question-circle [HELP] History of the VEKN

18 Dec 2011 12:56 #18776 by Damnans
I would like to post the history of the VEKN in one of the sections on this website. I already published several historical data in the VEKN FAQ, but they are clearly insufficient.

So I encourage anyone who has any information about the history of the VEKN to post it here.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: echiang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2011 14:35 #18781 by Damnans
The first website of the VEKN can be found here:

wayback.archive.org/web/19980501000000*/http://madnessnetwork.hexagon.net

If any of you has enough time to browse that site and provide us with any relevant historic information about the VEKN, it will be much appreciated.

More
18 Dec 2011 16:12 #18785 by bakija
Get ahold of Goudie. He invented the whole thing (IIRC) and organized everything for a long time.

More
18 Dec 2011 16:25 #18786 by Damnans

Get ahold of Goudie. He invented the whole thing (IIRC) and organized everything for a long time.

Will do.

In the meantime, could you tell us about your job as Clan Newsletter Editor and member of the Inner Circle? When did you take that position? For how long?

More
18 Dec 2011 16:46 #18787 by bakija

In the meantime, could you tell us about your job as Clan Newsletter Editor and member of the Inner Circle? When did you take that position? For how long?

Oh. Sure. I forgot I did that for them :-)

The VEKN organized Clan Newsletters being posted on the usenet newsgroup starting in, apparently, 1998. I was the main organizer of this effort, which meant mostly that I encouraged people to do this, wrote and published the Newsletter FAQ and juggled who did what newslettter, mostly to avoid people stepping on other people's toes. By checking Jeff's archive, here were three published in March of '98 and the high water mark looks like 20 published in December '01. Some newsletters were very consistent, being published monthly (give or take) for years on end, some were very infrequent, some happened once or twice. We kept this going until about 2010--I personally wrote 60 total newsletters between '98 and '07, and it looks like '07 was about the point where things started dribbling off in general, which coincides conveniently with the rise of easily published personal blog pages, which resulted in folks making VTES blogs all over the place which meant the usenet newsletters ceased to be necessary, mostly. All the ones posted on the newsgroup have been archived on the Jeff/The Lasombra's page.

The usenet newsletter idea grew out of the original VEKN paper newsletter that we put together in the mid '90's. There were 2 or 3 (?) hard copy issues that were put together by the VEKN and mailed out to folks. I have a couple issues saved somewhere--they contained rulings, strategy articles, deck design, card errata, and a shoddily drawn comic for a couple issues (shoddily drawn by yours truly...). That is probably archived on the web somewhere too.

More
18 Dec 2011 17:20 #18789 by KevinM
Where is this web comic, shoddily drawn by an art teacher? I must see it.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds