file Deckmaster and Hasbro question

02 Dec 2011 17:50 #16843 by Nac
I have a question: which are the licenced aspects of the game belonging to Hasbro? Tap and untap only?

I know changing mechanics is quite complex for a game, but I have read here that low profit was the reason behind CCP's choice of stoping production. So, would be ever possible to ged rid of hasbro's slice of the pie?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2011 18:39 #16850 by Brum
Here is a link to the Patent .

It is an interesting read.
On the right tab you can download the .PDF with the Patent Application.
Having worked in the European Patent Office in the Hague, that brings back memories... ;)

BTW, the game system is iron clad.
Funny fact (obviously done by the Blue Blood's manipulation) the Ventrue are written as Venture in the description of the clans.
Also the whole thing about the illustrations is quite amusing.

Cheers!
Tiago,
:vent:

More
02 Dec 2011 18:55 #16853 by echiang

Funny fact (obviously done by the Blue Blood's manipulation) the Ventrue are written as Venture in the description of the clans.
Also the whole thing about the illustrations is quite amusing.

Well, that explains the old "Venture Justicar" misspelling. Maybe it was also their manipulation that resulted in the Ventrue Justicar card awarding the Tremere Justicar title....

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Dec 2011 19:04 #16855 by echiang
BTW: Regarding the "patent," it looks like it was filed June 22, 1994. The typical patent tends to last for 20 years, which means that it should lapse in 2014. (Wikipedia mentions a 1997 patent date, but the earlier patent might fall under the category of the old 17 year rule, so hopefully 2014 would still be the lapse date).

That of course assumes:

A. Some new function or discovery does not allow WotC to extend the patent (happens a lot in pharmaceuticals, seems less likely to happen with CCG's)

B. Would not cover "trademarks" such as DeckMaster (and maybe "tapping") or the "copyrights" of the WoD source material

If someone is an expert on IP, maybe they can confirm whether in just a couple years, the patent portion will no longer be a hurdle (which makes things slightly easier since WotC seemed to be the major bottleneck).

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Dec 2011 20:03 - 02 Dec 2011 20:04 #16860 by KevinM

I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure that the Deckmaster patent(s) -- there are three of them -- aren't overly-broad, and hence stifling innovation. At which point, someone who wished to enter into a legal battle with Hasbro should begin their campaign.

Personally, I really DO think the Deckmaster patents are overly-broad and could be smashed into nothingness with a proper legal challenge, but I have zero dollars with which to conduct a legal battle.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 02 Dec 2011 20:04 by KevinM.

More
02 Dec 2011 22:06 #16884 by johannes

I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure that the Deckmaster patent(s) -- there are three of them -- aren't overly-broad, and hence stifling innovation. At which point, someone who wished to enter into a legal battle with Hasbro should begin their campaign.

Personally, I really DO think the Deckmaster patents are overly-broad and could be smashed into nothingness with a proper legal challenge, but I have zero dollars with which to conduct a legal battle.

Especially since we would have to do this in a country where money wins over being right most of the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Brum, Jesper

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds