file Player reputation

10 Nov 2011 13:22 #13963 by Shadowhunter
Replied by Shadowhunter on topic Re: Player reputation
I've got a tendency towards toolbox decks and are almost completely unable to ever discard a master card unless it's a Unique one already in play.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 16:58 #13971 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Player reputation

What sort of reputation do you (or others in your playgroup) have? Or wish you had? Do you build a reputation on purpose?

Mainly I like to be seen as trustworthy and helpful. And everybody in my playgroup knows that I get extremely unpleasant (in the game, not in real life) if I get backstabbed with a broken deal/promise. So I rather often try to play decks, which can revenge a treason.

Playing style per game depends on the deck I play. With a strong offence look weak, with a bad defence appear strong and confident (that doesn't work always, some of my friends just know me too good).
Best thing I think is keeping the others guessing what cards you have or what plans you hatch. Never be predictable. Or on the other hand seem to be predictable if it suits your goal.

See, it isn't that easy to give an answer. It always depends on the actual table and the game state.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
10 Nov 2011 17:13 #13974 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Player reputation
I've only some small experience with European players, but I've literally met TWO non-European players that give a damn about what happened last game, even if it was some earth-shattering double-counter-bluff. Both of those players are, in my opinion, extremely average players.

I think that people who attempt to use another player's perceived personality against them are in for a shock and complete befuddlement when they lose at JUST the wrong time, because they were relying on whatever they were relying on.

Players should really play the game and not the player, most of the time. If you think VTES is poker, you're making the game A LOT harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
10 Nov 2011 17:28 #13976 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Player reputation

Players should really play the game and not the player, most of the time. If you think VTES is poker, you're making the game A LOT harder on yourself than it needs to be.

IMHO if you factor in the personality of other players you can manipulate them and the game better. Likewise it is good to veil your motives and let the others guess. Playing the different player types correctly is one of the best part of the game. So yes, being pissed of some ingame action of a fellow player is an absolutely unacceptable behaviour. But also yes, playing one's good or bad habits to your advantage is also good play. (Although I don't know if I got you right, Kevin).

Baron of Frankfurt

More
10 Nov 2011 18:33 #13999 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Re: Player reputation
There is an unwritten rule in our playgroup that reads:

In any game..
1. The first Methuselah that must be ousted is Ginés (that's me).
2. The second Methuselah that must be ousted is David (my brother), if he is playing a deck with either Dragos or Howler. :)

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: vragozakas

More
10 Nov 2011 18:39 #14000 by Juggernaut1981
Sometimes knowing the play style is very helpful. There are a couple of players around Sydney who are known to have some distinct triggers.

One player I do know has basically turned "Path of the Salmon" on me when I blocked 2 or 3 undirected actions of his (I was his predator) but it was to my advantage since I could get my cross-table to start working on my Predator. He can be baited into his "Path of the Salmon" if you have the right deck.

Another one of our players is the ultimate conservative turtle. His playstyle is too heavily influenced by the risk-minimisation boardgames he plays and he most often loses games because he's seen a deck do a trick once and is sure it will do it again or he is waiting for the 'ideal' hand rather than playing "less than the full combo" to see if he will draw the rest.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds