extremely well in a tournament game, it's a bit off to the side on what I was trying to discuss (not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you).

In other words, keeping a low, harmless reputation in casual games is pretty impossible for competent players, so what sort of reputation do you have and what do you strive towards? And do you see more value in some reputations than in others?

Or do you perhaps wholly disagree with my premise?
Last edit: 09 Nov 2011 12:44 by Lemminkäinen.

More
10 Nov 2011 05:52 #13956 by brandonsantacruz
I think that the best reputation to have is to be affable and a good player. Back that up with social skills and you have someone like Ruben Feldman.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
10 Nov 2011 13:00 #13962 by Lemminkäinen
Replied by Lemminkäinen on topic Re: Player reputation

I think that the best reputation to have is to be affable and a good player. Back that up with social skills and you have someone like Ruben Feldman.

Aye, being fun to play against is naturally the best reputation, but I was kinda coming from a different angle in that you can be fun to play against but still be famous for quirky decks or never betraying a deal or whatever.

Maybe I'm not conveying my meaning well (English isn't my first language so apologies on that front) or else I think of the other players differently than anyone else.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds